Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a laptop

Options
  • 02-05-2019 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a laptop for my mum who is only really going to be using it for basic purposes: videos, online shopping, browsing the Web, letters etc. Also something that's relatively light where she can carry around as she's got shoulder issues.
    Could anyone recommend something that's of good quality and gives the most bang for its buck around the 200-300 euro mark.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,025 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

noddy78779 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a laptop for my mum who is only really going to be using it for basic purposes: videos, online shopping, browsing the Web, letters etc. Also something that's relatively light where she can carry around as she's got shoulder issues.
    Could anyone recommend something that's of good quality and gives the most bang for its buck around the 200-300 euro mark.
    Thanks

I just had a quick look at cheap laptops and most of them seem burdened with celeron or amd a6 processors. If going new, I'd suggest paying enough to escape these godawful processors... It's better to be happy shopping online with a decent second hand laptop with decent processing then a brand new celeron. A friend gave me a decent laptop that was underperforming and there was nothing wrong with it at all. Everything was working perfectly as expected with the worst processor in history...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

the first option asj j williams suggested seems perfect ssd 8gb ram, will last years if using for browsing and stuff, in general you could even go for likes of Chromebook, needs getting used to but with usage for older people celeron or whatever is more then enough processing they will ever need. 300 or if you can go 350 seems decent machine, and no need to look at second hand stuff.

Anything but a celeron no matter how old you are :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I'd say just get her an iPad. It's perfect for day-to-day stuff, and easy to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi op

why not a tablet, with a keyboard add on? you are going to get a cheap nasty laptop with a short shelf life, for the budget suggested.

I got the ipad 2018 model last year for my missus, and she loves it. hasn't turned on a laptop since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

get a refurb business class type laptop. You can get a refurb proper laptop for same price a new retail one which maybe a couple of years old but always a better option IMO if want something of good quality and still cheap.

Search for 'laptop refurbished' on https://www.amazon.co.uk

Look for the non crappy retail options and always get with SSD disk and ideally 16GB

see examples here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=laptop+refurbished&i=computers&rh=n%3A429886031%2Cp_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin%3A7472680031%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A1481783031&dc&crid=1C19DM65AC3YE&qid=1556890492&rnid=182781031&sprefix=laptop+refurbished%2Caps%2C410&ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-bin_6

I purchased 6 x HP EliteBooks for my family and some cousins recently and they all love them. They are OK laptops but have excellent battery life, 8 or 16GB RAM, Windows 10 pro, 250GB+ SSD, very sturdy and usually around €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭noddy78779

Thanks for the input.. Much appreciated

Whilst a tablet seems like a good shout, the reason I'm not too keen on getting one is because my mum enrolled in a PC learners beginner course where they use PCs/laptops, so shes keen to get comfortable using a PC (even if it is still going to just be used for basic purposes as those listed above). Also it leaves her to practice on the laptop with the new things shes learned in her classes now that she has some more free time.

The options listed above look quite reasonable for the price listed. Additionally I asked my brother what ACER laptop hes using as it has lasted him through college with some heavy use. It was 400 at the time so should be much cheaper now. If weight is an issue I'll just get a slimmer/smaller version.

Advertisement