Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot get a landline, Manhole is covered

Options
  • 03-05-2019 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi Team,

I hope someone can help me.

Eir called out to install my broadband I ordered on Monday.

The engineer has called twice now.

1st time he couldnt locate the duct.

2nd time we found the duct and ran into issues.

They cannot locate the manhole.

They believe it is covered under tar

The minute they said it I looked out to the road in front of our house and low and behold there is a black square of tar layed out.

I live in an estate where eir is widely installed.

This was confirmed by the engineer.

Where do I go from here?

If I need a phone line(for work at home purposes) are Eir required to be
    able to provide this?

Also will Eir start charging me for a service that cannot be delivered?

Thanks

Vin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Is this a new estate? Has the maintenance of the roadways been passed over to the local council? If so, your gripe is with them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Eir won't dig up the road. You need to find who covered the manhole and get them to uncover it. Otherwise you aren't getting Eir, or any of their resellers, wired broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No they won't touch the manhole or dig any ground for you in or around your garden. Had issues with mine too but got sorted in the end after digging myself. Not on the road, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

homer911 wrote: »
    Is this a new estate? Has the maintenance of the roadways been passed over to the local council? If so, your gripe is with them

It’s an oldish estate, 15/20 years. Yeah I figured but I thought I’d ask. So basically if I want a landline there’s no hope at all. How about open air? Or even comteg? Would comreg do anything?
    Can open air not get a license to dig up the road regardless of who owns it

I don’t want sound like I am entitled to this or anything I am just trying to figure out what’s my best option

No. Eir won't touch it for you. It's not their problem. You need the council of whoever covered up the road.

Not sure how you'd think it's an issue for comreg?

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    No. Eir won't touch it for you. It's not their problem. You need the council of whoever covered up the road.

Not sure how you'd think it's an issue for comreg?

But Do eir not have a Universal Service Obligation which means they're the guys to talk to?
    How do I find out who covered the road in the estate ?

This was posted on the broadband> imagine thread as I was querying imagine broadband and have them my backstory

If the manhole is covered / tarmaced over, a provider of OpenEIR will actually get them to sort this out as part of an order

skinny90 wrote: »
    But Do eir not have a Universal Service Obligation which means they're the guys to talk to?
    How do I find out who covered the road in the estate ?

The universal service is for voice calls, if they can't access you with wire or fibre you get a wireless phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

We ran into a similar problem when we bought our house. Eir came out to install tv, phone and broadband but when the technician arrived he couldnt find the point where the phone line entered the house. Turns out the original owner did not want a phone line when the house was built in the 60s and so the house was never connected up. Obviously to do so now would mean, as you say, digging up the pavement. We panicked initially but realised you can have a landline, broad band etc with Vodafone, Virgin and possibly Sky because they all utilise the tv lines, not the phone lines, even when installing a phone. We've had tv, broadband and landline here with no issues. I had to cancel our Eir service, which they tried to quibble I think because they just didn't understand the situation, but in the end I managed to make them see that we had absolutely no way of availing of their service.

We ran into a similar problem when we bought our house. Eir came out to install tv, phone and broadband but when the technician arrived he couldnt find the point where the phone line entered the house. Turns out the original owner did not want a phone line when the house was built in the 60s and so the house was never connected up. Obviously to do so now would mean, as you say, digging up the pavement. We panicked initially but realised you can have a landline, broad band etc with Vodafone, Virgin and possibly Sky because they all utilise the tv lines, not the phone lines, even when installing a phone. We've had tv, broadband and landline here with no issues. I had to cancel our Eir service, which they tried to quibble I think because they just didn't understand the situation, but in the end I managed to make them see that we had absolutely no way of availing of their service.

Sorry can you confirm for bb Vodafone and Sky uses the tv lines rather than the phone lines. Would have thought for sure it wasn’t the case

• Advertisement

Sorry can you confirm for bb Vodafone and Sky uses the tv lines rather than the phone lines. Would have thought for sure it wasn’t the case

Yes, definitely Vodafone. We have TV, broadband and home phone with them, all without a phone line. Can't remember for sure about Sky but I think when we were trying to pick a provider they were also in the mix. Definitely Virgin also as we had them originally but then switched to Vodafone.

Yes, definitely Vodafone. We have TV, broadband and home phone with them, all without a phone line. Can't remember for sure about Sky but I think when we were trying to pick a provider they were also in the mix. Definitely Virgin also as we had them originally but then switched to Vodafone.

Jeez that’s great, il get on to Vodafone first thing tomorrow. Easiest way of solving this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

You’re probably using Vodafone’s services via the Siro network.

kbell wrote: »
    You’re probably using Vodafone’s services via the Siro network.

Yes we are and I suppose I should add that it only became available in our area (in Dublin) about a year ago so I'm not sure how far the roll out has gone. Worth ringing all of the companies in any case, you will definitely find a solution by just using a different provider to Eir.

Siro is delivered via a fibre optic cable running parallel to your electric supply either overhead or underground via your mini pilar to fuse cabinet.
    Siro are resold by Vodafone and a few other providers.
    It’s a separate network to a copper phone cable running into your house.

Siro is delivered via a fibre optic cable running parallel to your electric supply either overhead or underground via your mini pilar to fuse cabinet.
    Siro are resold by Vodafone and a few other providers.
    It’s a separate network to a copper phone cable running into your house.

So if I am not in a Siro network am I still stuck or can they deliver broadband via the tv cables coming into the house?

Thanks

So if I am not in a Siro network am I still stuck or can they deliver broadband via the tv cables coming into the house?

Thanks

IIRC only Virgin do cable broadband. If they aren't in your estate you'll need to chase the person who covered the manhole or it could always be uncovered by someone with a pick and shovel;).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Virgin are a good option for broadband. We’ve never had an active phone line in any of our houses, but instead have always used UPC/Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Vodafone resell eir so the above isn't true..

The only seller not using eir infra for fixed broadband is Virgin

Unless it's FTTH then lucky you

lawred2 wrote: »
    Vodafone resell eir so the above isn't true..

The only seller not using eir infra for fixed broadband is Virgin

Unless it's FTTH then lucky you

What part is untrue?
    We definitely do not have a connection to the Eir network infrastructure from our house.
    We have TV, broadband, phone with Vodafone.

• Advertisement

How is it connected? They've got to run the cables somehow?

A lot of Similar questions being asked so..

If you have no access to the copper phone network ( open eir owned, resold by multiple providers) either underground or overhead, then your options are...

FTTH (if available ) (open eir owned, resold by multiple providers) delivered via fibre optic cable to your home. Either by underground ducting or overhead via pole.

Siro - (which you have) delivered to your home via fibre optic cable parallel to your electrical supply (Vodafone and one or two others resell this )

Virgin media - if available, delivered to your home via virgins own network either from underground or overhead cabling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Is the likes of Digiweb Metro no longer available?

A lot of Similar questions being asked so..

If you have no access to the copper phone network ( open eir owned, resold by multiple providers) either underground or overhead, then your options are...

FTTH (if available ) (open eir owned, resold by multiple providers) delivered via fibre optic cable to your home. Either by underground ducting or overhead via pole.

Siro - (which you have) delivered to your home via fibre optic cable parallel to your electrical supply (Vodafone and one or two others resell this )

Virgin media - if available, delivered to your home via virgins own network either from underground or overhead cabling.

Hey, thanks for that. How do I know if siro is available? Siro checker states that is not available in renville :-(

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hey, thanks for that. How do I know if siro is available? Siro checker states that is not available in renville :-(

Just start ringing around the providers

Is the likes of Digiweb Metro no longer available?

Yup it is, there’s a few wireless and cellular providers, satellite too.
    I only listed fixed line options :)

Advertisement