Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

They're not pushing it. They're trying to sound like they give a f*ck to appease some voters. E.g. the climate emergency bullsh*t statement.

Yea, not one poltical leader in Ireland is pushing for a big increase carbon taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lux23 wrote: »
    Yea, not one poltical leader in Ireland is pushing for a big increase carbon taxes.

Are they really? I honestly don't know. Anyway if they are, that's a different matter, we still need to sort the environment out. It's no hoax that we're destroying everything and our lifestyles are unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Oh it's probably the absolutely massive €100 a year that your average citizens pays in carbon tax in Ireland.

Thin end of the wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Problem is, are our carbon taxes being used to decrease our carbon footprint in the future, or are they being used to pay off debts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The idea that politicians will not use climate change to tax is very naive .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

blinding wrote: »
    The idea that politicians will not use climate change to tax is very naive .

Taxes can be used to change behaviour like taxing tobacco more or giving tax relief for doing something good like recycling or solar panels.

If you don’t agree with the current government then use your vote (if you have one). Only voting in alternatives will change the governments stance on issues you disagree with.
    Who do you vote for when none of them support what you believe could reduce pollution and waste.
    Anything that limits economic growth will be resisted by business leaders the world over, these are the people who can make or break poiticians.

20Cent wrote: »
    Taxes can be used to change behaviour like taxing tobacco more or giving tax relief for doing something good like recycling or solar panels.
    I’m Ok with taxing the wealthy and super wealthy on this one

Ah but !

If they try that you won’t be hearing much about climate change !

Who do you vote for when none of them support what you believe could reduce pollution and waste.
    Anything that limits economic growth will be resisted by business leaders the world over, these are the people who can make or break poiticians.

Spoil your vote . All spoilt votes are displayed for politicians to peruse . Enough spoilt votes with a message the politicians can understand may have an affect , especially if there is enough of them .

I’m Ok with taxing the wealthy and super wealthy on this one

Ah but !

If they try that you won’t be hearing much about climate change !

Who is saying tax is the solution? There are many things we as individuals can be doing. You can't just "I'M DOING NOTHING BECAUSE RICH PEOPLE ARENT PAYING FOR IT". Whether they do or not, we still need to act.

• Advertisement

Who is saying tax is the solution? There are many things we as individuals can be doing. You can't just "I'M DOING NOTHING BECAUSE RICH PEOPLE ARENT PAYING FOR IT". Whether they do or not, we still need to act.

Taking positive actions to tackle planned obsolescence would cost no one anything, it will reduce the "bottom line" and thus will never be supported by business leaders & their paid for politicians.

Somebody somewhere is going to have to pay the for Climate change lobby demands .

Personally I think that only Science and Technology could do the Job . The Mass of the Human race is not willing to make many / if any changes . They / We will talk a good story and after a few weeks we will be back to the usual behaviour ( The Vast Majority anyway )
    As I say , if Science and Technology can’t fix this = we are fooked .

Somebody somewhere is going to have to pay the for Climate change lobby demands .

Personally I think that only Science and Technology could do the Job . The Mass of the Human race is not willing to make many / if any changes . They / We will talk a good story and after a few weeks we will be back to the usual behaviour ( The Vast Majority anyway )
    As I say , if Science and Technology can’t fix this = we are fooked .

But if normal people like me and you make changes it would have a huge effect. There are proactive things we can be doing as I outlined in earlier posts, and products we can avoid, etc. No one needs to pay for these things. If anything we should be spending less on stuff we don't need, saving not spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Climate change is the new religion, don't you know.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

But if normal people like me and you make changes it would have a huge effect. There are proactive things we can be doing as I outlined in earlier posts, and products we can avoid, etc. No one needs to pay for these things. If anything we should be spending less on stuff we don't need, saving not spending.

Cold baked beans , a blanket and move into a tent. If you have friends you try and convince them to huddle with you for warmth. That's the path to climate sainthood.

Cold baked beans , a blanket and move into a tent. If you have friends you try and convince them to huddle with you for warmth. That's the path to climate sainthood.

Great input thanks. Continue doing nothing and being a cynic, good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

It's no hoax that we're destroying everything and our lifestyles are unsustainable.

Speak for yourself, I ain't destroying anything.

It would help if you provided us with at least one peer-reviewed publication linking human activity to climate change or one that shows that humans can do anything to stop it.

If we're going to be paying more tax to save the environment, I don't want it to be based on the hunch of thousands of school children.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, I ain't destroying anything.

It would help if you provided us with at least one peer-reviewed publication linking human activity to climate change or one that shows that humans can do anything to stop it.

If we're going to be paying more tax to save the environment, I don't want it to be based on the hunch of thousands of school children.

I don't need scientists to tell me the Earth is finite and we are destroying it at an increasing speed. Do you think we can carry on as is forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I don't need scientists to tell me the Earth is finite and we are destroying it at an increasing speed

How are we "destroying" this planet?

Is it shrinking?
    Or are chunks flying off into the cosmic void?

How are we "destroying" this planet?

Is it shrinking?
    Or are chunks flying off into the cosmic void?

If you need to ask that you're not very bright at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If you need to ask that you're not very bright at all

Wrong answer friendo.

The thing is, I don't expect you to be able to answer the hysteria of planetary destruction.

This "the end is nigh" stuff is an article of faith.
    It doesn't have to be rationalised to the non-believers.

You just need us sinners to repent.
    And if we don't?

Millenium style cults have been around forever.
    You won't be the last.

lead64.jpg

Wrong answer friendo.

The thing is, I don't expect you to be able to answer the hysteria of planetary destruction.

This "the end is nigh" stuff is an article of faith.
    It doesn't have to be rationalised to the non-believers.

You just need us sinners to repent.
    And if we don't?

Millenium style cults have been around forever.
    You won't be the last.
    The answer is closer to destroying the quality of life for most of the other inhabitants of the planet, rather than the planet itself (just another clump of rocks in the universe).

Ultimately, if nothing is done to stop the increases in damaging human activity, eventually a future generation will render the planet uninhabitable.

Climate change (global warming) isn't the real issue, that's a convenient diversion to keep people away from thinking of some of the more dangerous consequences of modern human activity.

It's pollution, destruction of habitat and loss of biodiversity that are the most worrying aspects of human activity. With Agriculture heading towards only using one or two varieties of crop or food animal (the most productive ones) we increase the risks of a disease or virus wiping out an entire food group due to our dependence on only one variety.

Plus the mass extinction of countless animals, sealife & plants etc, replacing what would be lost after a pandemic would be harder than it would be if biodiversity is embraced and natural habitat is preserved.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The answer is closer to destroying the quality of life for most of the other inhabitants of the planet, rather than the planet itself (just another clump of rocks in the universe).

Ultimately, if nothing is done to stop the increases in damaging human activity, eventually a future generation will render the planet uninhabitable.

Climate change (global warming) isn't the real issue, that's a convenient diversion to keep people away from thinking of some of the more dangerous consequences of modern human activity.

It's pollution, destruction of habitat and loss of biodiversity that are the most worrying aspects of human activity. With Agriculture heading towards only using one or two varieties of crop or food animal (the most productive ones) we increase the risks of a disease or virus wiping out an entire food group due to our dependence on only one variety.

Plus the mass extinction of countless animals, sealife & plants etc, replacing what would be lost after a pandemic would be harder than it would be if biodiversity is embraced and natural habitat is preserved.

Yes. This x 1,000

Pathetic the amount of sneering cynics there are out there - and on the thread here. At least the school students are doing something about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭sonic85

What's stopping the government bringing in a law that says all packaging has to be 100% recyclable? The amount of crap that has to be sent to landfill is disgraceful. Companies should be fcuking ashamed of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Hold up lads, if we are going to start talking about "destroying the quality of life" for other people around the planet why limit the scope to just climate change? We got ISIS like dictatorships cutting peoples heads off on a weekly Friday morning in the streets of some places just so our part of the world can drive some cars with cheap petrol. If you are going to protest about the ultimate ills of civilisation and how it operates, well then you can't just pick on one aspect of it and completely ignore the other.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well it seems reasonably likely that the Greens may have an MEP in each of our three constituencies, so a good number of the population are concerned.

I mean its the same for technology. The same technology these kids protesting like to use. How many of these kids have smartphones?, Games consoles? The minerals used to make the computer chips of these things are basically stolen out the ground out of some of the poorest places on the planet. Wars have been engineered over these minerals. People are then working in slave labour sweatshops to make these things. Where the protest over that diabolical $hit whats going on? These kids mean well, I'm sure they do, but who is telling them to protest over one diabolical thing ruining the planet and not the other. Plenty of it to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

buried wrote: »
    If you are going to protest about the ultimate ills of civilisation and how it operates, well then you can't just pick on one aspect of it and completely ignore the other.

That's like saying you shouldn't go to the doctor about that lump you found on your breast until you've been to the dentist to get that chip in your tooth looked at.

That's like saying you shouldn't go to the doctor about that lump you found on your breast until you've been to the dentist to get that chip in your tooth looked at.

No it's actually not. The gripe here is "the state of the planet" not your own a$$. If you truly care about "the state of the planet", well then, better start doing some more protesting about a hell of a lot of other diabolical craic that's currently going on. You can't pick and choose if you are trying to claim that you truly care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

buried wrote: »
    No it's actually not. The gripe here is "the state of the planet" not your own a$$. If you truly care about "the state of the planet", well then, better start doing some more protesting about a hell of a lot of other diabolical craic that's currently going on. You can't pick and choose if you are trying to claim that you truly care.

With Climate change (which is the title of this thread, by the way) all of the other issues are immaterial. You can't be wringing your hands about the ills of humanity if there are no humans left.

Advertisement