Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    All sources you mention are the ones that are exaggerating it.

:confused::confused::confused:

What evidence have you that this is the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

:confused::confused::confused:

What evidence have you that this is the case?

John told him :p

I like a mix of all news to make up my own mind.
    Rte, BBC, fox news, RT
    Big fan is David icke and Gemma o Dwyer always have very interesting points of view on current events.

Did you mean to say Gemma O'Doherty?

If so, that doesn't surprise me. Not in the slightest.

Also, Fox News? And you are talking about sheep???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Did you mean to say Gemma O'Doherty?

If so, that doesn't surprise me. Not in the slightest.

Also, Fox News? And you are talking about sheep???

So fox news isn't a credible news source? I've heard it all now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The channel that brings guest on and shouts them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

NIMAN wrote: »
    Exactly.

That's what I keep harking back to. The government has the power to put these simple rules in place, but why aren't they doing it if we are supposedly on the edge of a crisis?

All new social housing getting built in Derry has solar panels. And excellent ber ratings.

And surely all new houses should have no chimneys? There is no future in burning turf, coal etc in homes surely.

Solar makes sense where there is a feed in tariff so you get paid for the elec you don't use thst goes back on the grid. If you're out for most of the day, solar elec has limited value. Solar hot water more so.

Also, big solar elec installations skew a BER rating and make the house look more energy efficient than it is because it credits the solar installation with most of the elec generated being used.

There are grants for energy efficiency but energy isn't a subject people get. A lot of people don't really know if they're using more than they should or not. So spending on energy efficiency doesn't always look like good value to a lot of people.

And then energy efficiency is always framed as how much will it cost me and how much will it save me yet will spend a lot more on a new kitchen etc when it doesn't have a payback but is more aesthetic.

As for chimneys, people want a fire of some description. Even if it isn't needed. It may change over time but even now with new builds people want to see fire.

YFlyer wrote: »
    The channel that brings guest on and shouts them down.

I don't think so, see a lot of that on rte if the quests aren't left wing liberals.
    Fox is balanced enough compared to Rte.
    I particularly like tucker carslon

No. It isn't.

And, what about Gemma O'Doherty? Did you mean to mention her to say that you find her opinion informative and truthful?

No. It isn't.

And, what about Gemma O'Doherty? Did you mean to mention her to say that you find her opinion informative and truthful?

So who is the credible new source for the "enlightened"?

Can you answer the question please.

Do you find Gemma O'Doherty truthful and informative?

• Advertisement

No. It isn't.

It's those f**king unicorns again isn't it? :eek: they are to blame for global warming

Peer-reviewed scientists. Not a "new" discipline, unless you were born yesterday.

Solar makes sense where there is a feed in tariff so you get paid for the elec you don't use thst goes back on the grid. If you're out for most of the day, solar elec has limited value. Solar hot water more so.

Also, big solar elec installations skew a BER rating and make the house look more energy efficient than it is because it credits the solar installation with most of the elec generated being used.

There are grants for energy efficiency but energy isn't a subject people get. A lot of people don't really know if they're using more than they should or not. So spending on energy efficiency doesn't always look like good value to a lot of people.

And then energy efficiency is always framed as how much will it cost me and how much will it save me yet will spend a lot more on a new kitchen etc when it doesn't have a payback but is more aesthetic.

As for chimneys, people want a fire of some description. Even if it isn't needed. It may change over time but even now with new builds people want to see fire.

Very few new builds in Dublin have a fire. They give you option of a fire but it is more or less a TV screen.

Most new builds I see have Solar as well, checked and local estate has PV on every house, five acre estate

If the government provided a proper incentive to install Solar PV then FiT would not be required. Then the excess power could be used to provide power to the grid and reduce the requirement on solid fuel burning to create electricity.

Vision. Something the irish government and a large percentage of the population seem to lack

Can you answer the question please.

Do you find Gemma O'Doherty truthful and informative?

Yes I do

Peer-reviewed scientists. Not a "new" discipline, unless you were born yesterday.

Not talking about peer reviewed journals talking about daily mainstream news sources

Any outlet which references peer reviewed scientific data or presents evidence which is accessible, up to date and relevant, has guests who are qualified and experienced in a particular field, explores both sides of the argument and doesn't seek to forward an agenda.

Fox News and Gemma O'Doherty couldn't even understand the above let alone adhere to it.

Yes I do

We're done here. I've no interest having a discussion with a fantasist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Very few new builds in Dublin have a fire. They give you option of a fire but it is more or less a TV screen.

Most new builds I see have Solar as well, checked and local estate has PV on every house, five acre estate

If the government provided a proper incentive to install Solar PV then FiT would not be required. Then the excess power could be used to provide power to the grid and reduce the requirement on solid fuel burning to create electricity.

Vision. Something the irish government and a large percentage of the population seem to lack

It's changing re fires but people still want stoves. More so down the country.

Most people have solar cos of the regs. Easy way to tick that box.

A FIT would incentivise people to install solar bigger than self consumption to feed back to the grid. Outside of a FIT its hard to see that happening to any great degree

We're done here. I've no interest having a discussion with a fantasist.

Only fantasists that agree with you.
    This is what happens when people live in echo chambers

Only fantasists that agree with you.
    This is what happens when people live in echo chambers

Here is what I said I value in helping me become informed (bold added).
    Any outlet which references peer reviewed scientific data or presents evidence which is accessible, up to date and relevant, has guests who are qualified and experienced in a particular field, explores both sides of the argument and doesn't seek to forward an agenda.

Fox News and Gemma O'Doherty couldn't even understand the above let alone adhere to it.

Take care. The 21st century is going to blow your mind when you get as far as it.

• Advertisement

Here is what I said I value in helping me become informed (bold added).

Take care. The 21st century is going to blow your mind when you get as far as it.
    I'll be dead and buried long before the 21st century arrives my good friend

See everyone doesn’t get the same education

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_century

• Subscribers Posts: 41,487 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Oh my god!! :D

That explains all your posts now.....

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

See everyone doesn’t get the same education

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_century

The university of Wiki? :D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Oh my god!! :D

That explains all your posts now.....

LOL

Sorry for using this again but it did seem apt

“looking into a field full of thistles”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I thought claiming Fox News and Gemma O'Doherty were informative was gunna be as funny as things got but nope, it got better.

This is the best post in the whole thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

So how do you explain cattle dying in the fields at the start of last year because of the extended winter to flip over to one of the warmest summer we ever had?

That was after a period of more storms over a winter I can ever remember and the worst snow storm seen in Ireland in 30 years or so...

This is a classic example of alarmist hysteria where you take an unusual weather event and associate it with global warming. I`m another of these multi-generational farmers a few of ye like to ridicule and the simple answer to the above post is I`ve seen it all before and we`ll see it all again. Over 10 years ago the Shannon flooded and one of the daily papers called it "The Hundred Year Flood". I was telling an old guy I knew who grew up in Limerick in the 50`s about the headline and he just laughed. He`d seen the floods in his youth and said he remembered his father telling him about "floods the height of haycocks" two years in a row before the war.

I remember back in the 80`s when the statues started moving. Yeah right. Hundreds of thousands of people all over the country were claiming that they saw inanimate objects moving. Reminds me a lot of Global Warming alarmists today. A bunch of Chicken Lickens.:rolleyes:

tibruit wrote: »
    This is a classic example of alarmist hysteria where you take an unusual weather event and associate it with global warming. I`m another of these multi-generational farmers a few of ye like to ridicule and the simple answer to the above post is I`ve seen it all before and we`ll see it all again. Back 8 or 10 years ago the Shannon flooded and one of the daily papers called it "The Hundred Year Flood". I was telling an old guy I knew who grew up in Limerick in the 50`s about the headline and he just laughed. He`d seen the floods in his youth and said he remembered his father telling him about "floods the height of haycocks" two years in a row before the war.

I remember back in the 80`s when the statues started moving. Yeah right. Hundreds of thousands of people all over the country were claiming that they saw inanimate objects moving. Reminds me a lot of Global Warming alarmists today. A bunch of Chicken Lickens.:rolleyes:

I grew up on a farm which is still run in my family.

Are you trying to say the current weather patterns haven’t changed? I did post more details

This morning I woke up to frost in the garden, frost in May, that seem strange to you?

If you look at one thing in isolation then yes of course it happened previously, did you happen to ask the older man if he seen the last 24 months of weather before with a mixture of storms/flooding/snow storm/long mild winters/vey hot summers etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Frost in May is not unusual at all.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    I thought claiming Fox News and Gemma O'Doherty were informative was gunna be as funny as things got but nope, it got better.

This is the best post in the whole thread.

Well then the concept of sarcasm goes over your head and most of the others who don't think I know what the 21st century means

Advertisement