Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

moonage wrote: »
    CO2 isn't a pollutant. It's the gas of life.

We breathe it out and plants need it to survive. More CO2 leads to a greening of the planet. Current CO2 levels are fine and a further modest increase will do no harm.

This human-made climate change hoax was cooked up to instill fear in people and pave the way for more centralised government of the planet.

People are completely taken in by it when you have someone believing that a grass frost on a May morning is proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    She's very shy of reporters when they want to ask her a few questions her minders quickly whisk her away. When she was asked on facebook why she didn't go to China she replied that she can't get there by train. If you think she's doing this by herself you must be truly deluded. https://rail.cc/en/train/beijing-to-stockholm

Reading this article - makes it all the sadder and even more worrying for the health of that child tbh. This is a review of her mothers book btw.

https://quillette.com/2019/04/23/self-harm-versus-the-greater-good-greta-thunberg-and-child-activism/

20Cent wrote: »
    The old "cult of personality" theme, same was said about Obama. Used to imply that agreeing with her is irrational.
    All the criticism of Greta Thunberg seems to be about her age, her parents etc. Not many challenging on the content of what she is saying which is backed up by science.

When she can be interviewed at length by an independent source and no prompting or scripts, I'll start taking her seriously, depending how she handles the interview.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bluewolf wrote: »
    What's the name in bio systems for when the domino effect kinda hits the critical point there's no coming back from. i thought it was getting worse and we're approaching that
    cascade! that one

There probably is a political drive behind it, taxes etc, but it's an awful lot to gamble on

Hundredth monkey or something?

Governments are ripping down trees and hedgerows left, right and centre. Then telling us that we need to reduce our emissions. It's all about tax and what their buddies in the UN/EU are telling them to do.

And the same state interests - whose promised deal it is to double the population in order to provide more wealth for a usual favoured individuals. No doubt the same ones will be awarded the new government contracts. And so on it goes. They don't give a fuk about anything else except their pensions and lining their friends pockets. And yet everyone else has to pay more tax and tighten out belts. I think wev'e heard that before for sure ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm wondering should I bother going to work tomorrow then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

When she can be interviewed at length by an independent source and no prompting or scripts, I'll start taking her seriously, depending how she handles the interview.

she is the the new world leader so get over your ageism and pay more carbon tax for the rich, buy their electric cars and their electricity and comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The greed is coming at us though. Anything goes in the name of environment.

Don't you think the people complaining about taxes are doing that out of greed?
    When oil companies like Exxon were funding anti-climate change groups do you think they did that out of greed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

You want an 11 year old interrogated!

She is just saying what the IPCC are saying. The naysayers should refute the IPCC report rather than bully a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Its May and 4 degrees out lad. This aint normal

It's not global warming either.

• Advertisement

You want an 11 year old interrogated!

She is just saying what the IPCC are saying. The naysayers should refute the IPCC report rather than bully a kid.

She’s 16. Not interrogated just interviewed to see exactly what her knowledge is if the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

She’s 16.

So, you want a 16 year old interrogated?

She’s 16. Not interrogated just interviewed to see exactly what her knowledge is if the subject.

What difference would that make?
    Climate change isn't dependent on what she knows.

You want an 11 year old interrogated! She is just saying what the IPCC are saying. The naysayers should refute the IPCC report rather than bully a kid.

That's the thing - there's comments from an IPCC scientist showing what she is saying is little better than exaggerated rhetoric. Doing more harm than good with spouting rubbish imo. This bs that no one can say nothing cos 'she's a kid's. :rolleyes:

gozunda wrote: »
    That's the thing - there's comments from IPCC scientists showing what she is saying is little better than exaggerated rhetoric. Doing more harm than good with spouting rubbish imo.

You are referring to the quote you keep using?
    The guy who said it's great young people are getting involved and speaking up. That guy?

You are referring to the quote you keep using?The guy who said it's great young people are getting involved and speaking up. That guy?

Yet he still says that bs exaggerated rhetoric is wrong and doing more harm than good or can you not read that bit? Why you picking on 'young people' again.

What difference would that make?
    Climate change isn't dependent on what she knows.

So you are admitting she’s just a puppet being used so gullible fools can lap up her nonsense?

That's the thing - there's comments from IPCC scientists showing what she is saying is little better than exaggerated rhetoric. Doing more harm than good with spouting rubbish imo. This bs that no one can say nothing cos 'she's a kid's. :rolleyes:

How about the BS that people attack a kid for not having all the answers.

What do you think of the UN's opinion?

Nature crisis: Humans 'threaten 1m species with extinction

BBC News
    On land, in the seas, in the sky, the devastating impact of humans on nature is laid bare in a compelling UN report.

One million animal and plant species are now threatened with extinction.

Nature everywhere is declining at a speed never previously seen and our need for ever more food and energy are the main drivers.

These trends can be halted, the study says, but it will take "transformative change" in every aspect of how humans interact with nature.

Greta Thunberg is a 16 year old who is making a massive difference in creating awareness. Such action is supported by the reports authors.
    As well as consumer and lifestyle choices, other authors believe people can make a difference through politics.

"It might be more important for society to invest more in renewables than coal," said Dr Rinku Roy Chowdhury, from Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts.

"So how do you that? Through individual behaviour, through the polling booth.

"Rather than just conserving energy by turning my lights off, some other less obvious means might be through political action.

How about the BS that people attack a kid for not having all the answers.

What do you think of the UN's opinion?..

So you are saying that the scientist is attacking her and others because what they are sprouting exaggerated rhetoric. And you're an expert because?

Yeah UN are at least a reputable source as opposed to some kid shouting her mouth off and coming up exaggerated rhetoric. Why do you think you need a kid to tell you what you should be doing? Don't believe the UN for some reason? Why is that?

So you are admitting she’s just a puppet being used so gullible fools can lap up her nonsense?

Science isn't dependent on a single person.

If you want to refute Greta just publish a peer reviewed report yourself which proves the IPCC, the UN etc wrong. Simple.

• Advertisement

Yeah UN are at least a reputable source as opposed to some kid shouting her mouth off and coming up exaggerated rhetoric. Why do you think you need a kid to tell you what you should be doing? Don't believe the UN for some reason? Why is that?

Nice Strawman building!

UN (among others) is bringing the science. Greta is bringing the public awareness.

Is that too complicated to understand?

Breaking

Greta says E equals MC cubed.
    Einstein was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I remember one Christmas being abnormally warm in the early 2000s, (shorts and a T-shirt on Christmas day) which was very freaky, then the climate seemed to rectify itself somewhat in the years after . . . . then in 2010 we had snow in the winter, now its very mild again! Far too mild if you ask me, and is it my imagination or is the sun brighter than it used to be (for this time of the year)?

or maybe its my eyes getting older :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Nice Strawman building!

UN (among others) is bringing the science. Greta is bringing the public awareness.

Is that too complicated to understand?

There already is/was public awareness. Climate change has been in the news nearly non-stop for years and years.

Nice Strawman building!UN (among others) is bringing the science. Greta is bringing the public awareness. Is that too complicated to understand?
    No strawman there - still talking about your heroine. You brought in the UN.

It remains Greta is a kid reading stuff she doesnt understand properly. As the IPCC scientist said- exaggerated rhetoric does more harm than good. This thread is an example of that. Not hard to understand is it or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

We need a worldwide climate change tax . It will go away then..

It remains Greta is a kid reading stuff she doesnt understand properly. As the IPCC scientist said- exaggerated rhetoric does more harm than good. This thread is an example of that. Not hard to understand is it?

Can you tell us exactly what harm is being caused?

There has been a huge increase in interest in climate change, people changing their behaviour, ,governments commiting to do more etc etc

Sound like a good thing.

It remains Greta is a kid reading stuff she doesnt understand properly. As the IPCC scientist said- exaggerated rhetoric does more harm than good. This thread is an example of that. Not hard to understand is it?

It is hard to understand because you are not making any sense.

No one is saying Greta knows more than scientists on the matter. She is saying listen to the scientists.

What I at least am saying is that she has been remarkable in creating awareness amongst a cohort of people who are starting to notice how serious this is as they head towards college and their working careers. I think that will mean that many of these people will influence practice and strategy in relation to the climate as they head in to adulthood now that they have been involved in this way.

I think that is a better thing that expecting someone who has had their head in the sand (and continues to leave it there) to take it out.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    There already is/was public awareness. Climate change has been in the news nearly non-stop for years and years.

SMH.

All levels of awareness are not the same thing are they?

This has been of a different kind to what has come before, and statements from governments in support of the cause are different to what we have seen before.

• Advertisement

I remember one Christmas being abnormally warm in the early 2000s, (shorts and a T-shirt on Christmas day) which was very freaky, then the climate seemed to rectify itself somewhat in the years after . . . . then in 2010 we had snow in the winter, now its very mild again! Far too mild if you ask me, and is it my imagination or is the sun brighter than it used to be (for this time of the year)?

or maybe its my eyes getting older :)

Breaking news on RTE.
    Tens of thousands of environmental scientists worldwide have been fired and all university courses for such qualifications have been cancelled due to the emergence of someone who can determine the cause and effect on the natural world variations by looking out his window. Hamsterchops will be available to governments worldwide to assist them with facilitating the harvesting of the natural environment without any wider implications.

Advertisement