Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Really!

Again, your solution is, let's do nothing!
    Ordinary People should not allow themselves to be taxed until those that can actually afford to pay are the ones taxed .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

blinding wrote:
    Ordinary People should not allow themselves to be taxed until those that can actually afford to pay are the ones taxed .

But this may never occur, I do personally think the taxation approach is a particularly bad one, as it strengthens deniers beliefs, and largely pisses everyone off

Science and technology are the only tools that can be used to deal with climate change .

Humans will talk a good story especially those making money out of climate change but a short time later they will go back to their habitual habits while have patted themselves on the back .

If climate change is going to destroy the world only science and technology can save it .

blinding wrote: »
    Science and technology are the only tools that can be used to deal with climate change .
    You're ignoring some of the causes.

Reducing waste caused by excessive consumerism & planned obsolescence requires legislation and education the same can also be said for population growth.

Tackling these issues will reduce the human impact on the planet, calling it "climate change" simply diverts attention away from the real issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Were you expecting a desert or a swamp? Ireland is one of the last places that climate change will effect greatly due to our latitude and position on the edge of a landmass.

The Arctic on the other hand....

Actually it could be one of the first, if the north atlantic drift stops/shifts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You're ignoring some of the causes.

Reducing waste caused by excessive consumerism & planned obsolescence requires legislation and education the same can also be said for population growth.

Tackling these issues will reduce the human impact on the planet, calling it "climate change" simply diverts attention away from the real issues.
    You keep repeating this over and over and over again, you seriously sound like a Twitter bot, you must have said it about 50 times at this stage in every thread like this, great if it makes you feel clever but its one issue, and not even the main one, farming/transport/power generation are all pumping out greenhouse gases at insane levels and are nothing to do with planned obsolescence.
    "calling it "climate change" simply diverts attention away from the real issues"
    WTF is that supposed to mean? We're altering the climate in drastic ways because we're dumping so much insulating gases into the atmosphere, climate change is the issue.

Thargor wrote: »
    You keep repeating this over and over and over again, you seriously sound like a Twitter bot, you must have said it about 50 times at this stage in every thread like this, great if it makes you feel clever but its one issue, and not even the main one, farming/transport/power generation are all pumping out greenhouse gases at insane levels and are nothing to do with planned obsolescence.

WTF is that supposed to mean? We're altering the climate in drastic ways because we're dumping so much insulating gases into the atmosphere, climate change is the issue.
    Good,
    I have your attention, so what's your solution!
    I have suggested a method that would reduce waste and pollution by 20% or more, but as the solution is bad for business, it will not get supported.
    In fact, I expect it to be met with hostility by vested interests.
    The post above has hints of this hostility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

twinytwo wrote: »
    Actually it could be one of the first, if the north atlantic drift stops/shifts

Yeah I was going to mention that, esp as I did name check the Arctic who's ice melt could weaken or break the Atlantic drift but got diverted by life. That's the one thing that could make us uncomfortable. The good news is that Newfoundland and Nova Scotia survive and that's what we'd be looking at roughly.

Good,
    I have your attention, so what's your solution!
    I have suggested a method that would reduce waste and pollution by 20% or more, but as the solution is bad for business, it will not get supported.
    In fact, I expect it to be met with hostility by vested interests.
    The post above has hints of this hostility.
    Yes Im a vested interest with hostile intentions towards anyone suggesting a reduction in consumerism or planned obsolescence, well done :rolleyes:

Again what does "calling it "climate change" simply diverts attention away from the real issues" even mean? Its a thread about climate change, as a result of all the emissions from industry, farming, ICEs, electricity generation, deforestation etc etc etc but you just copy and paste your planned obsolescence post over and over again, its more annoying to read than the actual denier muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Well some people care about climate change and some men want women to think they care about climate change so women will sleep with them. And sure why not ...i hope it works for them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgk8UdV7GQ0 I always think of this when there is a discussion about climate change.

Thargor wrote: »
    Yes Im a vested interest with hostile intentions towards anyone suggesting a reduction in consumerism or planned obsolescence, well done :rolleyes:

Again what does "calling it "climate change" simply diverts attention away from the real issues" even mean? Its a thread about climate change, as a result of all the emissions from industry, farming, ICEs, electricity generation, deforestation etc etc etc but you just copy and paste your planned obsolescence post over and over again, its more annoying to read than the actual denier muppets.

the main issue is that for business and economists "growth at any cost" is the aim, growth is non-negotiable.
    This growth is the driving force behind all of the increases in CO2, tackling the end result while suppressing the root cause, means that the issue will never get resolved.

This is what I mean and it is the reason why things like excessive consumerism and planned obsolescence are such a major part of the equation.

Just consider how much manufactured stuff the average person now possesses and just how often it is replaced, relative to how often it is actually used.
    Now compare that to what a group of people would have possessed back 100 years ago.

Why, for example does every single person in a street "need" a lawnmower, when one person could work full time with one lawnmower and cut all the lawns in the neighbourhood. Doing this would eliminate the waste produced by manufacturing 100 lawnmowers as opposed to one lawnmower.

So many ways that the pollution generated by excessive consumerism can be reduced, but all are "bad for business" so they will simply not be discussed by the vested interests.

the main issue is that for business and economists "growth at any cost" is the aim, growth is non-negotiable.
    This growth is the driving force behind all of the increases in CO2, tackling the end result while suppressing the root cause, means that the issue will never get resolved.

This is what I mean and it is the reason why things like excessive consumerism and planned obsolescence are such a major part of the equation.

Just consider how much manufactured stuff the average person now possesses and just how often it is replaced, relative to how often it is actually used.
    Now compare that to what a group of people would have possessed back 100 years ago.

Why, for example does every single person in a street "need" a lawnmower, when one person could work full time with one lawnmower and cut all the lawns in the neighbourhood. Doing this would eliminate the waste produced by manufacturing 100 lawnmowers as opposed to one lawnmower.

So many ways that the pollution generated by excessive consumerism can be reduced, but all are "bad for business" so they will simply not be discussed by the vested interests.
    The Greens are been taken for a ride and it isn’t even going to be a Green Ride .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Really!

Again, your solution is, let's do nothing!

Ireland may as well do nothing with regards climate change when the global impact will be negligible. I mean the sum total of Ireland's contribution to CO2 is the equivalent of a few medium sized Chinese power stations.

When you look at what is driving environmental damage, it's population growth. There are probably twice as many people on the planet than it can carry sustainable and that is the real issue.

Unfortunately economic growth, on which our societies are structured is at a fundamental level largely based upon population growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Change equally qualifies as growth but a different form. Doesn't have to be, more output.

Wait for the wailing when the Plan is announced this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Unfortunately economic growth, on which our societies are structured is at a fundamental level largely based upon population growth.

I'd argue its based more so on the increase of global wealth, and population growth is simply a bi product of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Well done to all the climate fear-mongers. You've successfully created the biggest threat to your own livelihood than the climate ever could. We couldn't have left a more stinking legacy for our children.

The yellow vest protests are our only hope now. (I wonder why they don't make the news anymore??)

bfa1509 wrote: »
    We couldn't have left a more stinking legacy for our children.
    Whoosh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Arctic permafrost meltdown

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/18/arctic-permafrost-canada-science-climate-crisis
    Permafrost at outposts in the Canadian Arctic is thawing 70 years earlier than predicted, an expedition has discovered, in the latest sign that the global climate crisis is accelerating even faster than scientists had feared.

A team from the University of Alaska Fairbanks said they were astounded by how quickly a succession of unusually hot summers had destabilised the upper layers of giant subterranean ice blocks that had been frozen solid for millennia.

“What we saw was amazing,” Vladimir Romanovsky, a professor of geophysics at the university, told Reuters. “It’s an indication that the climate is now warmer than at any time in the last 5,000 or more years.“

The paper was based on data Romanovsky and his colleagues had been analysing since their last expedition to the area in 2016. The team used a modified propeller plane to visit exceptionally remote sites, including an abandoned cold war-era radar base more than 300km from the nearest human settlement.

Romanovsky and his colleagues said they were confronted with a landscape that was unrecognisable from the pristine Arctic terrain they had encountered during initial visits a decade or so earlier.

The vista had dissolved into an undulating sea of hummocks – waist-high depressions and ponds known as thermokarst. Vegetation, once sparse, had begun to flourish in the shelter provided from the constant wind.
    Scientists are concerned about the stability of permafrost because of the risk that rapid thawing could release vast quantities of heat-trapping gases, unleashing a feedback loop that would in turn fuel even faster temperature rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Well done to all the climate fear-mongers. You've successfully created the biggest threat to your own livelihood than the climate ever could. We couldn't have left a more stinking legacy for our children.

The yellow vest protests are our only hope now. (I wonder why they don't make the news anymore??)

They barely made the news here anyway, it was shocking seeing the extent of the protests channel-hopping late at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Seanachai wrote: »
    They barely made the news here anyway, it was shocking seeing the extent of the protests channel-hopping late at night.

Can't be giving people ideas can we. I always smirk when some idiot calls the French "cheese eating surrender monkey's" or some such sh1t. We are going to get taxed out of existence by this climate scam and the best the Irish will do is ring Joe Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I am not denying that global temperatures are increasing, or that ice caps aren't melting, or sea levels not rising etc. (although I am skeptical of how significant the role humans played in all of this). But why all the deranged hysteria all of a sudden? Is there new scientific evidence published?

Just 15-20 years ago the only headline grabbing climate change stories were from Al Gore's spurious catastrophic predictions for the future (many of which failed to occur of course). But now there is no escaping it. We are being bombarded with climate crisises left, right and centre all of a sudden, but they don't seem to have any substantial basis whatsoever. Yet the global hysteria is mind boggling, from huge protests, to bold political promises, to no-meat mondays to Birthstrikers (yes, there are women who refuse to have children because there won't be an earth here for them to grow up on... https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/12/birthstrikers-meet-the-women-who-refuse-to-have-children-until-climate-change-ends)

If someone says that the earth is flat or the moonlandings were faked, or 911 was an inside job, we point and laugh at them, say they need to put on their tin-foil hat and then move their thread to the conspiracy forum. Yet, a climate change activist can spew the most baseless claims and they get applauded and put on a pedestal.

Was I in a coma when all this damning evidence came to light? The world feels the same to me as it did back in the 90s.

There is very erratic weather happening all over the world and places are flooding regular that never flooded before also permafrost is melting.
    It's only expensive to tackle because the world revolves around oil and that's not an accident. The big money men don't want us to move away from oil.

There is very erratic weather happening all over the world and places are flooding regular that never flooded before also permafrost is melting.
    It's only expensive to tackle because the world revolves around oil and that's not an accident. The big money men don't want us to move away from oil.
    Would the Big Money Men not already have bought up whatever Technologies that they believe / know will be the Technologies of the future ?

How do we know for certain that they are not in control of some of the Green Lobby Brigade ?:eek:

Would the Big Money Men not already have bought up whatever Technologies that they believe / know will be the Technologies of the future ?

How do we know for certain that they are not in control of some of the Green Lobby Brigade ?:eek:

I believe water will be the next oil and any tech that means you can create your own energy will be taxed to the hilt or made so expensive you can't buy your own. They won't let a little thing like the environment get in the way of the chance of a profit.

I believe water will be the next oil and any tech that means you can create your own energy will be taxed to the hilt or made so expensive you can't buy your own. They won't let a little thing like the environment get in the way of the chance of a profit.
    There must be Profit to be made out of this Green Carry -on with all the “ Pushing “ it is getting .

All Gore made a Packet out of it . How many more are trying to copy Gore .

The Governments Smell / Taste / Sense ‘ Glorious Taxes “ and after they Reap the Taxes the Greens will get the blame and be put back in the box until it suits to “ recycle “ them .

Around and around we go .

There must be Profit to be made out of this Green Carry -on with all the “ Pushing “ it is getting .

All Gore made a Packet out of it . How many more are trying to copy Gore .

The Governments Smell / Taste / Sense ‘ Glorious Taxes “ and after they Reap the Taxes the Greens will get the blame and be put back in the box until it suits to “ recycle “ them .

Around and around we go .

They'll always find a way but for now there's still oil.
    Al Gore is one man made money off a book hardly means anything. He did far more good than bad IMO.

Yes, the government will likely put any moves back decades in the greasy race for taxes that go who knows where and on what. Just means we need hold them to account rather than the usual drift from tweedle dee to tweedle dum, FF/FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Folks pause and think about this for minute......The last ice age was approx. 10,000 years ago. ''They'' tell us that all of northern Europe etc. etc. was under metres of ice and eventually it gradually started to melt...........what caused this melt down ??? No doubt some form of global warming..what else !:)
    What caused this global warming ??
    Should we be surprised if the odd ice cap melts in the twenty first century ?

Some years ago the hole in the ozone layer was the 'big thing' for the dope smoking, tree hugging, muesli eating, sandal wearing, save the planet brigade, then they moved on to ''global warming'' remember that ? Then when their bluff was called they re-invented themselves and now folks it's 'climate change' that's the current buzz word........but it will pass eventually. But sadly in the meantime the poor tax payers of this country will pay a high price, in fact it has the potential to bankrupt the country more than the collapse of the banks did i.e. the demise of the Celtic tiger

Even if Ireland reduces it carbon output to zero to satisfy baying of the snowflake greens and turn the country into a banana republic in the process - consider this small example :

Population of Ireland 5 million
    ,, of China 1.4 Billion (yes billion !!)
    ,, of India 1.3 Billion
    ,, of Bangladesh 165 million

Get the message !

monseiur wrote: »
    Folks pause and think about this for minute......The last ice age was approx. 10,000 years ago. ''They'' tell us that all of northern Europe etc. etc. was under metres of ice and eventually it gradually started to melt...........what caused this melt down ??? No doubt some form of global warming..what else !:)

Some years ago the hole in the ozone layer was the 'big thing' for the dope smoking, tree hugging, muesli eating, sandal wearing, save the planet brigade, then they moved on to ''global warming'' remember that ? Then when their bluff was called they re-invented themselves and now folks it's 'climate change' that's the current buzz word........but it will pass eventually. But sadly in the meantime the poor tax payers of this country will pay a high price, in fact it has the potential to bankrupt the country more than the collapse of the banks did i.e. the demise of the Celtic tiger

Even if Ireland reduces it carbon output to zero to satisfy baying of the snowflake greens and turn the country into a banana republic in the process - consider this small example :

,, of India 1.3 Billion

Get the message !
    We might as well hold our Farts in for as long as we can !

If Global warming is True , Only Technology could do something about it .

Since the Industrial Revolution Technology is King .

Humans beings will change sweet fook all of their behaviour as soon as you take your eye off them . Posturing , Virtue signalling = Yes , and then back to normal .

Technology is the only hope , the only hope .

monseiur wrote: »

,, of India 1.3 Billion

Get the message !

So we should dismiss what 'they' say and believe the deniers and corporations who coincidentally make billions ignoring it? Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

So we should dismiss what 'they' say and believe the deniers and corporations who coincidentally make billions ignoring it? Fair enough.
    It's not a matter of believing deniers or indeed believing the prophets of doom, it's a matter of having a long term view on how planet earth and it's climate and indeed it's micro climates operate. Our planet is forever evolving and changing from long before what we now call 'civilization' made their presence felt and it will continue to do so for millions of years to come. Indeed it's not possible for it not to.
    But coming back to the here and now - if, for example all motorised vehicles (cars etc.) in Ireland, all 2.6 million of them, were replaced in the morning with electric vehicles how would/could that make one iota of difference to global carbon emissions ?? USA has 276 million cars, Russia has 60 million, India 220 million, Japan 80 million, India 210 million, China 340 million....................................
    It's like trying to convince the inhabitants of say the smallest of the Aran Islands that if they dump their handful of ICE cars and go all electric they'll save the planet while the rest of Ireland does nothing.
    The problem with common sense that unfortunately it's no very common !;)

Advertisement