Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Russell.

Options
  • 03-05-2019 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Hi can someone please have a look at a ridiculous ban i received from the mod Sam Russell over in the New Ross bypass thread.

It started when he issued a warning about people making jokes on the thread. Now i did not make any jokes but i did say the place was gone to the dogs if we cant even have a joke now.

He proceeded to delete the post without even saying why. I found my post had been deleted and questioned why had it been deleted. He finally responded to which i replied again and he also deleted that post.

If this is the road Boards is going down then it is indeed a pathetic time for those involved. Suppression of opinion is clearly the agenda with some mods.

I have never reported a user/post or mod but this time i feel the need to. Sam Russell has clearly lost the run of himself on this one.

I hope someone with some logic and sense deals with this as it surely cant get more ridiculous as he has already made so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The first step in the DRP process of to contact the mod and attempt to work it out amicably between yourselves.

Can you confirm that that you have done this, and if so, what was the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

dudara wrote: »
    The first step in the DRP process of to contact the mod and attempt to work it out amicably between yourselves.

Can you confirm that that you have done this, and if so, what was the outcome?

Private messages. He has given no indication he is reasonable so i came here.

Ok, I’ll notify a CMod.

Please post your PM conversation with the mod here, or else have it ready to share with the CMod.

Ok, I’ll notify a CMod.

Please post your PM conversation with the mod here, or else have it ready to share with the CMod.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi alta stare,
    I am the Cmod who will be reviewing your dispute. Please forward all the PMs you have exchanged with the mod to my Black Swan mailbox. Also, it would be helpful to include links to any posts you or he has made that may be related to this ban. If you have any questions, please PM me or post them here.

Thanks,
    Black Swan

• Advertisement

Black Swan wrote: »
    Hi alta stare,
    I am the Cmod who will be reviewing your dispute. Please forward all the PMs you have exchanged with the mod to my Black Swan mailbox. Also, it would be helpful to include links to any posts you or he has made that may be related to this ban. If you have any questions, please PM me or post them here.

Thanks,
    Black Swan

Iv sent them on but im not sure if i have done as you have asked. I copied and pasted the links. I dont do this sort of thing so i dont have a clue as to what is the correct way of doing so. If they dont work let me know.

Also i cant send on the related posts as he deleted them and one of those without even giving a reason. After i had questioned it he admitted to deleting it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

alta stare wrote: »
    Iv sent them on but im not sure if i have done as you have asked. I copied and pasted the links. I dont do this sort of thing so i dont have a clue as to what is the correct way of doing so. If they dont work let me know.

Also i cant send on the related posts as he deleted them and one of those without even giving a reason. After i had questioned it he admitted to deleting it.

Links to PMs will not work as only you can access those links. Could you copy and paste the PM contents into a new PM to Black Swan?

Black Swan will be able to view the deleted posts

Thanks

Beasty wrote: »
    Links to PMs will not work as only you can access those links. Could you copy and paste the PM contents into a new PM to Black Swan?

Thanks

Yeah i done that a few minutes ago. Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

alta stare wrote: »

Beasty wrote: »

Thanks
    Thanks alta stare for forwarding the PMs exchanged between you and the mod regarding this 3-day ban. Your cut-and-paste worked. I am also going back looking at both deleted and open posts in the Roads forum. Have PM'd the mod team, but as we are volunteers it may take a bit of time before all have had a chance to reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Hi alta stare,
    The 3-day ban occurred after a sequence of your posts on the N25 New Ross Bypass thread following 2 in-thread warnings by the mod.
    Mod: Can we cut the jokes now.
    • alta stare wrote:
      Jesus Mods are banning jokes now? Fu(k me this place really is gone to the dogs.
    • alta stare wrote:
      Has my post saying this place has gone to the dogs been deleted???? So we cant joke or post any criticism..... If it has been deleted there is a mod out there who really needs a day out.
    Mod: If you want to make jokes, there is a thread for it. Of course it was deleted because it followed a mod instruction to leave the jokes out.

The occasional joke is OK, particularly if it apposite, and funny. However, the umpteenth variation of that same joke becomes tiresome.
    • alta stare wrote:
      Jesus man cop on to yourself. Did i make a joke no i didnt i merely commented on how bad this place has gone. Then it is proven beyond doubt how much of a joke mods can be when a post gets deleted. Pathetic.
    • alta stare wrote:
      And you do it again

3-day ban issued by mod for "Backseat Moderation: Look, back seat modding is not tolerated. I took no action before, but you persist." This action followed the Roads Forum Charter, wherein it is stated:
    Amtmann wrote: »
    Roads Forum Charter
    Rules

2) Moderator decisions may not be discussed, queried, challenged or disputed in a thread. If you have an issue with any moderator decisions, in the first instance send a Private Message (PM) to the moderator in question. If the outcome of this action is not to your satisfaction, your next port of call should be the Category Mods. If you are still not satisfied, take your issue to the Help Desk.
    What was a mod to do if you continued to ignore in-thread warnings with posts that directly violated the Rules of the Roads forum? Block access to the forum, which was what the mod did with a short 3-day ban. It should be also noted that some of the content of your replies to the 2 warnings were most inappropriate, which, in combination with the block justified a ban rather than a card.

I have reviewed your comments, the above posts, along with months of your posts on the Roads forum, PM's exchanged, and the forum charter. I have failed to find compelling evidence to reverse your 3-day ban, therefore it stands.

My review is completed. You have a choice to make. You can learn from this experience, and when the ban shortly ends in a day or so, post in accordance with the forum charter rules, and not ignore in-thread warnings. Or you can appeal my decision to Admin. Please advise.

• Advertisement

Black Swan wrote: »
    Hi alta stare,
    The 3-day ban occurred after a sequence of your posts on the N25 New Ross Bypass thread following 2 in-thread warnings by the mod.

3-day ban issued by mod for "Backseat Moderation: Look, back seat modding is not tolerated. I took no action before, but you persist." This action followed the Roads Forum Charter, wherein it is stated:

What was a mod to do if you continued to ignore in-thread warnings with posts that directly violated the Rules of the Roads forum? Block access to the forum, which was what the mod did with a short 3-day ban. It should be also noted that some of the content of your replies to the 2 warnings were most inappropriate, which, in combination with the block justified a ban rather than a card.

I have reviewed your comments, the above posts, along with months of your posts on the Roads forum, PM's exchanged, and the forum charter. I have failed to find compelling evidence to reverse your 3-day ban, therefore it stands.

My review is completed. You have a choice to make. You can learn from this experience, and when the ban shortly ends in a day or so, post in accordance with the forum charter rules, and not ignore in-thread warnings. Or you can appeal my decision to Admin. Please advise.

To be honest i figured a response like this would be spouted out so i am not surprised.

I will continue to post as i have done as i dont see anything i have done wrong. Sam Russell was being over zealous in his reaction and it would appear it is par for the course with other mods too.

If people cannot have a joke and a laugh on here then my god Boards really have reached a new low.

Now what exactly do you expect me to learn?? Am i to go off and have a moment of reflection??? Mad thing to say :D

You have a choice right now of accepting the result, or requesting an Admin review. Can you let me know if you wish to appeal?

You have a choice right now of accepting the result, or requesting an Admin review. Can you let me know if you wish to appeal?

Well i appreciate other Mods taking their time to look into this in the first place and i understand they do so on a voluntary basis so i dont like wasting peoples time but irrespective of all of that no i dont accept the result.

To be honest there probably isnt much point as it seems one mod appears to follow the other so is there even a point to appealing?

I also note how it appears mods can take a certain dismissive tone with posters yet if we do it the mod uses it as another reason to strengthen his case/ego ie Sam Russell in this case.

Sam Russell clearly over reacted here, he deleted a post and never informed why until he it was asked then he went to the Boards script of nonsense replies in order to keep a poster quiet. Black Swan seemed a bit more sensible until he/she stumbled on the same script. I must point out i have no issue here with Black Swan. Unfortunately for me he/she took the same line. :D He/She were fine to deal with and a respectful interaction took place.

Im guessing from viewing other disputes here that this one will go the same way as the majority do so everyone's time is being wasted but as i said previously in the post no i do not accept what has been said. If some one feels the need to refer it to someone else then by all means do.

If you need me ill be over ready to post in the New Ross bypass thread. :D

As you are not requesting an Admin review (based on my interpretation of what you posted), I will mark this as resolved and close the thread.

Let me highlight one item mentioned by Black Swan. Arguing with a mod’s instructions on-thread is a clear no-no on Boards. If you do it again, you will pick up further cards. If you have questions about a mod’s instructions, please use PMs instead to raise the matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement