Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dallas suggestions

Options
  • 03-05-2019 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

Have a few days in Dallas later this month and looking for recommendations on things to do/see. Want to visit Dealey Plaza, 6th Floor Museum and JFK related locations.

I won't be driving but will be staying downtown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lotech23

I've no idea if your trip has passed but if it hasn't I'd be glad to offer some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

lotech23 wrote: »
    I've no idea if your trip has passed but if it hasn't I'd be glad to offer some advice.

Actually here right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lotech23

I found the 6th floor museum interesting but quite sombre. It didn't really stray too far from the "official" version of events which meant it felt a bit bland to me. Definitely worth a look though.

If you're looking for a bit of nightlife then head up to Greenville. It's well priced and there are loads and loads of great spots to eat and drink. Wabi House and the Truckyard would be particular favourites of mine. I didn't really enjoy the Aquarium. The Meadows Museum and the Dallas Heritage Trail/Village? Were favourites of mine. If you want to ask anything specific feel free. I'm not sure what you're looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Try and figure out who shot JR 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Try and figure out who shot JR ��

It was Kristen, his sister in law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Head down to mackiney avenue for a few pints. Serious hot spot of nightlife and most people there will have never met an Irish person. Red and neck come to mind. Think Jessica Simpson multiplied x a thousand.

The steak In dallas is a different breed.
    I got a rare steak and it was literally cold it had spent so little time on the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Check out that grassy knoll. I reckon they missed something. Check for shell casings etc. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

Southfork. I drove there on both occasions but not sure about other transport to the ranch.

A couple of Ewing Oil buildings downtown also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

are you still there? I know Dallas very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The Plaza is f*cked up. Talk about doing the bare minimum to memorialize him. Downtown Dallas is also a ghost town at night. You need to drive out to one of the other cities in the metro to feel like there's anything going on, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The Plaza is f*cked up. Talk about doing the bare minimum to memorialize him. Downtown Dallas is also a ghost town at night. You need to drive out to one of the other cities in the metro to feel like there's anything going on, imo.

The plaza is purposely kept identically to what it was in 1963 right down to the picket fence on the hill. The JKF Memorial Plaza right next to the plaza is quite impressive and quite the opposite of 'bare minimum'!

Downtown is just business but there are so many very lively areas within very short distances (minutes) of downtown. example Uptown, Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville and Knox/Henderson. All these area are always jam packed with very good restaurants, bars, shops, etc... and always very busy.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    The plaza is purposely kept identically to what it was in 1963 right down to the picket fence on the hill. The JKF Memorial Plaza right next to the plaza is quite impressive and quite the opposite of 'bare minimum'!

Downtown is just business but there are so many very lively areas within very short distances (minutes) of downtown. example Uptown, Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville and Knox/Henderson. All these area are always jam packed with very good restaurants, bars, shops, etc... and always very busy.

It's normal. Phoenix and other large metro areas have f*ck all going on downtown to. It's not unique Dallas but it is true. There is nothing going on down there.

Obviously, the JFK thing is subjective. I didn't think it was all that impressive. I did a quick Google just now and apparently, Dallas News feels the same:

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/architecture/2013/11/16/architecture-commentary-markers-of-jfk-tragedy-fail-to-impress

According to the Dallas Observer, the city is ashamed of it:

Which makes sense and is better than my assumption which was that since he has been seen as a liberal darling and it's right wing state, they didn't care to memorialize him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Stayed on Dallas number of times with work, 2-3 weeks each time.

Absolutely hateful place. There’s 2-3 things to see and then that’s it. Just sun, rednecks and drink.

_Brian wrote: »
    Stayed on Dallas number of times with work, 2-3 weeks each time.

Absolutely hateful place. There’s 2-3 things to see and then that’s it. Just sun, rednecks and drink.

Heyyyyy, what about Whataburger!?

I have only been to Dallas and Houston in terms of Texas cities. Didn't care for either. I have heard great things about Austin but anyone who has told me that also qualified it's because it's a younger more progressive population.

I lived in Phoenix. Dallas was pretty similar. Some cool spots around the metro. A dead do nothing downtown. (At least Phoenix has a cool alternative artsy vibe downtown, Dallas does not). It is what it is. I have two friends who live in Dallas and love it and one friend who lives Houston and loves it. Different strokes for different folks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Heyyyyy, what about Whataburger!? ...

I lived in Phoenix. Dallas was pretty similar. Some cool spots around the metro. A dead do nothing downtown. (At least Phoenix has a cool alternative artsy vibe downtown, Dallas does not). It is what it is. I have two friends who live in Dallas and love it and one friend who lives Houston and loves it. Different strokes for different folks.

Whataburger isn’t great at all, dont see the fuss. Rather a shake shack if I was getting a burger. And yeah Downtown is dead but its more a business and state offices district with a few hotels and restaurants, plenty of life in Uptown and Deep Ellum has the artsy vibe you are looking for with some great food and great bars, Greenville is decent too.

Advertisement