Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill of Quantities

Options
  • 03-05-2019 7:52pm

Hi All,

Just wondering what People’s opinions are on a Bill of Quantities... for a domestic build, would a client want a BOQ produced to the “Agreed rules of Measurement” standard or would a basic bespoke BOQ be more suitable for a non professional to understand? What is the general consensus with this?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Maybe the question should be,

what will the contractor find easier to price?

And the contract manager ( typically architect &/or QS) find easier to compare several returned tender BOQ’s ?

Let’s go with that so!!

Basically what I’m trying to understand is; is a BOQ measured to ARM or SSM standards any good to your ordinary client or builder or is a simpler version more suitable to deliver the information?

May I ask Are you the client or Qs or contractor or student ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'll bite. Civils/structural

I'd always find it easier as client and contractor to use bespoke BOQ on small jobs.

1. Bespoke BOQ must be backed up by good, clean employer's requirements and contract.
    Otherwise leaving yourself open to a snipey QS coming at you from 5 different angles with claims.

2. Never feel obligated on a domestic to go with the cheapest price. Pick up the phone and confirm that they have priced and included all that you expect in line items. Confirm this in writing prior signing anything.

BryanF wrote: »
    May I ask Are you the client or Qs or contractor or student ?

QS, have been in the UK last 10 years QS’ing on large scale projects, just wondering what the ordinary customer wants in terms of a BOQ

• Advertisement

What sort of jobs are we talking about?

Genuine question, What does it mater to the customer what way it’s measured? Does the customer not just care about how easy it is to compare prices &/or how complete the price is &/or whether a lump sum can be agreed based on Boq ?

What sort of documents are provided to form basis of boq?

Well for example, a boq produced as per ARM or SSM contains information that to the ordinary man means nothing.....if a potential house builder asks me to produce a BOQ surely it needs to be a document that he / she read themselves too, for example, a simple description, quant etc. Obviously I can send this out to tender on their behalf but if they just want a Boq and want to do tendering themselves then they need to understand the document....

About your question; what sort of documents are provided to produce boq...for purely measure, detailed architects drawings

Advertisement