Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Agree to some extent with the OP, we had snowy winters, hot summers and wet summers and so on back in the 70s &80s. I don't Irish weather has changed that much in my lifetime, though it could if the predominantly westerly source of our moist and relatively warm air masses were to change.

What I do notice though is the large drop in moths, butterflies and other insects. Twenty years ago here, if you left a window open of a summers evening, the house would be full of moths. You'd often be catching butterflies and putting them out in the daytime. When you sat down outside there was a constant buzz outside of bees and other insects. You'd be cleaning off the windscreen and headlights of your car on a regular basis in summer as the country roads were thick with flying insects in evening/ night time.

These have all gradually decreased, to the point where it's quite noticeable. Whether this is to do with changing climate or agricultural sprays I just don't know.

I was in the Wesht of Ireland for the Easter weekend,and my motoring car was covered...I mean COVERED in dead insects of a huge variety...big bugs,little bugs and what looked like small birds all stuck to the front panel,grille and windscreen.

Had a job n a half cleaning them off when I got to Galway Bay,only to have to repeat the process back in Dublin.

Not proof of anything,except that there's still a lotta bugs out there.

Fast fwd to this morning,and a grand little demo in front of (a closed) Leinster House.
    Sizeable crowd of noisy activisty yooths....In front of me was a Cork registered vehicle with two young ladies standing up with their heads out the sunroof,yelling and yahooing support for the protesters....

The vehicle in question was an Audi Q7 4.5 Quattro,which also had a very strident horn which the drivers was keen to demonstrate,so much so that they were unable to hear my rendition of "The Phantom Raspberry Blower of old London Town".....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwaEPTSRcSw

Yea right......:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

BarryD2 wrote: »
    So? Perfectly normal for this type of northerly air source at this time of year. It's this type of picking random oddities in the weather and saying that it's proves climate change, that drives me nuts!

Who said anything about about proving climate change? My post makes no reference to climate change, nor does the article I linked to. Simply states that today there was a hailstorm in Carrickmines that caused collisions. That drives you nuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What about the Fanny storm hitting India?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

If you want to prove man made climate change is not happening simply prove it wrong.

Also collect your Nobel prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

hgfj wrote: »
    Who said anything about about proving climate change? My post makes no reference to climate change, nor does the article I linked to. Simply states that today there was a hailstorm in Carrickmines that caused collisions. That drives you nuts?

It might reasonably be assumed that if post about hailstones in May on a thread about climate change that you mean it to refer to it in some way??

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I was in the Wesht of Ireland for the Easter weekend,and my motoring car was covered...I mean COVERED in dead insects of a huge variety...big bugs,little bugs and what looked like small birds all stuck to the front panel,grille and windscreen.

Had a job n a half cleaning them off when I got to Galway Bay,only to have to repeat the process back in Dublin.

Not proof of anything,except that there's still a lotta bugs out there.

Maybe all the bugs have abandoned this side of the country (SE) and headed Wesht on their holidays so, 'cos there ain't very many of them round here. Even the little midges that'd drive you mad have got thinner on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Again no. The EUSSR is not going to compel us to stop eating beef or go vegan. We aren't slaves.

Of course it won’t compel anyone - we live in a democracy. But once people realize the health and climate benefits of a vegan diet, and the EU subsidies for beef production are removed - game over.

That’s before they start to fine us over all those farting cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The bottom line is...unless ALL countries and Governments get involved, what is the point of a piddly little country like ours making any difference?

It has to be a worldwide issue, and that is not happening AFAIS. We in Ireland can do our bit with electric cars (and carbon taxes) and so on, but if other countries deny Global Warming, what is the actual point?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The bottom line is...unless ALL countries and Governments get involved, what is the point of a piddly little country like ours making any difference?

It has to be a worldwide issue, and that is not happening AFAIS. We in Ireland can do our bit with electric cars (and carbon taxes) and so on, but if other countries deny Global Warming, what is the actual point?

What's the point in cleaning up our own back yard? Cleaner rivers, lakes, seas. A better environment for wildlife. More trees on the land. Less cars on the road, better public transport.
    I can't see any drawbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

What's the point in cleaning up our own back yard? Cleaner rivers, lakes, seas. A better environment for wildlife. More trees on the land. Less cars on the road, better public transport.

e091207_pett.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well, farmers are in for a rude awakening. Beef production will be decimated, its only a matter of time. The signs are hopeful that Leo will tackle it. If not, the EU will have to - it is simply too damaging to the environment.
    The big challenge for farmers will be to come up with planet friendly crops, before they’re all reduced to growing trees.

:rolleyes:
    Well we'll be all dead then. We can't eat feking trees and trendy avocados or lentils or whatever won't ever grow here. The countries topography, weather condition and soils prohibit growing many commercial human grade crops.

The carbon foot print of flying fake industrial food halfway around makes this bs. Most of the cheap food imported comes from places with few if any environmental or ethical standards.

If you really want to make a difference with regard to individual responsibility - the top (three) actions you can take to cut your own emissions, in order of impact, includes having fewer (or no) children (equaling, for someone in a rich country, an estimated 58.6 tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per child, per year), living car-free (about 2.4 tons per year) and avoiding air travel (about 1.6 tons per round-trip transatlantic flight)."

Best of luck with all that.

There are other foods apart from beef and avocados. Since when are lentils trendy? You really come across as a dinosaur old man, like Jeremy Clarkson and Piers Morgan and their ilk.

There are other foods apart from beef and avocados.

Thelonious - Im getting concerned yer following me at this stage :D But yeah try growing them commercially here and see how you get on...

We produce grass here better than just about anywhere on the planet. But hey let's grow bananas or whatever :rolleyes: And dont start that ilk ****e.

Government seem to only care about immediate benefits for their consituents.

The long term view means a roll of the eyes. Look at mass transit in our cities. Cars are king. The rest will follow in 2040 and beyond if we are still alive to see it.

gozunda wrote: »
    Thelonious - Im getting concerned yer following me at this stage :D But yeah try growing them commercially here and see how you get on...

We produce grass here better than just about anywhere on the planet. But hey let's grow bananas or whatever :rolleyes:

You're all over every thread that has anything to do with the environment, you are hard to avoid.

Government seem to only care about immediate benefits for their consituents.

The long term view means a roll of the eyes. Look at mass transit in our cities. Cars are king. The rest will follow in 2040 and beyond if we are still alive to see it.

Yes we all know Governments are just concerned with getting voted in again so long term environmental projects aren't on their agenda. Isn't that why people are protesting?

You're all over every thread that has anything to do with the environment, you are hard to avoid.

Christ I make one feking reply in a new thread and yer and the bear on my arse like a rash? I get you haven't been around long lad. But did he ever think it's cos that might be an area of interest rather than the Bingo forum or something??? You dont have to reply to me you know ;)

Yes we all know Governments are just concerned with getting voted in again so long term environmental projects aren't on their agenda. Isn't that why people are protesting?

Well the protests I see are in Rathgar, Ranelagh, Terenure and so on.

Objecting to Bus Connects that will help everyone including them. Go figure.

They are hoping to keep their property prices high, just have to look at how Dunville Avenue objections in Ranelagh resulted in Metro ditched for that segment.

If you have a big house in a sought after area, you have a big voice.

Yes and that's what's wrong with politics. On a positive note, the Greens did really well in the elections in the UK yesterday. So maybe people's priorities are changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can folk who have made changes to help in this cause tell us what exactly they did, so maybe we could all try to make the world a better place?

I do what I can. I recycle as much as I can, one of the cars is an eV. I wear my clothes til they can't be worn no more. Don't fly too often, once a year for last 3 years, before that maybe twice in 8 years.

I still heat the house with oil. No other option for now. Still eat meat, that's never going to stop, but I am already cutting back a little, more for health reasons. Is eating more fish bad for the environment too?

Any other big suggestions? Can't cycle to work.

I think if the government was to make it more attractive and easier to upgrade your house to make it more efficient, more would do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Why isn't it mandatory to install solar panels on every new house to reduce the amount the esb have to generate

Or every new house must install rainwater harvesting tanks to use for watering, washing car, washing machine etc

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Why isn't it mandatory to install solar panels on every new house to reduce the amount the esb have to generate

Or every new house must install rainwater harvesting tanks to use for watering, washing car, washing machine etc

Exactly.

That's what I keep harking back to. The government has the power to put these simple rules in place, but why aren't they doing it if we are supposedly on the edge of a crisis?

All new social housing getting built in Derry has solar panels. And excellent ber ratings.

And surely all new houses should have no chimneys? There is no future in burning turf, coal etc in homes surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Most new houses I see in my area have solar panels installed. No idea if for water or PV

Yes and that's what's wrong with politics. On a positive note, the Greens did really well in the elections in the UK yesterday. So maybe people's priorities are changing.

The greens in Ireland got everyone to buy diesel cars.

gozunda wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Well we'll be all dead then. We can't eat feking trees and trendy avocados or lentils or whatever won't ever grow here. The countries topography, weather condition and soils prohibit growing many commercial human grade crops.

I hope that the topography and soil condition hasn’t changed to the extent that we can’t grow spuds, cabbage, turnips, sprouts, onions, beetroot, and all the other crops we grew on a farm when I was growing up. No need whatsoever to import trendy whatever’s.

There is more and more evidence that not only is meat production becoming bad from an environmental perspective, it is also bad for our health. The issue is not whether farming is going to change, because massive change is unavoidable. The only issue is whether farmers will lead from the front or be forced to change when even further damage is done to the environment.

I agree about importing food over longer distances, and the excessive use of cars. We spend a lot of time in a Kerry and buy fresh produce directly from farms, the difference in quality from supermarket food is astounding. Car use is a different issue. The problem here is all the one off housing in the countryside, rather than people living in large villages and towns, allowing cheaper transport and living options.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Exactly.

That's what I keep harking back to. The government has the power to put these simple rules in place, but why aren't they doing it if we are supposedly on the edge of a crisis?

All new social housing getting built in Derry has solar panels. And excellent ber ratings.

And surely all new houses should have no chimneys? There is no future in burning turf, coal etc in homes surely.

Because the bulk of our politicians are only concerned about their own re-election. There’s also the issue of vested interests being allowed to overshadow sensible building and environmental standards.

Well that doesn't affect the UK but yes Eamon Ryan is a clown but hopefully a party emerges here with better environmental strategies

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Most new houses I see in my area have solar panels installed. No idea if for water or PV

Yeah have solar panels fitted. And use rainwater diveted from gutters to tank. Also grow rotational coppice willow. Lots of even older houses now have solar or have added external isolation.

NIMAN wrote: »

A lot of rural homes don't have access to the natural gas that urban areas have. Oil heating is common but also coal, firewood and turf. Bottled gas for cookers is also common. We use a couple of stoves burning mixture of smokeless coal and timber. I cut down trees but plant more than I cut. The eco warriors would no doubt decry the cutting of trees, but these are a much truer renewable source than the industrial wind machines and glazed fields that they propose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Advertisement