Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick to Mullingar - Best route

• 04-05-2019 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

I am travelling from Limerick city to Mullingar tomorrow.

Could anyone please guide me on the best route, as in which is mostly motorways and shorter distance.

I went last month through M7, Roscrea, Kinnitty, Tullamore. But around 50 min were in small R roads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I am travelling from Limerick city to Mullingar tomorrow.

Could anyone please guide me on the best route, as in which is mostly motorways and shorter distance.

I went last month through M7, Roscrea, Kinnitty, Tullamore. But around 50 min were in small R roads.

Google Maps shows that route - the one you already travelled - as the quickest and most direct but apart from the first section it's all on secondary roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Is there an alternative route where it's Motorway M or atleast National Highway N?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I used to do this drive regularly, In the end I settled on Limerick - Portloaise - Mountmellick - Tullamore - Mullingar, its about 25km longer but the drive time is about the same as via Roscrea -Kinnitty - Tullamore but its a much more relaxed drive, its all either N or M roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Is there an alternative route where it's Motorway M or atleast National Highway N?

Yes. Limerick - Dublin - Mullingar

That's most helpful.

Did you get 2 tolls for a return?

Thank you
    I used to do this drive regularly, In the end I settled on Limerick - Portloaise - Mountmellick - Tullamore - Mullingar, its about 25km longer but the drive time is about the same as via Roscrea -Kinnitty - Tullamore but its a much more relaxed drive, its all either N or M roads.

• Advertisement

Did you get 2 tolls for a return?

yes, you have to pay the M7 toll in each direction (€1.90) unless you get off the M7 at Borris in Ossory and go Borris in Ossory - Mountrath- Portlaoise. It would add about 10-15 minutes to the journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yes. Limerick - Dublin - Mullingar

Surely just as handy to do Limerick-Galway-M6, it's my preferred Athlone route now.

Good to know.
    Is the road between Borris in Ossory and Portlaoise alright? Or small R road?
    yes, you have to pay the M7 toll in each direction (€1.90) unless you get off the M7 at Borris in Ossory and go Borris in Ossory - Mountrath- Portlaoise. It would add about 10-15 minutes to the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

2nd this. Definitely the best route road wise

Good to know.
    Is the road between Borris in Ossory and Portlaoise alright? Or small R road?

The road from Borris in Ossiry to Portloaise used to be the old N7, its a good road.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.

About to leave now for my journey today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks everyone.

About to leave now for my journey today.

Safe trip

Advertisement