Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips/Advice on bringing toddler swimming

• 02-05-2019 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi
    Just looking for some general tips and advice on bringing my 18month old to a swimming pool for the first time,was thinking of trying out Ballymun pool .
    So I'm just wondering what should I bring for the toddler.
    Goggles ?
    Some sort of flotation device ?
    Anything I'd need ..swimming cap ?

I'm kind of clueless I've not been to a pool in years myself
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

hi i found fabric hat better than plastic ones. they're starving after swimming. i used to wrap mine in towel give her wrap with cream cheese and bottle of milk while i dressed. arm bands handy but you'd have to still hold her. i saw in aldi or lidl had like a life jacket which maybe they wouldnt need u too hold them. bring a few floaty toys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Are waterproof pants required? I'm thinking of nappies and toilet functions. How do you cope with that?
    And I'm asking from an entirely self-interested point of view.

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are waterproof pants required? I'm thinking of nappies and toilet functions. How do you cope with that?
    And I'm asking from an entirely self-interested point of view.

You buy special swim nappies, and then the swimming togs themselves are kind of like a nappy in that they are tight around the legs and tummy. 2 layers, neither of which is supposed to leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Feed before and after. Before helps them last longer in the pool, after they're starving.

Buggy is great to strap them in while you get ready yourself before and after.

After togs off, dry them, nappy on, wrap them in a blanket, then into the buggy with food and get yourself sorted. Then dress them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Make sure and bring a decent towel for yourself, that will stay around you if you need to dress toddler first.
    Is the pool nice and warm? Some have better temps than others, if the one you’re going to is a bit warmer it’s much more pleasant- for both adult and baby- I always find that when I bring my kiddies swimming, I’m freezing, because I’m more stationary than if I went by myself.
    A buggy in the change room is handy, but some places don’t allow it,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Food.Warm bottle of milk, no matter how warm the pool they are always cold after.Wouldn't do armbands etc yet.Material hat although they may not need one.No googles needed.Happy nappy or equivalent, and water nappies, you will get Huggies ones in most shops.Wipes, nappy bags and a spare nappy or two in your bag-i didn't bring my changing bag to the pool, but I got caught with a dirty nappy beforehand the odd time, and you need something clean them up before sticking swimming gear on!!Also 20/30 mins in the water is more than enough at that age.

I would be reluctant to put a flotation device on such a small child to be honest, for safety reasons.Often they want to hold onto you for security anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply

Looks like I don't need much at all to start with I already have some swim nappies just need to pick up a neoprene one in boots, I'll skip the goggles and armbands/ring.

Won't know the size of the changing room until I go ,would be great if a small buggy would fit as getting dressed afterwards sounds like a lot of effort I'll be bringing plenty of snacks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

My advice would be to try not to bring a buggy/carseat into the changing room. They are the biggest pain in the arse, in my opinion for both yourself and others, they are never not in the way. I've been bringing my daughter swimming since she was 8 months, heading on 3 years old now. What I've always done is get baby dressed first, give her some food and change then myself when she's munching away - you just need to be organised.

We've never used goggles or floats, and so far she hasn't needed a swim hat, I think this all depends on the amount of hair they have. Mothercare also do the outter swim nappy/togs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleWhiteDog

Ballymun should have family changing rooms which include a seat with straps for a toddler so you can pop them there while getting changed. Call them & see. I would imagine that pool is quite cold though as it's a public pool. I've never swam there but my son does. The facilities are nice & clean with private cubicle changing rooms which is handy with a toddler so you can whip everything off!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleWhiteDog

Also I recommend Childs Farm 3 in 1 swim shower gel. It's amazing for removing the chlorine from the baby's skin after swimming. They sell it in boots usually. It's a clear bottle with a green lid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement