Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

They're probably still grown in Ireland though

Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why do people keep pointing out the fact she’s autistic? I know nothing about her but if she inspires some people, globally, to think twice about consumerism and waste, as a 15 year old girl, that’s pretty amazing.

You forgot to add excessive consumerism and unnecessary global trade to that list, why send stuff half the way around the planet when it can be locally made.

Because the waffle machines you can buy in Lidl are produced for next to nothing in China, workers get about 50c an hour in these factories. The amount of unnecessary rubbish that they try and market to us is insane.

Why do people keep pointing out the fact she’s autistic? I know nothing about her but if she inspires some people, globally, to think twice about consumerism and waste, as a 15 year old girl, that’s pretty amazing.

Because her fear and anger is probably more down to her disability than any well defined, well thought out rational science led basis.

I saw a clip of her giving some speech to a bunch of politicians. She starts breaking down while talking about forests being eroded...like....calm down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWsM9-_zrKo

Politicians are just looking at her like a little kid and patting her on the head "good girl, aren't you a great girl for caring about something"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Don’t worry about anything until you see the Wealthy and Super Wealthy putting their hands in their Pockets .

When you do see them putting their hands in their Pockets = Worry like Fook = Because they are going to use to protect the rest of their wealth and you have always had that look of potential dead meat canon fodder about ya !

Run and Hide when that sheet hits the fan .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Funny how all the "school strikes" are in fairly well to do areas. Areas that won't be affected as much by all the carbon taxes that the government is delighted that they are demanding. Not going to matter much to the little virtue signalling iPhone encrusted brats if a bag of coal costs twice as much.

Funny how all the "school strikes" are in fairly well to do areas. Areas that won't be affected as much by all the carbon taxes that the government is delighted that they are demanding. Not going to matter much to the little virtue signalling iPhone encrusted brats if a bag of coal costs twice as much.

It's brainwashing.

Catherine Martin was it who said her kids are delighted that there's a climate emergency declared here. Her kids are what....7 or 8? They don't have an individual thought. They're told what to think!

The government must think this is too easy...people out campaigning for more taxes! All they'll do is put more tax on fuel which people are forced to use. "But that's what you wanted."

It's brainwashing.

Catherine Martin was it who said her kids are delighted that there's a climate emergency declared here. Her kids are what....7 or 8? They don't have an individual thought. They're told what to think!

The government must think this is too easy...people out campaigning for more taxes! All they'll do is put more tax on fuel which people are forced to use. "But that's what you wanted."
    Lets tax the Rich for this One and see if this Climate Stuff disappears from the Media .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's brainwashing.

Bizarre behaviour alright. Almost cult like.

So should we just carry on as is regarding the environment and pollution or should we pressure the government to make changes for the good? Why are so many people dismissive of any attempt to highlight the issues facing our planet? If we do nothing the place will just be one big toxic mess sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Everyone seems to be moaning about "Carbon Tax" like the governments of the world have gotten together and come up with this as a grand scheme to steal money from your pocket. Like governments can't just come up with a different method of taxation if that was what they were after. Taxing stupidity would make them a fortune

I just don’t understand the animosity towards people wanting a cleaner planet heading in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I just don’t understand the animosity towards people wanting a cleaner planet heading in the right direction

100%. Even if someone doesn't believe in man-made climate change, why the desire to live in a cesspool?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

xckjoo wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be moaning about "Carbon Tax" like the governments of the world have gotten together and come up with this as a grand scheme to steal money from your pocket. Like governments can't just come up with a different method of taxation if that was what they were after. Taxing stupidity would make them a fortune

They have, on a supranational level. The contrived problem is climate change the "grassroots" reaction is approved protests demanding "something must be done" and the solution is more taxes on the general public. The money will be shoveled into banks by the way.

The Club of Rome has endorsed the school strikes...

"The common enemy of humanity is man.
    In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill. All these
    dangers are caused by human intervention, and it is only through changed attitudes and behaviour that they can be overcome.
    The real enemy then, is humanity itself.“
    – Club of Rome,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

It's because they can't argue against her points. Science is on her side. Much easier to attack her than argue against scientific facts.

20Cent wrote: »
    It's because they can't argue against her points. Science is on her side. Much easier to attack her than argue against scientific facts.

But even if there is no man made climate change, the way we treat the planet can only lead to disaster and no more natural habitats and toxic oceans and rivers and lakes. So shouldn’t we be doing something to avert that maybe?

But even if there is no man made climate change, the way we treat the planet can only lead to disaster and no more natural habitats and toxic oceans and rivers and lakes. So shouldn’t we be doing something to avert that maybe?

Yeah having a cleaner environment can only be a good thing.

So should we just carry on as is regarding the environment and pollution or should we pressure the government to make changes for the good? Why are so many people dismissive of any attempt to highlight the issues facing our planet? If we do nothing the place will just be one big toxic mess sooner or later.
    Because its middle class and wealthy people pontificating down to the “ others “ with out doing the one thing that would be a good example = Put their hand in their pocket and pay for this catastrophe that they proclaim about .

You watch ; If any government tried to get the wealthy and super wealthy to pay for climate change it would disappear off the media .

xckjoo wrote: »
    100%. Even if someone doesn't believe in man-made climate change, why the desire to live in a cesspool?

Oh I have no problem with wanting a cleaner planet etc.

The problem is who pays for it? We're already getting shafted and people want to make it tougher?

You can make housing more energy efficient but what happens? House prices go up.

You could ban ICE cars tomorrow but what happens? You're forced to pay 30k for an electric and install chargers which cost money.

Bottle deposit scheme? Perfect, does not cost me any more money. Excellent. Introduce it right away.

I'm on this planet once, for 70-80 years. If I care so much about future generations I will not have kids so any bad decision or impact I take doesn't impact on my future generation. So then, why should I have to make my life harder than it needs to be by asking for tax increases etc.

Installing solar panels to your house would be a lot cheaper than paying for oil or gas in the long run. It would pay for itself eventually. Electric cars are going to get a lot cheaper and are efficient as the tech improves. Do it over 10 years or so. If people recycle more it will save them money as well.

Also fossil fuel industries are subsidised by many billions every year. Stop subsidising them and use the money for cleaner alternatives.

Green policies affect the fossil fuel industries who pay fake scientists to muddy the waters so they can keep raking in the money.

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »
    Installing solar panels to your house would be a lot cheaper than paying for oil or gas in the long run. It would pay for itself eventually. Electric cars are going to get a lot cheaper and are efficient as the tech improves. Do it over 10 years or so. If people recycle more it will save them money as well.

Also fossil fuel industries are subsidised by many billions every year. Stop subsidising them and use the money for cleaner alternatives.

Green policies affect the fossil fuel industries who pay fake scientists to muddy the waters so they can keep raking in the money.

In the long run sure.

Just like a wind turbine would pay off in the long term. The problem is I do not have 20k lying around to spend on a turbine. Billionaire corporations won't even pay for something that takes over 3 years to pay off itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

blinding wrote: »
    Because its middle class and wealthy people pontificating down to the “ others “ with out doing the one thing that would be a good example = Put their hand in their pocket and pay for this catastrophe that they proclaim about .

You watch ; If any government tried to get the wealthy and super wealthy to pay for climate change it would disappear off the media .

If you don’t agree with the current government then use your vote (if you have one). Only voting in alternatives will change the governments stance on issues you disagree with.

Regardless of the illuminati not spending their billions or paying for anything, does that mean us normal public can't be doing anything to help our environment? I've been to beach cleanups, I plant things and let part of my garden grow naturally, I try and be conscious of things I'm buying, I don't eat red meat or much of any kind of meat, I don't own a car, I cycle to work etc.
    Public campaigns by the Government to get us to make some small changes would help clean up our country. Even things like planting certain things to help pollinators, it should be encouraged.
    And I don't know what constitutes middle class but I'm certainly not from a wealthy background.

The lack of the wealthy and super wealthy being unwilling to pay for climate change may suggest that they do not think its as bad as been painted .

The Upper and Middle Class pontificating to the others will not work .

We will wait to see the colour of their money .

We have been the canon fodder all too often . We are not willing to be taxed on the ‘ Pontification “ of elite .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

When our crops fail, I'm eating a climate change denier.

Lux23 wrote: »
    When our crops fail, I'm eating a climate change denier.
    I will eat the Elite . They will be much tastier because of their diet .

The lack of the wealthy and super wealthy being unwilling to pay for climate change may suggest that they do not think its as bad as been painted .

The Upper and Middle Class pontificating to the others will not work .

We will wait to see the colour of their money .

We have been the canon fodder all too often . We are not willing to be taxed on the ‘ Pontification “ of elite .

Who cares what they do? What can you do? What taxes are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Oh it's probably the absolutely massive €100 a year that your average citizens pays in carbon tax in Ireland.

Seriously ! You don’t see that all this Climate Change Pontification is not going to be a Vehicle for loads of taxation throughout the world .

Why do you think politicians are pushing it ?

• Advertisement

Seriously ! You don’t see that all this Climate Change Pontification is not going to be a Vehicle for loads of taxation throughout the world .

Why do you think politicians are pushing it ?

They're not pushing it. They're trying to sound like they give a f*ck to appease some voters. E.g. the climate emergency bullsh*t statement.

Advertisement