Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exact Length?

• 02-05-2019 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Would a shorter cable or even just exact length make a difference to my upload and download speeds. I mean cable from phone inlet at the door to back of router. One cable goes directly to house phone and the other directly to back of router. RJ11(I think).
    Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Those cables tend to be flat. As such they're a bad influence and the shorter the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

ED E wrote: »
    Those cables tend to be flat. As such they're a bad influence and the shorter the better.

Can you recommend a good cable 4 or 5 metres would be grand,.at the moment I have about 7metres spooled around itself as I don't need such a length of cable.

Perfect scenario is cut that to 1m.

If you want to run it 5m then get some CAT5 and terminate it with RJ11s on one pair.

This is CAT5 already crimped with RJ11,. am I right,will this do the job??

IMG_20190502_203344.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Perfect example of someone who knows little to nothing about the topic. Correct Answer. little to no difference, Most attenuation takes place after this box in the phone lines.

Heard the saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

• Advertisement

Perfect example of someone who knows little to nothing about the topic. Correct Answer. little to no difference, Most attenuation takes place after this box in the phone lines.

Heard the saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Yeah except not when its flat alu cabling. 4km vs 5m is nothing if we're both talking apples not apples vs oranges. Untwist is the enemy of longer ADSL runs and can stomp on VDSL in the wrong environment.

This is CAT5 already crimped with RJ11,. am I right,will this do the job??

IMG_20190502_203344.jpg

Thats the one, assuming they haven't put total junk in the cable it'll mean you're doing the best you can.

If you check your dsl stats before and after you can see if there were any gains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

It will make no difference.

Thats the one, assuming they haven't put total junk in the cable it'll mean you're doing the best you can.

If you check your dsl stats before and after you can see if there were any gains.

Kudos,. you were spot on, cable arrived and now getting 10mbps more than before in download and that's just what I wanted.

IMG_20190508_015244.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Kudos,. you were spot on, cable arrived and now getting 10mbps more than before in download and that's just what I wanted.

IMG_20190508_015244.jpg

That's a significant jump, very good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement