Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage application, nosy bank

Options
  • 02-05-2019 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

The bank I am applying with (who are my current account bank) asked me questions about transactions well past 6 months back. Approx 9-12 months back. I thought only the past 6 months were relevant and they were only to look at the last 6 months?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jcb1986 wrote: »
    The bank I am applying with (who are my current account bank) asked me questions about transactions well past 6 months back. Approx 9-12 months back. I thought only the past 6 months were relevant and they were only to look at the last 6 months?

They have been known to ask for 12 months

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They can go back however far they want really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

You can always tell them to mind their own business.

and they can always tell you that they don't want to give you a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Do you want a mortgage or not? Banks hold the keys to the funds so play ball with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

jcb1986 wrote: »

They have discretion to go back further. Esp if something in the statements of last 6 months has flagged something they want to look into forward. As another poster said you can say no but they won’t give you a mortgage so you don’t have much sway on this.

Rebuilding Ireland look for 12 months and if your self employed I think it can be 2-3 years so anything can go really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

So nosey!
    Let's assume it's a person rather than a bank.

Hey, give me a loan of €300k.

Hmm, how do I know you'll pay me back? What do you do with your income?

How dare you ask me that? :P

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

As long as they don't ask what exactly you were buying from Massivedildo.com, I would answer all their questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I had to show the last 3 years of my statements to get my loan approval. If all they want from you is going to be 12 months then count yourself lucky OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I was asked for a year's statements from savings account and 6 months of everything else. Is there any reason you don't want them to see older statements? Seeing as someone is poring over 6 months worth of your finances anyway, what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Simple, just tell them to mind their own business. Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement