Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

20Cent wrote: »
    Right wing media claiming Greta says she can see CO2 now. They really hate her. Pity they don't pay as much attention to the IPCC report as they do harassing her.

Seriously whats is this obsession with Greta? The information appears to have been gleaned from Greta mothers book published just last year

https://www.afrinik.com/my-daughter-can-see-co2-with-the-naked-eye/

Seems to be a legit reference tbh. Her mother doesn't shy away from these things - tbh it's a bit strange others getting worked up about it imo.

Hard to believe these posts are by the same person.

One the one hand, things there is enough awareness of climate problems and can't distinguish between calling for action as opposed to solely creating awareness, on the other, (seemingly) has the intelligence to get involved in nuclear fusion.

Maybe you are just mad that a 16 year old is stealing the limelight from your future self.

Wow. That's a new low even for this thread tbh...
    "Takes one to know one & etc" .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Or maybe I've the intelligence to use nuance and to see through the fad, which is what she is.

I live in Britain at the moment. If I go around lecturing people about the existence of the issue of Brexit, am I raising awareness of the issue, or is already at a point of saturation that being made any more aware isn't possible any longer (i.e. it's already in the news day in day out.)

Your last sentence may have sounded smart to you but it's doesn't actually make sense. Try harder.

Hit a nerve, did I?

What do you think the protests for a peoples vote were all about? Do you think no one knew about the issues with Brexit or did they decide to call further awareness to it. Maybe you'd think they'd have been better sitting on their hands as everyone knows the problems anyway.

Hit a nerve, did I?

What do you think the protests for a peoples vote were all about? Do you think no one knew about the issues with Brexit or did they decide to call further awareness to it. Maybe you'd think they'd have been better sitting on their hands as everyone knows the problems anyway.

Tbh ****e like that isn't discussion. However it does show you lost the argument.

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbh ****e like that isn't discussion. However it does show you lost the argument.

Really?

How did you deduce that?

You've discounted all evidence presented already, something tells me that isn't going to change. None so blind as those that will not see and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

Hit a nerve, did I?

Yeah the famous method for getting things done. Do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I am not denying that global temperatures are increasing, or that ice caps aren't melting, or sea levels not rising etc. (although I am skeptical of how significant the role humans played in all of this). But why all the deranged hysteria all of a sudden? Is there new scientific evidence published?

Just 15-20 years ago the only headline grabbing climate change stories were from Al Gore's spurious catastrophic predictions for the future (many of which failed to occur of course). But now there is no escaping it. We are being bombarded with climate crisises left, right and centre all of a sudden, but they don't seem to have any substantial basis whatsoever. Yet the global hysteria is mind boggling, from huge protests, to bold political promises, to no-meat mondays to Birthstrikers (yes, there are women who refuse to have children because there won't be an earth here for them to grow up on... https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/12/birthstrikers-meet-the-women-who-refuse-to-have-children-until-climate-change-ends)

If someone says that the earth is flat or the moonlandings were faked, or 911 was an inside job, we point and laugh at them, say they need to put on their tin-foil hat and then move their thread to the conspiracy forum. Yet, a climate change activist can spew the most baseless claims and they get applauded and put on a pedestal.

Was I in a coma when all this damning evidence came to light? The world feels the same to me as it did back in the 90s.

It’s a big trend at the moment to be outspoken about environmental issues. It’s like being vegan, vegetarian or pescatarian.

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    It’s a big trend at the moment to be outspoken about environmental issues. It’s like being vegan, vegetarian or pescatarian.

Do you not think it is a trend which is needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Really?

How did you deduce that?

You've discounted all evidence presented already, something tells me that isn't going to change. None so blind as those that will not see and all that...

Because when will people are losing or have lost an argument they tend to veer towards insult a la what you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hit a nerve, did I?

No. You are some randomer on the internet. Why would you "hit a nerve"? My response stands as intended. Your last sentence of that post made no sense.

They were trying to have a second referendum. I said the issue of the existence of Brexit. People know Brexit is a thing, in the midst of happening (i.e. what deal will be secured).

They do not need to have their attention drawn to this. People are fully aware that negations are taking place. That was my point.

If people want to protest to show the supposed level of support for a second referendum then good luck to them. They aren't protesting to make people aware that Thersea May is in Brussels every week undertaking discussions. People are fully aware of this already.

There is a difference. Nuance, remember.

• Advertisement

They'd ignore it anyway.
    Attacking a teenager seems particularly low even for them.

Unless you're Gemma O'Doherty or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The funny thing is we've known about biodivesity loss for long time.

It's even been discussed very recently. This article from just over a year ago was posted already.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/10/earths-sixth-mass-extinction-event-already-underway-scientists-warn

Funny thing is that article squarely lays the blame with overpopulation and over consumption. However the whole thing is now being Shanghaid by some :Funny that.

:rolleyes:

The funny thing is we've known about that for aong time.

It's even been discussed very recently. This article from just over a year ago was posted already.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/10/earths-sixth-mass-extinction-event-already-underway-scientists-warn

Funny thing is that article squarely lays the blame with overpopulation and over consumption. However the whole thing is now being Shanghaid by some :Funny that.

:rolleyes:

By who?

Those that are saying "We've known this for a long time, no need to keep talking about it or drawing any more attention to it."?

By who?
    Those that are saying "We've known this for a long time, no need to keep talking about it or drawing any more attention to it."?

But yea it is being hijacked / shanghied in this thread. Biodiversity loss etc only talked about the other day. Btw what's the thread called?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyone who isn't stupid knows it's down to overconsumption.

But yea it is being hijacked / shanghied. What's the thread called?

So, you think the likes of Greta Thunberg is inhibiting progress on protecting the environment through her actions?

So, you think the likes of Greta Thunberg is inhibiting progress on protecting the environment through her actions?

Ye didn't answer my question btw?

Back to Ms Thunberg again :rolleyes: you're obsessed. Lol.

Ye didn't answer my question btw?

Back to Ms Thunberg again :rolleyes: you're obsessed. Lol.

You want me to answer a question on what the thread is called when it is written at the top of the page?

Okay then. "Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?"

Now can you tell me how you think it is being shanghaid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It must be really frightening to feel threatened by a 16 year old girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

buried wrote: »
    Everybody, especially our youth are being told to worry about this climate change craic. Fair enough, but why stop there in the forced worry over events concerning our planet? Why don't the powers that be tell the youth about all the rest of the natural cataclysmic disasters that could well happen here in the morning? Such as some of the biggest wipeout cataclysmic disasters that have struck the planet numerous times before. Every year the planet runs twice into a asteroid stream going through the solar system, the taurid meteor stream, remnants from the comet Encke. Some of the largest meteor objects in our solar system are in this steam. Some of these things are 20 - 30km width in size. It takes the earth several weeks to enter and exist this stream. One hit of one of those objects and we can all say bye bye to it all. No mention of this from any state agency anywhere. The worldwide funding for the detection of these objects is literally nothing.

We are so concerned with our own planet being the total end all of everything we have totally lost sight to the bigger natural disasters not of our own immediate vision and potential blame. Can't tax people for that craic you see. Climate change could well be the actual result of our solar systems star, the suns increased activity. The sun is powering up. Its a star. The Star tomorrow could blast out a coronal mass ejection explosion that could wipe out all electromagnetic power on this planet forever. No mention of that little nugget that has also happened numerous times before. Check out The Carrington event that happened in 1859. If that same event happened again, all electrical power on the planet is shut down. No electricity - No power to keep nuclear power plants operating which results in Worldwide nuclear meltdown. But yeah, don't talk about it so don't worry, look over here and we'll tax the weather our way out of it instead, somebody has to pay the politicians pensions before some asteroid does actually blast into here.

^^^

And this comment above is the real reality as to what can/will happen in the coming years of our lives, and for the Doomsdayer's to not notice this huge scenario right in front of them is worrying. We have brainwashed children dictating to world governments that the earth will die in 10 years. This insanity needs to stop. Who would ever have thought that these doomsdayer's would ever get to the podium, but astonishingly they have. When these children reach adulthood, they will sure learn something about their previous hysterical's and wonder why they have been taxed into poverty over a lie.

Also, the amount of comments on this thread in regard to people mixing up Climate with Weather systems is frightening, thinking that yearly weather changes is proof of so-called man-made-global-warming.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Right wing media claiming Greta says she can see CO2 now. They really hate her. Pity they don't pay as much attention to the IPCC report as they do harassing her.

That quote comes from a book written by her mother.
    Greta was diagnosed as a child with obsessive-compulsive disorder and Asperger’s syndrome, just like her younger sister Beata. The activist also has a photographic memory. She knows all the capitals by heart and can list all the chemical elements of the periodic table within one minute. In addition, she has another gift according to her mother. “Greta is able to see what other people cannot see,” writes Malena Ernman in the book. “She can see carbon dioxide with the naked eye. She sees how it flows out of chimneys and changes the atmosphere in a landfill.”

Now if you come along and tell me you can see colourless orderless gas, I'm going to ask what are you smoking and can I have some of that too! I don't know what drugs they are giving their daughter and do genuinely wonder what mental state must you be in to express that.

It is obvious that I and others like me are not the target audience for the people using Miss Thunburg as a front. The catastrophic anthropogenic global warming scam has been running for over 3 decades and people have gotten inured to it, and they are increasingly revolting against the taxation and political legislative fiat system that ignores them.

Who then is the target audience? What happens when the taxpayers can see through the scam? What happens when politicians need a cause to keep the voters distracted? What happens when the permanent government taps into a new tax revenue stream? What happens when NGOs like the World Wildlife Fund and Greenpeace with a net worth of hundreds of millions need new sources of revenue? What happens when you create zero or negative interest rates? What happens when the quantitative easing scam destroys the bond market for sovereign debt? What happens when the welfare state collapses? What happens when you allow unrestricted immigration into your country? What happens when people who pay the taxes have more pressing problems they want attending to? and which way is the wind blowing?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

This is a generation defining decision, Will we be the generation to save the ecosystem and prevent destruction of habitat and extinction of tiger, polar bears, whales etc or be forever known as the ones who stood by and ignored

It must be really frightening to feel threatened by a 16 year old girl.

Wow people seriously are obsessed by the kid tbh.

It must be even more frightening to believe she's jesus christs successor....

You want me to answer a question on what the thread is called when it is written at the top of the page?

Okay then. "Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?"Now can you tell me how you think it is being shanghaid?

Now think about it. Like really hard. You might just figure it out ok? But probably not :D:D:D

Otherwise you're on your own especially after the last little demonstration of having a discussion. Thanks all the same. :rolleyes:
    DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Because when will people are losing or have lost an argument they tend to veer towards insult a la what you did.

Now if you come along and tell me you can see colourless orderless gas, I'm going to ask what are you smoking and can I have some of that too! I don't know what drugs they are giving their daughter and do genuinely wonder what mental state must you be in to express that.

It is obvious that I and others like me are not the target audience for the people using Miss Thunburg as a front. The catastrophic anthropogenic global warming scam has been running for over 3 decades and people have gotten inured to it, and they are increasingly revolting against the taxation and political legislative fiat system that ignores them.

Who then is the target audience? What happens when the taxpayers can see through the scam? What happens when politicians need a cause to keep the voters distracted? What happens when the permanent government taps into a new tax revenue stream? What happens when NGOs like the World Wildlife Fund and Greenpeace with a net worth of hundreds of millions need new sources of revenue? What happens when you create zero or negative interest rates? What happens when the quantitative easing scam destroys the bond market for sovereign debt? What happens when the welfare state collapses? What happens when you allow unrestricted immigration into your country? What happens when people who pay the taxes have more pressing problems they want attending to? and which way is the wind blowing?

So all is a.ok? Great. Sure why shouldn’t we continue to screw up things for future generations. We’ll be dead so what does it matter once you can take the piss out of a 16 year old behind her back.

Wow people seriously are obsessed by the kid tbh.

Its must be even more frightening to believe she's jesus christs successor....

Obsessing over a 16 year old girl might get a grown man imprisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

What's this scam?
    What is the aim of it?
    Clean air and water the monsters.

You've heard of metaphors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I'm told that the whole in the ozone layer is closing/ or has closed?

• Advertisement

What's this scam?
    What is the aim of it?
    Clean air and water the monsters.

You've heard of metaphors?

Imagine improving the world that we live in. Why do people fear and hate the idea?

Advertisement