Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission to shoot in land

Options
  • 04-05-2019 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

If I want to seek permission to shoot on land, do I ask the owner or the renter of the land?

If there is a conflict between their permission and non-permission, which takes presedence?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Whomever owns the sporting rights.

If the landowner still retains sporting rights you ask them, but if the person renting also paid to have the sporting rights of the land as part of the rental/lease agreement you need to ask them.

Of course bringing up such topics can put people off giving you permission, but at the same time you don't want to ask one, and be ran by the other.

The simplest solution would seem to be to ask whomever is working the land first. If they grant you permission then you can approach or find out who the land owner is and say that "Paddy" has no problem with me shooting the land, do you? Then it doesn't matter who owns the sporting rights as you have permission from both.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Cass wrote: »
    The simplest solution would seem to be to ask whomever is working the land first. If they grant you permission then you can approach or find out who the land owner is and say that "Paddy" has no problem with me shooting the land,....

I had two permissions were gun clubs shot the same lands. On on permission I tracked down the Secretary of the club and informed him that the farmer wanted foxs shot. The chap was happy as it helped with thier pest control.

The secound one was with pigeon shooting over standing crop. The farmer had a large area shared with the land owner and the local gun club who shot over the area couldn't be arsed to go in on the difficult days. So both farmer and land owner delighted to have us shoot for crop protection and having a presence on the land.
    Some of the club got the hump but were quickly reminded that they were welcome to help out and they did not have to come back at all if there was an issue. But in reality it was only one or two begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I had two permissions were gun clubs shot the same lands. On on permission I tracked down the Secretary of the club and informed him that the farmer wanted foxs shot. The chap was happy as it helped with thier pest control.

The secound one was with pigeon shooting over standing crop. The farmer had a large area shared with the land owner and the local gun club who shot over the area couldn't be arsed to go in on the difficult days. So both farmer and land owner delighted to have us shoot for crop protection and having a presence on the land.
    Some of the club got the hump but were quickly reminded that they were welcome to help out and they did not have to come back at all if there was an issue. But in reality it was only one or two begrudgers.

I had a bit of a issue with 3 lads that were part of a gun club and I bumped into them. They basically said I had no right it be on that land because I wasn’t gun club member. I wasn’t after their pet pheasants. I was out for rabbits and foxes. Vermin basically.
    They weren’t exactly the nicest of lads to deal with. But I did however tell the landowner about it and he wasn’t too impressed with them. Because I had permission from him to shoot the land king before these lads ever turned up with their club.
    These same lads also threatened to shoot my Harris hawk at the time if they seen her taking any of their pheasants.
    I told them there’s a lot more problems around than a Harris hawk taking one or two a year than foxes or mink or cats taking a hell of a lot more. Or a club member taking 5 in one day.
    More so the reason I wouldn’t join a club.
    They put me off completely
    Lads like them seem to bring clubs down.

Advertisement