Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help help! Neighbor ruining my life

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

tvjunki wrote: »
    For all you know the landlord could have lived in the house and the neighbour is jealous that the landlord moved out and rented the house out.

Actually, from personal experience was what struck me as well. It may well explain what's going on.

I remember when we bought another house (same area) and rented out the old one, the older, retired neighbour was constantly coming round with all sorts of complaints about the tenants. We knew from the others neighbours that they were absolutely fine but this guy always managed to find something to complain about! There was always something wrong with every tenant.

In the end we just came to the conclusion he resented the fact we'd moved, probably missed our company a bit (we had gotten to know him and I got the impression the tenants didn't bother much with him) and this was what was behind it all! In the end he gave up when he wasn't getting anywhere!

OP I suspect your landlord had a similar experience with all the tenants he's had so far and knows what this guy is like!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Sorry to hear about your situation, but here is an idea.

<MOD SNIP - LEGAL ADVICE REMOVED>

Failing that, a simple court order telling him, he is not to contact you again, and if he does, he is in breach of a court order and liable to imprisonment.

As they say, simples.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Put a sign on your door, no cold callers, no junk mail or unwanted calls.....

God op how have you put up with this.

You are on part 4 tenancy so don't be worrying.

I would suggest stop answering the door and also don't entertaining calls from LL or neighbour over this to be honest.

You can enjoy your home as it is your home while you are a paying tenant.

Look up blink CCTV on Amazon and I suggest fitting at least 2 outside to record the sound and harassment of this fool.

Just ignore the neighbours if your not able to stand up for yourself.

Wow I would have have put him in his place the 1st call.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Evidence is required

Not necessarily.
    I know of a case where a neighbour brought a third party case for antisocial behaviour against the landlord said the tenants were having parties and made up a list of events. Every Friday or Saturday they called the guards when the tenants were walking in the house after a night out or if the tenants were in. Guards arrived walked in and then walked out...no party. Said there were parties when the tenants were on holiday aboard. When it went to rtb the rtb accepted the case. Neighbour awarded 1k as they started crying in the adjudication. Neighbour laughing as they said it was easy money.
    Landlord appealed and it was upheld and case was dropped as the landlord had a log of all calls from the neighbour and tenants. Dates neighbour had did not match when the tenants were in or out. It does happen.
    No video evidence, no recordings no logs of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

tvjunki wrote: »
    Not necessarily.
    I know of a case where a neighbour brought a third party case for antisocial behaviour against the landlord said the tenants were having parties and made up a list of events. Every Friday or Saturday they called the guards when the tenants were walking in the house after a night out or if the tenants were in. Guards arrived walked in and then walked out...no party. Said there were parties when the tenants were on holiday aboard. When it went to rtb the rtb accepted the case. Neighbour awarded 1k as they started crying in the adjudication. Neighbour laughing as they said it was easy money.
    Landlord appealed and it was upheld and case was dropped as the landlord had a log of all calls from the neighbour and tenants. Dates neighbour had did not match when the tenants were in or out. It does happen.
    No video evidence, no recordings no logs of events.

Some people’s imaginations really do get the better of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

Cezary88 wrote: »
    I'm writing here cause I'm pretty desperate at this stage, I've rented a house about a year ago, the neighbourgh is friend with the landlord which is away in the country. The deal was if I won't make noise I'll be fine.

Quickly I found my neighbor is looking into my windows and steps out into his garden as soon as my backdoor opens, we live in semi-detached house. It started from him coming to my door saying it was too loud the night before because I watched a movie "too loud" after 10'clock, fair enough I putted on home cinema when i moved in I didnt realize the walls are so thin I haven't turned it on since.
    Since then he's been telling me I either comply or he will have to talk to the landlord and I will have to leave. (There's no houses in area for rent I'm only an apprentice and I coparent a child every Wednesday and every weekend) so I did my best to not cross him as I need the house with the garden

After a year it came down to the fact I lifted the fence cause of his complaint about my dog barking at people passing by (while his 2little dogs never stop barking-he complaint about me making noise raising the fence anyway), I leave my dog out for not longer then 5 min. Not one of my friends set a foot in my door EVER and I mean I never invited anyone into the house. I don't play music at home at all (unless its daytime then sometimes quietly) i have my blinds constantly down. I dont go out the back unless his car is not at the house because he's watching me. I've been still harassed multiple times over making noise like when I would go out with my partner and come back home and I barely even go out...(twice I played music at the start when i moved in on one of the lowest settings on the TV being extremely vigilant) and after second time where he came to my door and he lied straight to my face he rang the door 5times and been knocking for half hour trying to make an idiot out of me which I even was stupid enough to not argue with him and took it being talked down like to a dog. I feel like I can't normally live in my house, my partner putted on music last year in the kitchen when cooking during day and he was straight to my door cause he works long he comes back home and works in the kitchen of his laptop so he needs to focus. that time he invited me into his house to have a talk with me and explain me how he works (He works crazy hours) he lives with wife and daughter, him and his WiFi are just living together.
    He would complain literally about anything, my dog barking for an hour (10min) talking too loud too late etc and everytime he would harass me if it will happen again I will have to leave and even if he wouldn't have anything to complain about he would call me over when he would saw me to tell me he's happy with me and ask loads of questions being nosy.

Matter of fact he never called the gardaas because he knows it was never loud
    i think I would actually love him to do so because I rather speak with them then receive harassment from him but he knows they would think its a joke if they would come over

2months ago I told him its my partners birthday and I told him it might be loud untill 10o clock he told me he will tolerate till 9pm So we left to pub at 9pm in my house that time there was only me, my partner and her younger brother a very quiet lad we came back home after pub my misses went to sleep and I stayed for a while longer talking with her brother.
    Couple days later I received phone call from my landlord telling me off, to be honest it sounded more like my landlord wouldnt want to deal with his harassment while having no problem with me, he was agreeing with me at the same time he is oversensitive and asked me to try to keep him happy,

I've been avoiding my neighbourgh since not once and I mean not once made a slightest noise and i havent seen him since
    Untill today he came up to me complaining about me having sex too loud with my partner at night and in the morning telling me I will have to do Smth or I will have to go.
    I told him there was no noise and walked away ignoring him completely.
    I informed of that my landlord saying I will not tolerate that and that its none of his concern am I intimate with my partner or not and that to my knowledge nowhere in rent agreement there's anything about me not being able to have sex with someone at night or early morning.

I'm absolutely sickened with the situation I feel harassed and walking on eggshells in my house.
    I've a nice garden I can't use blinds I can't open dog I can't leave outside it came to a point I'm having anxiety over him

On the end I will add I have very good references from 3 previous houses I've been renting in the past 5 years. Not one complaint ever...

Is there anything I can do? I feel like a dog thats being cornered and poked with a stick.

Please help

P.s. I don't know is it the right category to host this post, if not sorry for inconvenience

Why you entertained any of this nonsense is beyond me. The neck on some people!

Firstly. I’d keep reminding yourself - F**K HIM.
    Your needs outway his. Always.
    You are not doing anything wrong.

Your landlord doesn’t care. So isn’t going to do anything.

You are going to need to start ignoring the f**ker where possible. Do not engage him.
    If he crosses the line i.e. trespasses on your property, making lewd comments regarding you and your partner. You need to lift the phone and report it to the Garda each and every time.
    If he comes to your door ask that he remove himself from your property immediately slam the door in his face and call the guards. Every time.
    If he’s looking in your windows. Perhaps he’s some sort of peeping tom, that’s what I’d be suggesting, but who knows! That’s the guards job - so keep reporting it.

Lastly, let him call your landlord all he likes. Far better then you having to listen to it.
    If your landlord contacts you, very clearly explain that appeasing the nut job next door is not your problem. And that you are DONE listening to it.
    Tell him you have no interest in wasting any more of your time discussing him.
    The only narrative you’re interested in discussing is how your landlord is going deal with the neighbours harassment of YOU and how his behaviour is impacting on YOUR enjoyment of YOUR HOME.

You’ve been more than accommodating trying to appease this d**khead. Nothing you do is ever going to be enough. He needs a detached house in the middle of nowhere most likely. Which is something no amount of tip toeing around YOUR OWN HOME is ever going to achieve.

I’ll draw your attention back to my first point - F**K HIM!!
    Best of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

keep it civil please folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Why you entertained any of this nonsense is beyond me. The neck on some people!

I think that it is the fear of being made homeless? The OP said

"Since then he's been telling me I either comply or he will have to talk to the landlord and I will have to leave. (There's no houses in area for rent I'm only an apprentice and I coparent a child every Wednesday and every weekend) so I did my best to not cross him as I need the house with the garden"

Finding a rental these days is not easy by any means. Which is why I said. keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Im very sorry to hear about your problem -notwithstandimg that there are 2 sides to every story. Tbh he sounds like an absolute nightmare but there are a few ways he can damage you.

To protect yourself I would go to the free legal aid nights in the citizens advice centers and get their suggestions. There may be something in law they can suggest you put in writing to him as you also should have a right to the peaceful enjoyment of your home albeit rented.

I would also put something in writing to your landlord along the lines of your neighbour harassing you without reasonable cause and bringing it to his attention. -perhaps asking if s/he knows this is going on and has become a source of distress and harassment for you and can he speak or write to the neighbour about it - again - you are paying you rent and living peacefully in a commu ity and have a right to the peaceful enjoyment of your home etc.

If your landlord is smart s/he will pick up on this and address it with them as equally they will not want a claim, if unfounded, go against them in the ptrb for unjustified nois and distress caused to their neighbour. Doing this will protect you and them and have something on record - which is what the police will suggest to you to do first and which a ptrb will expect.

Although there is little you can do as he owns his house if he complains anout your dog you can mention that his dogs slso bark but that are a doglover and so have not mentioned it to him as they are nice dogs & it is hard to stop them being excited every moment of yhe day.. A shot across his bows could do no harm but in a kind way as the last thing you want is dog wars and a ruthless judge involved.

Ask your landlord to put something in writing and to copy you in the correspondence -and then politely stop engaging with him - (the neighbour) - he sounds like a total nightmare. Try to ignore him and not answer the door to him and tell him you are enjoying private time in your garden and to please refrain from speaking to you across the property boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I really empathise with you op. why do people like that even buy in estates.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. On one side of my house I had lovely neighbours....they had parties and people over quite midweek and weekends, they were great fun and so friendly, I used to have a laugh listening to the sing alongs they had and secretly wished I was invited in to join :D:D

....but on the other side of me I had a nightmare neighbour....they'd call me to turn the tv down on a Saturday night saying I was playing music too loud :eek: They called LL a couple of times because I was hoovering too late (9.30/10pm:confused:) They called into me another time because there was children playing in my hall......another time they asked if myself or visitors could close the front door more gentle that it was being closed too loud :eek:

They were a right pain and seemed to be a pain to other people in the estate too. Because I was renting they knew I would be nervous of them calling the landlord which I was so I understand why you are stressed particularly with the current rental market. I often wondered if there was something serious going on in their lives to cause them stress but I eventually came to the conclusion they were just not nice people and fairly miserable. They never called into my nice neighbours who owned their house and had parties all the time as they owned the house and probably would have said get lost. I feel they did it to me because they could, like your neighbour.

I was walking on eggshells living there. Couldn't have my friends up for a few quiet drinks the odd weekend , couldn't listen to music, couldn't play instrument, couldn't sit out my back garden for a chat or laugh with friends at weekend for fear of being ''too loud' , I was nervous even emptying my dishwasher in the morning or drying my hair late at night.

The house got sold so I had to move but am far happier where I am now as it was miserable living there with neighbours like that. You should log everything and calmly call your landlord and explain the situation.

I wouldn't escalate it with the neighbour by going crazy as he will use it against you. He'll ring you LL and say you are behaving aggressively towards him.

It is likely the LL had complaints from the pain in the a$$ neighbour and thought the old tenants were too loud. Log everything that happens and have it typed up and printed out incase you need it.

If you talk to your LL calmly and give him the heads up he may tell your neighbour in a polite way to report his complaints to the county council or guards if needed to take himself out of the equation.

That would be perfect because they'll tell him he has no grounds to make complaints if they aren't warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

930 pm and 10pm are utterly inconsiderate and selfish times to be hoovering. And as I tyoe I am listening to the third hour of children brought to the rented house next door to be share babysat screaming and running up and down the stairs. Yes neighbours can be assholes but when people are blind to their selfish actions and the noise they are making it is not surprising that with every ongoing rental and new tenant year after year that neighbours get fed up and intolerant and start to complain.- because - if.you don't have to be stuck beside an inconsiderate neighbour and they wont show an inch of cop on they will be moved on and their landlord fined through the ptrb.. You deal with people who own through the district courts at a tenner a go - no solicitor needed. If the OP has legitimate ongoing noise complaints against their neighbour they can make a complaint through the district court - if not, one has to ask is the wall noise onedirectional or is he perhaps a tad less noise conscious than he would like to be? Regardless if the OP has a noise complaint against his neighbour he can log it too and have something done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

930 pm and 10pm are utterly inconsiderate and selfish times to be hoovering. And as I tyoe I am listening to the third hour of children brought to the rented house next door to be share babysat screaming and running up and down the stairs. Yes neighbours can be assholes but ehen people are blind to their selfish actions and the noise they are makinv it is not surprising that with every ongoing rwntal and new tenant year after year that neighbours get fed up and intolerant and start to complain.- because - if.you don't have to be stuck beside an inconsoderate neighbour and they wont show an inch of cop on they will be moved on and their landlord fined through the ptrb.. You deal with people who own through the district courts at a tenner a go - no solicitor needed. If the OP has legitimate ongoing nouse complaints against yheir neighbour they can make a complaint through the districy court - if not, one has to ask is the wall noise onedirectional or is he perhaps a tad less noise consxious than he would like to be? Regardless if the OP has a nlise cimplaint against his neighbour he can log it too and have something done about it.

What....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dudara wrote: »
    You have tenancy rights, so you have a certain level of protection. Your landlord can only ask you to leave for a certain number of reasons, or because you’ve breached your lease.

First, give your landlord a heads up that you’ve had enough if this guy and that you will be living normally. He’ll probably get grief from the neighbour so it’s only fair to give him a heads up.
    After you do the above, disable your doorbell, so when he pops around you can ignore him easier.

Don't leave your dogs out by themselves, and check your garden for suspicious packages. This lowlife would probably resort to poisoning.
    Cezary88 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about my rights, I never got another rent agreement after the last one expired.
    You now have Part IV rights. Which means it's fairly hard to get rid of you for the next 5 years.

Advertisement