Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edging a gravel patio with paving bricks?

Options
  • 03-05-2019 7:32pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I am planning on building a gravel patio over the next few weeks and have a pile of left over paving bricks (the kind you see on cobblelock driveways.

They are 2 inches by six so I'm planning on putting in a hard-core layer then sand and then weedblock and using the bricks as a border for the gravel.

My query is would the sand and cement type mix you can buy be ok to seal the spaces between the bricks?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Used to use red bricks a lot for lawn, bed and path edging. If you have a good foundation you can just lay them on sand although I prefer a sand and cement mix. I never used to put anything between the bricks except in rare cases when I'd use a normal cement mix and point the gaps just like in a brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

My edging bricks are about 6 inches by 6 inches. I didn't use any cement mix just put them down on sand. I guess you might need something though for the smaller brick. No problems at all except for the ants building nest beneath them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

If the outside edge of your proposed border is grass, I'd be afraid of grass ingress coming through into the gravel. I'd also be concerned that a 50mm border is not wide enough, unless you are laying them side by side on the long side? If the bricks are going to suffer from traffic, they will come loose and you will get grass/weed ingress unless you set them in concrete - mortar wont be enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

homer911 wrote: »
    If the outside edge of your proposed border is grass, I'd be afraid of grass ingress coming through into the gravel. I'd also be concerned that a 50mm border is not wide enough, unless you are laying them side by side on the long side? If the bricks are going to suffer from traffic, they will come loose and you will get grass/weed ingress unless you set them in concrete - mortar wont be enough

Doesn't bother me as I'd spray the edges with glyphosate a few times a year. If you just touch any bits that start to grow through you won't kill big strips of grass but it is a bit of a knack.

No need for concrete if the foundations are good enough. All soil needs to be removed down to subsoil. Most edges are there only to separate path from grass, grass from bed ect so never take much traffic. Always make the edge higher than the path by a little to keep the gravel on it and lower or the same height as the grass so the mower can cut over the edge and lift the grass to cut it which helps stop it spread.

Its also a case of a poor edge on no foundations (handy between bed and grass - can easily be moved) can save time and effort in the long run and is better than no edge at all. There's too much concrete as it is in many gardens.

Advertisement