Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor pension return

• 03-05-2019 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I just go my annual pension statement, where it shows I invested 12k additional contributions and the pension had a return of -11k, on an overall pot of 150k. It's not only disappointing, but I'm flabbergasted thst in the current climate where stocks are generally high, that anyone could make a 10% loss. Is it just the case that pension firms are not really motivated to provide a decent return, given they are paid anyway?

Is there any pension that allows you to make your own investment decisions (not just pick from one of 4 funds) while still getting the usual tax breaks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,109 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What stocks is it invested in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Is that a statement for year ending 2018? If so, check current value. Mine was similar but recovered in early 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah a lot of markets fell in Oct - Dec 2018, but recovered most ot that already in 2019

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

tails_naf wrote: »
    I just go my annual pension statement, where it shows I invested 12k additional contributions and the pension had a return of -11k, on an overall pot of 150k. It's not only disappointing, but I'm flabbergasted thst in the current climate where stocks are generally high, that anyone could make a 10% loss. Is it just the case that pension firms are not really motivated to provide a decent return, given they are paid anyway?

Is there any pension that allows you to make your own investment decisions (not just pick from one of 4 funds) while still getting the usual tax breaks?

Given your analysis of your current fund.... I say you will loose money even quicker if left to your own devices.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I just go my annual pension statement, where it shows I invested 12k additional contributions and the pension had a return of -11k, on an overall pot of 150k. It's not only disappointing, but I'm flabbergasted thst in the current climate where stocks are generally high, that anyone could make a 10% loss. Is it just the case that pension firms are not really motivated to provide a decent return, given they are paid anyway
    If a fund isn't making returns, brokers wil start taking money out of the fund and then they won't be paid, so yes they have motivation to provide returns.
    Friends First (now Aviva) have a product called SDIO that allows you to put the pension pot you are building up into whatever shares you want rather than funds. So if you want to put 10% of your pension into Apple shares you can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

As the charges are based on fund values, the pension firm will get paid less of your find losses money. They'll get nothing if they're bad enough that you move providers.

Any of the pension fund providers will have pensions that allow you to make your own investments. If your pension is provided by your employer, you might not be able to move it to they option though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Who is your adviser OP? You should be addressing your issues to them initially.

Advertisement