Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expectations from initial consultation from architect

• 02-05-2019 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

At the start of last month an architect came around to discuss an extension. He listened to our ideas, said planning permission would be grand without discussing what would be needed and said he'd sketch some stuff out.

A month later and no word until today when we got an invoice for 185 euro. Seems like a waste of time and money as we got no new info or direction on how to proceed.

I mailed him asking about the sketches and the stuff we were told he'd discuss with us. Awaiting a reply, but wondering what normally you'd expect from a paid initial consultation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

At the start of last month an architect came around to discuss an extension. He listened to our ideas, said planning permission would be grand without discussing what would be needed and said he'd sketch some stuff out.

A month later and no word until today when we got an invoice for 185 euro. Seems like a waste of time and money as we got no new info or direction on how to proceed.

I mailed him asking about the sketches and the stuff we were told he'd discuss with us. Awaiting a reply, but wondering what normally you'd expect from a paid initial consultation?

what was agreed for him to call?
    How long was the discussion?
    how far did he travel?
    was a fee explicitly agreed before hand?
    I might even know this guy, at 150 plus vat
    is the second initial M?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

what was agreed for him to call?
    How long was the discussion?
    how far did he travel?
    was a fee explicitly agreed before hand?
    I might even know this guy, at 150 plus vat
    is the second initial M?
    What was agreed:
    “We can discuss Orientation, use of existing space, connection to the garden/landscape/view, space requirements etc.
    We can discuss planning restrictions/obligations and I can advise if I feel any of these will be an issue and if so how we might approach them,.
    We can discuss budget and program. I will bring some drawings and images of projects recently tendered and completed so that you can get a feel for the costs of construction.
    I can explain the stages of the project and we can get a feel for which services we provide might be interesting to you.
    This meeting allows you to get a feel for how to move forward with the project“

None of this was covered. It was about half an hour of my wife showing him around and describing her ideas, which he seemed enthusiastic about.
    16km
    Fee was agreed.
    Not ‘m’

He said he’d send sketches. Thought he would outline ideas and how to proceed then. Instead we just hear nothing and get a bill.

Well tell him as much

I did.

I did.

You need to spell out your expectations, his shortfalls, and the fact that you agreed the fee assuming he delivered what he promised and that you will pay when he delivers what he promised.
    In passing, you won't be using him again.
    You need to document it in case he goes legal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Sounds like you agreed for him to call around and offer design advice that you have not recieved?

I'd say to him you recieved the bill and as soon as you recieve his design report you will be happy to pay.

For 200quid I wouldn't expect a comprehensive document.

Not going to go as far as litigation over the payment/service because for us it would be more stress than it would be worth.

He said he'd provide sketches. Is that something that you'd typically expect from something like this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not going to go as far as litigation over the payment/service because for us it would be more stress than it would be worth.

He said he'd provide sketches. Is that something that you'd typically expect from something like this?

No, in my opinion.
    Its similar to going into a Kitchen place to get a quote.
    They typically don't give you the 3D plans until you place a deposit.

Because, you can simply go to a cheaper company or someone else with the plans and say that's what we want.

Consultation would be a meet and greet in my opinion.
    See how you get on with the Architect, see what ideas they have, maybe show you some photos and examples of what they see as fitting for your property but not provide sketches in my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't provide any form of sketch/drawing.

kceire wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't provide any form of sketch/drawing.

Your personal preference is irrelevant.

If the agreement was to recieve sketches, OP is well within his rights to wait until these are recieved to process payment.

The agreement didn't include sketches, but he said he'd do them when we met him. He didn't cover the stuff in the agreement, but we expected him to follow up later with the sketches.

• Advertisement

riemann wrote: »
    Your personal preference is irrelevant.

If the agreement was to recieve sketches, OP is well within his rights to wait until these are recieved to process payment.

Think you need to calm down and read the thread properly before jumping in with 34% of the facts :rolleyes:

The OP stated that the initial agreement didn't include sketches.
    The OP asked if it was typical for sketches to be provided from a consultation.

I gave him a real world example from someone working in this area, whether you agree with this or not is irrelevant and provides nothing to the thread at hand.

Now, isuggest you read the bolded part below.
    The agreement didn't include sketches, but he said he'd do them when we met him. He didn't cover the stuff in the agreement, but we expected him to follow up later with the sketches.

kceire wrote: »
    Think you need to calm down and read the thread properly before jumping in with 34% of the facts :rolleyes:

The OP stated that the initial agreement didn't include sketches.
    The OP asked if it was typical for sketches to be provided from a consultation.

I gave him a real world example from someone working in this area, whether you agree with this or not is irrelevant and provides nothing to the thread at hand.

Now, I suggest you read the bolded part below.

I suggest you read the first post again.

riemann wrote: »
    I suggest you read the first post again.

Your ok. The OP has confirmed already that sketches were not part of the brief.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I would not provide sketches in this situation - To avoid a potential client getting hung up on a first draft before things are fully resolved.

Advertisement