Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

gozunda wrote: »
    Ok let's try this again- just in case you missed it the first time. This is the hysteria ...

Ms Thunberg

And this is what one of the scientists responsible for theIPCC report said.

And again an independent scientist

If you dont see this - fine... :rolleyes: We will leave it there...

You've a weird definition of hysteria.

Where's the second quote from or who anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Can you link to evidence of this please?

Valentina zharkova. Her science is exact and link again is here. You responded with an unnamed quote and no science fact. She's ahead of her time. She was the only person who predicted this last min solar cycle, and she is predicting even more mins. She is NOT saying poison the earth, plastics etc should all be managed in an eco friendly way. But she is saying it buys us time. And she has been consistently right for the last 10 years. She hasn't had to adjust her graphs because they are accurate. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M_yqIj38UmY

• Registered Users Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

No as pointed out she is encouraging hysteria by using hyperbole / misinformation. And no I don't think that's a good thing. If anything she is causing harm to message that scientists are saying and derailing it. You may have your own opinion on that - I reckon we will just have to disagree.

Nobody listens to scientists. Nobody.

If what she's doing is getting results for us and future generations.
    Then good on her. She's the catalyst that the green movement needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NewClareman

This

That has been strongly refuted by the scientists I quoted.

And btw that just an example but they type of hysterical thinking she's pushed. However if you obviously can't see the issue there well ...

And I'll go with the scientists as opposed to some kid from Sweden who has admitted she is obsessed with her own imaginings...

You quote Myles Allen, Professor of Geosystem Science, Leader of ECI Climate Research Programme, University of Oxford.

At end you should also quote “Today’s teenagers are absolutely right to be up in arms about climate change, and right that they need powerful images to grab people’s attention.“ Better still his entire article should be required reading, for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

20Cent wrote: »
    When I was a kid everything was thrown in one bin, petrol had led in it, Dublin used to get terrible smog until smokey fuel was banned, smoking was commonplace everywhere, loads of other things have changed. They changed because they became an issue to enough people for something to be done about it. Same with this, big changes are possible.

Exactly, it changed before Greta because it's been an issue for years.

• Advertisement

Greta visited the UK Parliament two or three weeks ago and gave a widely covered speech. Theresa May declined (refused) to meet her.

Last week, it was announced that the UK Parliament has declared a Climate Emergency based on a motion tabled by Corbyn who met with Greta.

BBC News

Of course she is not going to change everything. She is not going to fix everything. But, she is doing more than many have done and it seems is forcing people to act based on the attention her actions have brought about.

Which is bull**** political posturing from Labour. Declaring a climate emergency is just total ****ing ****. It's a classic example of politicians making it look like they are doing something but doing absolutely nothing at all. From your own link:
    This proposal, which demonstrates the will of the Commons on the issue but does not legally compel the government to act, was approved without a vote.
    There is no single definition of what that [a climate emergency] means

And this is the issue. We need actually concrete proposals and ideas as opposed to inane 'activism'.

Good on Theresa May, she has better things to be doing then being lectured to by a teenager who has no academic qualifications, no proposals and no new ideas.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Exactly, it changed before Greta because it's been an issue for years.

And it changed because it was of concern to enought people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Why do you have to pay more carbon tax?
    Why not just change to more sustainable solutions like solar and wind. Get a cleaner car etc.
    Tax can be used to encourage a change in behaviour. Getting rid of a gas guzzler car will probably save people money.

It's not about me, but do you think people who can least afford to pay carbon tax, are going to run off and buy a new car and also put in some 40 grand heating and solar solution, what planet are you on ?

And it changed because it was of concern to enought people.

Which climate change already is, and has been for years. Greta has only become a "thing" in the past few months. She is isn't 'highlighting' anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You quote Myles Allen, Professor of Geosystem Science, Leader of ECI Climate Research Programme, University of Oxford. ....

Indeed I do. And this is the title of the article

Why protesters should be wary of ‘12 years to climate breakdown’ rhetoric

He gives the example of this type of ****e having the effect on a young child of a colleague who told him of "her 11-year-old coming home in tears after being told that, because of climate change, human civilisation might not survive for her to have children". So yeah hysteria no matter how you want to repackage it ..

• Advertisement

Nobelium wrote: »
    It's not about me, but do you think people who can least afford to pay carbon tax, are going to run off and buy a new car and also put in some 40 grand heating and solar solution, what planet are you on ?

Solar is getting cheaper and better all the time, same with electric cars. It can be a gradual thing.

Solar is getting cheaper and better all the time, same with electric cars. It can be a gradual thing.

But why Carbon taxes and not tax breaks. Tax breaks would be far more useful, at the very least it would put laid to rest the idea that governments use climate change to increase their revenue (which they do do imo)

Indeed I do. And this is the title of the article

Why protesters should be wary of ‘12 years to climate breakdown’ rhetoric

He gives the example of this type of ****e having the effect on a young child of a colleague who told him of "her 11-year-old coming home in tears after being told that, because of climate change, human civilisation might not survive for her to have children". So yeah hysteria no matter how you want to repackage it ..

Hysteria is an 11 year old crying now.
    So clowns, the ice cream van running out of ice cream and thunder can also be called causes of hysteria.

But why Carbon taxes and not tax breaks. Tax breaks would be far more useful, at the very least it would put laid to rest the idea that governments use climate change to increase their revenue (which they do do imo)

Carbon taxes to make fossel fuels less attractive and other methods more. There are tax breaks for using greener methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Electric cars are cheap and getting cheaper, the more people who can afford new cars switch to electric the more cars flow down the system.

You don’t need 40k, I have a fairly large house and for the system it would be 10k. Some guys on the forum here have retro fitted for a lot less

Solar is coming down but not fast enough, the government introduced a seai grant but the contractors just added this on as margin. They need to put a better plan in place

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Electric cars are cheap and getting cheaper, the more people who can afford new cars switch to electric the more cars flow down the system.

You don’t need 40k, I have a fairly large house and for the system it would be 10k. Some guys on the forum here have retro fitted for a lot less

Solar is coming down but not fast enough, the government introduced a seai grant but the contractors just added this on as margin. They need to put a better plan in place

Electric cars are cheap to buy ? for who exactly ?

10 grand ?? As I said you're not in the real world, those struggling to make ends meet each month in Irish society can't afford to run out and buy new electric cars and install carbon free heating systems, but they are the very people that will be hammered the most with carbon tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Let’s take electric cars for example, 10’years now the government has given 10k off new price, vrt free to import from UK. Free fuel from public charger and up take is tiny

Most people in Dublin with 2 cars could easily swap to one electric for commute but don’t. The carrot does not work in Ireland, never has

Even now, free BIK, free tolls and still limited uptake. The UK are getting rid of diesel by selling them to Irish buyers, it’s idiotic.

Unfortunately the only method to get people to move is tax the ass out of diesel and people will move, it will hurt people but what alternative do the government have

You actually see plonkers on here posting “diesel till I die” .....clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

tibruit wrote: »
    Frost in May is not unusual at all.

I remember snow in April during the 90’s and snow in May in the late 70’s. Seems like the people that lap up this nonsense have either short or very bad memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think people miss the fact that global warming wont affect the planet, it will affect us.
    The planet will just rumble on.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I remember snow in April during the 90’s and snow in May in the late 70’s. Seems like the people that lap up this nonsense have either short or very bad memories.

A lot of people are parroting shyte about heating systems and costs in warmer climates. Different ballgame here.

• Advertisement

What are the deniers afraid of anyway?

Cleaner more efficient cars, solar power less fuel bills, cleaner air and water. Sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

noodler wrote: »
    Alot of the nonsense some spout about this being a normal cycle etc completely ignored the fact we've never had 6bn, soon to be 8bn, humans on the planet.

Agreed, but people don't wanna listen to overpopulation argument.
    finally they are listening to global warming, but don't want to admit there is too many people on the planet.

I was in Ireland last week, couldn't believe the amount of people with 3/4/5 young children.

All in their SUVs driving down the road, mammy and daddy popping into the garage to get their coffee in the styrofoam cups.
    Stunning hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Scott Williams (@Scott42195) Tweeted:
    We just reached 415ppm for the first time in human history.
    This is the crisis. Now is the time for #DeepAdaptation.
    #TellTheTruth #ClimateEmergency #Extinction @ExtinctionR https://t.co/NwCaFE2wvW https://twitter.com/Scott42195/status/1124928710849847296?s=17

The reduction in co2 from May to October is the result of the northern hemisphere having a larger landmass to the southern and it's plantlife taking in that co2 as it grows.

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Agreed, but people don't wanna listen to overpopulation argument.
    finally they are listening to global warming, but don't want to admit there is too many people on the planet.

I was in Ireland last week, couldn't believe the amount of people with 3/4/5 young children.

All in their SUVs driving down the road, mammy and daddy popping into the garage to get their coffee in the styrofoam cups.
    Stunning hypocrisy.

If we have clean sources fuel then population won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hysteria is an 11 year old crying now.
    So clowns, the ice cream van running out of ice cream and thunder can also be called causes of hysteria.

:

'Sure why listen to the IPCC scientists at all. Sure he's just exaggerating...'

:rolleyes:

Scientists say smoking increases your chances of getting lung cancer by 80%, others say it's 70%. There isn't full agreement so keep smoking?

Once they get enough people switched over to and hooked into relying more and more on electric, the electricity price is going to be jacked through the roof, it's fck all to do about caring for the environment it's about wealth transfer from one set of oligarchs to another.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Let’s take electric cars for example, 10’years now the government has given 10k off new price, vrt free to import from UK. Free fuel from public charger and up take is tiny

Most people in Dublin with 2 cars could easily swap to one electric for commute but don’t. The carrot does not work in Ireland, never has

Even now, free BIK, free tolls and still limited uptake. The UK are getting rid of diesel by selling them to Irish buyers, it’s idiotic.

Unfortunately the only method to get people to move is tax the ass out of diesel and people will move, it will hurt people but what alternative do the government have

You actually see plonkers on here posting “diesel till I die” .....clowns

Urban use maybe but rural use isn't really an option.

I've a 200km round trip commute with 90% of that on motorway. I also need something to get larger items such as our fridge freezer to the house as most delivery vans refuse to come up it due to the state if it and being so narrow.

Also my car brand new was 20,000 euro cheaper than what might be the equivalent electric car.

I'd gladly go electric but they have to meet both need and budget and at the moment they don't.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Urban use maybe but rural use isn't really an option.

I've a 200km round trip commute with 90% of that on motorway. I also need something to get larger items such as our fridge freezer to the house as most delivery vans refuse to come up it due to the state if it and being so narrow.

Also my car brand new was 20,000 euro cheaper than what might be the equivalent electric car.

I'd gladly go electric but they have to meet both need and budget and at the moment they don't.

yeah but your just some bogger as far as the greens are concerned and therefore deserve to be carbon taxed to death.

• Advertisement

Once they get enough people switched over to and hooked into relying more and more on electric, the electricity price is going to be jacked through the roof, it's fck all to do about caring for the environment it's about wealth transfer from one set of oligarchs to another.

How can they jack up the cost of solar?

Advertisement