Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Action/ Recruitment: long-term unemployed

Options
  • 03-05-2019 5:44pm

I'm thinking of posting a job vacancy, seeking someone who is long-term unemployed (I think the definition of that is having been out of work for 12 months)

I'm not doing this for wholly altruistic reasons, although I think it's the right thing to do; but also because the tasks involved do no't require prior experience and, notably, there may also be a grant available (JobsPlus) in doing so.

I would be particularly keen on hiring someone in an older age group who is coming close to the end of their working years and wants a low-pressure job to keep them out of the house, but I probably cannot advertise that.

Can I advertise for any applicant who is long-term unemployed without falling foul of the Employment Equality Acts and other legislation?

I am fairly sure it constitutes a positive action, and therefore is not discriminatory, but I'd appreciate any kind of information you may have to share.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

I would think that if you register with Jobsplus as an employer https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/JobsPlus-Employers.aspx then the whole point is that you DO advertise the position as suitable for eg a 50+ long term unemployed person, under the Jobsplus scheme etc.
    Even if you don't sign up to the scheme to avail of the grant, similar wording in a job vacancy advert (eg may suit older person, approaching retirement, that sort of thing) wouldn't be considered discriminatory IMHO.

Advertisement