Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

jackboy wrote: »
    What else could it’s purpose be. What hate crime is not covered under current legislation?

According to the Gardai, there's no clear definition of hate crimes and mechanisms for reporting such crimes need to be improved. There you go. Maybe start an outraged thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

batgoat wrote: »
    According to the Gardai, there's no clear definition of hate crimes and mechanisms for reporting such crimes need to be improved. There you go. Maybe start an outraged thread on it.

So you can’t name one hate crime not covered in current legislation. Not only that, but now you are saying that the Gardai don’t know what a hate crime is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

Scientist: when this water reaches 100 degrees it will boil and turn to steam.

Climate denier: no it won't because Leonardo DiCaprio flies in a private plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

jackboy wrote: »
    So you can’t name one hate crime not covered in current legislation. Not only that, but now you are saying that the Gardai don’t know what a hate crime is.
    correct, there is currently no legal framework for hate crimes in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

After sorting out the excessive population growth and re-educating consumers not to buy and throw away short lived "disposable" products.
    Human beings talk a great story about these things . The vast majority will go back to the way they have been very quickly .

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »

It wouldn’t hurt if the Luvvies put their brains in gear .

Yer wan flying from Los Angeles and back in to protest about climate change show the dumb bubble some of these prats are in .

Extinction Rebellion disrupting Public transport in London is more brain dead stuff .

I hope these peoples thinking on the broader picture is not just more dumb stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

You must be drained after that comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Middle class millennials think its trendy to drone on about climate change they haven't really a clue what they are taking about ,reminds me of a few years ago when the fairtrade thing was trendy and the kids all latched onto it, you rarely hear anything about it now.

Inevitably this climate thing will slowly be forgotten about until the next "trendy" subject gets their attention.

SAD BUT TRUE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Is there a chart to showing the correlation over recent years between climate change hysteria and the dumbing down of our education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure where you're going with that line of thought? We had a Professor running in Ireland south who was a climate change denier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I love the hysteria in this thread about the Greens gains.

If there are to be carbon taxes, I would believe it could be close to tax neutral. Lobby for that rather than be against change in behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

The environment takes the focus of the immigrants flooding the country. the hotter it gets the more at home they will feel coming from Africa and all that but wait till the winter comes with frost and snow and rain they'll be frozen , no they wont they will be in the houses we should be in ......

europe is a cesspool of deceit and we are being sold whole load of lies.!! Yes the temperature is rising naturally via mother nature but this lot are using it to tax us and terrorise us. Why else would RTE the fake news mainstream give such a platform to that mchugh girl who has come from no where to top the polls?? to divert from the real **** we are in up to our necks.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Taxes can be used to change behaviour like taxing tobacco more or giving tax relief for doing something good like recycling or solar panels.

If you tax tobacco people can either pay and put up or else give up. No one needs tobacco to survive.

When you tax diesel people need it to go to work.

The environment takes the focus of the immigrants flooding the country. the hotter it gets the more at home they will feel coming from Africa and all that but wait till the winter comes with frost and snow and rain they'll be frozen , no they wont they will be in the houses we should be in ......

europe is a cesspool of deceit and we are being sold whole load of lies.!! Yes the temperature is rising naturally via mother nature but this lot are using it to tax us and terrorise us. Why else would RTE the fake news mainstream give such a platform to that mchugh girl who has come from no where to top the polls?? to divert from the real **** we are in up to our necks.......

Nonsensical racist rant in a climate change thread.... What even...

Taxes can be used to change behaviour like taxing tobacco more or giving tax relief for doing something good like recycling or solar panels.

Recycling and solar panels? you need to do some proper research on those two because they are not what you believe.

Leo Varadkar received the message today that climate is a big concern for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Why else would RTE the fake news mainstream give such a platform to that mchugh girl who has come from no where to top the polls?? to divert from the real **** we are in up to our necks.......

Excuse me! Be careful what you say about our future Taoiseach and leader of the majority Green Party Government of 2020:

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Excuse me! Be careful what you say about our future Taoiseach and leader of the majority Green Party Government of 2020:

Ah, promoting your own YouTube channel..... I think she came across as highly competent.

The Democrats have their AOC, we have SMc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Correction: Being concerned for the environment is currently trendy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I like being trendy, so I think we should also try tackle things such as growing inequality, you know, just to look cool, or something

From Father Trendy

to

Trendy Gay Taoiseach

Both Comedy creations in their own way .

On plus side though, the majority of your views, the public don't share and view as pretty atrocious. I think it's pretty great that it's "trendy' to limit the damage we're doing against the environment.

The biggest benefit of trying to address is that it will hopefully leave the world in a decent state for generations to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When you tax diesel people need it to go to work.
    No they don't.

More than half of the traffic on ours roads is discretionary and non-commercial. That is, commuting and leisure driving.

The average distance to work countrywide is 15km.

Most people choose to drive their car to work on their own every day. There are plenty of alternatives. A minority of people are in a situation where they have no other choice.

Bend over and prepare to pay your carbon taxes, that’ll fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

seamus wrote: »
    No they don't.

More than half of the traffic on ours roads is discretionary and non-commercial. That is, commuting and leisure driving.

The average distance to work countrywide is 15km.

Most people choose to drive their car to work on their own every day. There are plenty of alternatives. A minority of people are in a situation where they have no other choice.

I’m in that minority, what is to happen to us? I’m also low paid, so no electric car or fancy heating systems for me. Carbon taxes aren’t going to save the planet, and anyway it’ll be irrelevant to those of us freezing in unheated houses.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Bend over and prepare to pay your carbon taxes, that’ll fix it.

Carbon taxes won't fix it, no one is saying that. They are just one part of a solution, they are also tiny I've no problem paying a few cent on fossil fuels.

It will also encourage development of greener alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

inocybe wrote: »
    I’m in that minority, what is to happen to us?
    Your employer will have to raise their prices to pay your increased expenses.

Everything is going to get more expensive because the only way to make people think more sustainably is to make convenience less convenient.

We've been basking in the spoils of reckless abandon for decades now, but it has to end. It's time to pay the Piper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

It's undoubtedly the Attenborough effect we're seeing reflected in the Green's polling numbers. Mainstream media constantly telling us we're all terrible people & then patting ourselves on the back for emailing Tesco to have a bleat about packaging.

Advertisement