Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is mobile phone calling so expensive in Ireland?

Options
  • 04-05-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Since arriving to Ireland a couple months ago I've registered on a pay-as-you-go plan with three.ie and top-up with 20 EUR. Since then I've already burned through an additional 20 EUR just dialing local numbers. I've read through their pricing plan and I'm shocked they get away with charging for calling basic government services numbers, local calls, etc. Why is mobile dialing in Ireland so expensive vs other countries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It doesn’t have to be. Shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Economies of scale in a low density population country doesn't help. The cost of installing and maintaining the infrastructure would be much higher than compared to most other western European countries.
    Also as the other poster said, shop around for the unlimited plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

There are an abundance of monthly plans available from different providers that includes free calls/texts and X amount of data. You need to shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

It’s not expensive in Ireland. At least you do not get charged for receiving calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

NATLOR wrote: »
    There are an abundance of monthly plans available from different providers that includes free calls/texts and X amount of data. You need to shop around

The providers really want you to sign up to bill pay plans - not that keen on pay as you go plans. You can just submit to their will and sign up for bill pay and a nice monthly revenue stream for them or be awkward and stick with pay as you go - but they won't make it easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

Loads of cheaper options available like tesco and lyca.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You mention government services. The likes of 1890 numbers are very expensive to call from mobiles. Google saynoto1890 to find alternative numbers and save money

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The providers really want you to sign up to bill pay plans - not that keen on pay as you go plans. You can just submit to their will and sign up for bill pay and a nice monthly revenue stream for them or be awkward and stick with pay as you go - but they won't make it easy.

Your paying them either way, and providing a ‘revenue stream’. How is that being awkward?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Caranica wrote: »
    You mention government services. The likes of 1890 numbers are very expensive to call from mobiles. Google saynoto1890 to find alternative numbers and save money
    Yes, good advice. Those numbers are a scourge this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I pay €15 a month for unlimited calls, 15GB data, and avoid lo-call numbers. you're doing something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As above, shop around. Vodafone do a student offer for 20 per month, look into it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP if you are burning through 20e just calling local numbers then you need to choose a better plan.
    There are plenty of plans that offer unlimited local and mobile calls for 20, 25 or 30 a month and they don't come with 12, 18 or 24 month contracts either.

Had a cousin over from Canada a few months back and they commented on how mobile plans in Ireland are such great value to what they can get in Canada, Ireland used to be awful value but its pretty decent these days....as long as you are prepared to move provider to get the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How often are people calling 1890 numbers that it's something to be spending time worrying about? I cant remember the last time I rang one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Three sim only €30 per month with unlimited data, calls and texts. Not expensive imo. I remember paying over £200 per month in the 90s for my business phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Sleeper12 wrote:
    Three sim only €30 per month with unlimited data, calls and texts. Not expensive imo. I remember paying over £200 per month in the 90s for my business phone.

He will still have to pay for calls to 1850 & 1890 numbers on this plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Where are you from and what were you paying back home?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

neekolas86 wrote: »
    Since arriving to Ireland a couple months ago I've registered on a pay-as-you-go plan with three.ie and top-up with 20 EUR. Since then I've already burned through an additional 20 EUR just dialing local numbers. I've read through their pricing plan and I'm shocked they get away with charging for calling basic government services numbers, local calls, etc. Why is mobile dialing in Ireland so expensive vs other countries?

You've signed up to a plan whose selling point is unlimited data. Choose a more suitable plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gooser14 wrote: »
    He will still have to pay for calls to 1850 & 1890 numbers on this plan.

they will but 1850 numbers are a fixed price per call. 1890 numbers are charged at local rate (but not included in bundled local minutes as you say) but there are sometimes local number alternatives to 1890 numbers that would be included in bundled minutes. If they are calling 1890 numbers a lot they should really check out the saynoto1890.com website.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

48 months, 10 Euro, free calls to any network, free texts to any network, 3 gb of data and 60 minutes landline

Advertisement