Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lawn

Options
  • 03-05-2019 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, Aussie in Dublin helping daughter establish a new garden and lawn. Have cleaned up area and will run a rotovator over it. About 30 m2 of grass. Any suggestions of type of lawn, grass seed that is best for the area, but also keeping to a modest budget. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

OziHam wrote: »
    Hi, Aussie in Dublin helping daughter establish a new garden and lawn. Have cleaned up area and will run a rotovator over it. About 30 m2 of grass. Any suggestions of type of lawn, grass seed that is best for the area, but also keeping to a modest budget. Thanks.

I'd go with shop bought seed for that size lawn. Irish soil/grass is very different to Aussie variety!. First get rid of all weeds, scutch grass, debris, blocks, builders rubbish under the soil: basically anything which should not be there, then add standard compost and rake soil and compost mix flat. Water, then hand shake the grass seed in sections and water again very regularly, every day really, especially in dry weather. I used grass seed bought in woodies (Large DIY chain). You'll have a few seed options, all depends on what type of soil and amount of sunshine garden gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I used this seed about two weeks ago https://www.diy.com/departments/verve-universal-lawn-seed-1-5kg/1607664_BQ.prd and I'm only now starting to see very small, sparse grass shoots. I think I made a mistake in not raking the seeds after seeding. After raking it seemed to move things along. The box doesn't specify how long it takes for the grass to grow even though the website says 7-21 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

I found it easier to mark out the lawn in square metres with bamboo sticks to make sure I had cleared the weeds properly and to ensure a good spread of grass seed. I got a good tip to mix grass seed in a bucket of compost to promote growth.
    The wood pigeons drove me nuts eating the seed. Dealz have very cheap netting (6m x1.5m for €1.50) that might be worth using.

Advertisement