Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac turning off during startup

Options
  • 03-05-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

My Mid-2009 Mac is turning off during startup, when the progress bar is just over the half way mark.

Been looking online for answers and did a few things but no joy yet.

I booted up pressing Cmd+S and did the fsck -fy command. I got the error “The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely”.

I booted up pressing Cmd+R for the Disk Utility. When I run First Aid on the HD I get the error “First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume.” Also error further down “problem -69842 occurred while restoring the original mount state. File system verify or repair failed. Operation failed”.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If the hard drive is as old as the machine, then I'd say it's probably failing. Even if it isn't, a reformat will probably be necessary. Do you have a backup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Could also be filthy inside, can you open it and give it a good clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

If the hard drive is as old as the machine, then I'd say it's probably failing. Even if it isn't, a reformat will probably be necessary. Do you have a backup?

Yeah the hard drive is as old as the machine. Don’t have a backup but don’t have a lot on the main HD but I’d like to somehow get the files off it. Would that be possible if the HD is failing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Stephen P wrote: »
    Yeah the hard drive is as old as the machine. Don’t have a backup but don’t have a lot on the main HD but I’d like to somehow get the files off it. Would that be possible if the HD is failing?

You could try. But to access it you'd probably need to connect it to another Mac or boot off an external drive with OSX installed on it.

Stephen P wrote: »

You could try. But to access it you'd probably need to connect it to another Mac or boot off an external drive with OSX installed on it.

Thanks for the advice.

I’m going to drop it to a local repair place tomorrow, they give a free quote on what needs to be done.

It’s caused me no trouble since I got it :(

• Advertisement

10 years is really good for a hard drive. I've never had one last that long.

10 years is really good for a hard drive. I've never had one last that long.

It’s actually Mid-2010, I checked the model no. Still, it’s old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Could also be swollen caps, common in machines from that era. They can cause all sorts of strange faults.

Ken

Advertisement