Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV better than Alarms

Options
  • 03-05-2019 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Would most Boardsies concur with these findings: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/18/former-burglars-barking-dogs-cctv-best-deterrent

Am trying to finalise a security solution for the house, having invested in very secure (anti bump/pick) locks and now considering IP cameras as the next deterrent. Whats the current thinking? I live in a terraced house in a large town with a back garden with rear access (with a few rows of barbed wire for additional deterring!)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ideally, both an alarm system and CCTV cameras are your best bet.

Cameras have gotten so cheap I'd say they are a no brainer now IMO, but I wouldn't like to completely rely on them.

For a terraced house, two cameras, one front, one back, is probably enough. Motion activated flood lights are good to have too. I also like the idea of those doorbell cameras, that allow you to talk to people at the door from your phone.

I'd also think about maybe two cheap IP cameras inside the house pointing at the front and back doors. Yi Cameras cost like just €20 each. I find outside cameras can give you lots of false alerts (wind blowing leaves, etc.). The reason for the inside ones, if you are out and they trigger, well that would indicate something is definitely up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Would most Boardsies concur with these findings: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/18/former-burglars-barking-dogs-cctv-best-deterrent

Am trying to finalise a security solution for the house, having invested in very secure (anti bump/pick) locks and now considering IP cameras as the next deterrent. Whats the current thinking? I live in a terraced house in a large town with a back garden with rear access (with a few rows of barbed wire for additional deterring!)

Firstly, that is a UK publication and the equipment which Intruder Alarm companies install in domestic properties over there differ from here.
    Usually all they specify and install is just beams and a few contacts to doors.

Where as here, an intruder has to contend with a much bigger challenge, assuming of course it is not a bargain basement never never type system, where the consumer is taken in by price and slick marketing and end up with a system just like that which is normal in the UK.

A properly installed and specified system in Ireland is usually, I am referring here of course to those of us who believe in doing an installation properly, will consist of shock sensors and contacts to all external doors and windows and the reliance of beams as only, a back up, or indeed for alarm verification purposes.
    The systems which are properly specified and installed here will activate before the intruder has actually gained access to the property, say if they attempt to kick in a door, the vibration will be detected by the shock sensor and then the alarm will make a racket and no doubt Mr Scummy will depart in the direction he came from.

But in order for you query to be relevant here in Ireland, then we would really need to gather the opinion of a few of our own home grown scummers.

Then onto CCTV, the biggest difference here and it must be kept in mind, both systems do different jobs, even though they are both in the security sphere.
    The bottom line is, an alarm will activate and hopefully notify immediately in the event of a break in ( or attempted one for that matter ).
    A CCTV system will just record the event and will provide footage after the actual event.

An alarm system that is up to standard and as i mentioned earlier, properly specified and installed will continue to operate in the event of a power cut.
    A CCTV system in all probability will not.

Criminals can wear hoodies and conceal themselves when they know there is CCTV etc, no matter how good the CCTV system is, it cannot take off hoodies of suspects.

As an example, have a look at those recent ATM robberies up North, it was alarm systems that notified the Police / Gardai, as can be seen quite clearly from the CCTV images, the criminals cannot be identified.

If you feel it is a case of an Intruder Alarm or a CCTV system, then my advice would be to start with the Alarm System, then by all means follow on with the CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You get what you pay for, same as most things.

That is a one size fits all approach out of a box.

The detectors on offer are the ones i referred to in my earlier post.

This is the sort of stuff that is referred to in the OP's link, that burglars are not particularly deterred by.

It is not what a professional Installer would specify

Advertisement