Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster vs Connacht.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Great game to watch. The Pro14 is missing a trick by having so many shadow squad interpros in the regular season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Bundee applauding the boos as he went off was a funny moment. He'll be missed on the pitch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

accensi0n wrote: »
    Hendersons pivot in contact is great for making ground.

He always seems to make a couple of metres in contact minimum. Always go forward with him. Paddy Wallace said it in commentary that his 2/3 up the middle is as good as 5 out wide, which I'd agree with.

Cracking game!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

How many minutes left? Tia

Can see why TOH only has single digit Ireland caps, been pretty poor under the high ball today. You'd be massacred at International level doing that.

pc7 wrote: »
    How many minutes left? Tia

67', 13 mins left. 14-11 Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Coetze had that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

It's a penalty connacht. Once a player from either side is there it's a ruck. Been that way since the italy England rules changes

Connacht’s ruck protection has been very poor. Allowed some very basic turnovers.

+1

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭accensi0n

It's a penalty connacht. Once a player from either side is there it's a ruck. Been that way since the italy England rules changes

Which Ulster player was part of the ruck? It wasn't mccloskey since he was the tackler and then rolled away no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

accensi0n wrote: »
    Which Ulster player was part of the ruck? It wasn't mccloskey since he was the tackler and then rolled away no?

Read it again, it doesn’t have to be an Ulster player.

Ulster deserve the win though

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Two really poor errors from Delahunt led to that try.

Tom Farrell beaten too easily there.

Ulster value for the win. Great watch that game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Coetzee and Henderson won us that game.

Cave is spent, Ludik is injured, Addison and Hume out for season. Luke Marshall is on his last legs, so who is our backup centre in the semi-final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ulster more in control, felt like connacht had to make plays while ulster were happy to maintain the play and pace. Missed some of the half, was there a reason the ulster fans were booing aki?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Coetzee and Henderson won us that game.

Cave is spent, Ludik is injured, Addison and Hume out for season. Luke Marshall is on his last legs, so who is our backup centre in the semi-final?

Thought Coetzee was the difference between the sides. Made yards in contact every time he carried.

Well that and Connacht needed to police their own rucks better. Coughed up far too many cheap turnovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Ulster more in control, felt like connacht had to make plays while ulster were happy to maintain the play and pace. Missed some of the half, was there a reason the ulster fans were booing aki?

Think they were saying Boo-urns

He's a good player

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

They booed for a knock on in the first half don’t think they need much of a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It's just banter.....mock villainy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ClanofLams wrote: »
    They booed for a knock on in the first half don’t think they need much of a reason

That's because it wasn't a knock on. It was knocked back by a Connacht player and regathered by an Ulster one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

jacothelad wrote: »
    That's because it wasn't a knock on. It was knocked back by a Connacht player and regathered by an Ulster one.

Ulster were worthy winners. A fairly significant minority of supporters are painful tho, booing a player coming off isn’t on. ‘Banter’ or not

Connacht has plenty of annoying supporters too but first time I have experienced a crowd that bad.

Thought Coetzee was the difference between the sides. Made yards in contact every time he carried.

Well that and Connacht needed to police their own rucks better. Coughed up far too many cheap turnovers.

The one where we were well inside their territory (think it was a play from the line out that Burns kicked straight out) and Henderson just reached in and picked up the ****ing ball from the ruck. The lord ****ing jaysus. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

cson wrote: »
    The one where we were well inside their territory (think it was a play from the line out that Burns kicked straight out) and Henderson just reached in and picked up the ****ing ball from the ruck. The lord ****ing jaysus. :mad:

Yeah there were a few of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Tough old game today, both sides put on a good show. I think Ulster were worthy winners but Connacht could easily have nicked it too.

Coetzee, Henderson and Marshall all had big games today. Others too.

Lineout was a bit of an issue. We need to improve on that for Glasgow, hopefully we will get Stockdale back too which will help.

bilston wrote: »
    Lineout was a bit of an issue. We need to improve on that for Glasgow, hopefully we will get Stockdale back too which will help.

He's a big lad but ye'll hardly have to resort to throwing him up secure possession? :pac:

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Burns first season, has moved to a new country etc etc

Hardly fair to judge him yet. Will see how he gets on next season

Burns has been perfectly fine anyway. He has been getting better as the season has gone on. He didn't have a great game today though so will get a bit of stick. However it doesn't mean he isn't good enough.

I'll say it again, he has started all but 3 games for us this season and we have reached the Quarter Finals in Europe and now the Semi Finals of the league. You don't do that with a poor out half.

He probably suffers in some people's eyes because he isn't Paddy Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

bilston wrote: »
    Burns has been perfectly fine anyway. He has been getting better as the season has gone on. He didn't have a great game today though so will get a bit of stick. However it doesn't mean he isn't good enough.

I'll say it again, he has started all but 3 games for us this season and we have reached the Quarter Finals in Europe and now the Semi Finals of the league. You don't do that with a poor out half.

He probably suffers in some people's eyes because he isn't Paddy Jackson.

My post was supposed to be positive. I have watched a good bit of Ulster this season and he has played very well.

Some people seem to have it in for him, I was just pointing you can expect to see his best rugby in the first season. Especially with a new team/coach/country etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭launish116

Folk forget Billy is only 24 and in his first season. Personally think he's done well and has bought into Ulster well. Like most of our young backline, I see him developing and growing.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    My post was supposed to be positive. I have watched a good bit of Ulster this season and he has played very well.

Some people seem to have it in for him, I was just pointing you can expect to see his best rugby in the first season. Especially with a new team/coach/country etc.....

Oh I know you were being positive, I just quoted your post because it was the one I agreed with the most!

• Advertisement

launish116 wrote: »
    Folk forget Billy is only 24 and in his first season. Personally think he's done well and has bought into Ulster well. Like most of our young backline, I see him developing and growing.

He has won U18 and U20 medals with England, World Championship at U20 so he is a good player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Why were uslter fans booing bundee??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Why were uslter fans booing bundee??

Cause of his no arms tackle...he became the panto villain.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Cause of his no arms tackle...he became the panto villain.

https://twitter.com/bundeeaki12/status/1124765176694284293?s=19

Bundee is a very sound man, just an absolute demon to play against. Large majority of comments on social media are saying fair play etc but there's still a few dopes telling him he's a show boater for beating his chest after scoring or that he should be banned for his tackle and deserved the boos, you'll get them in every walk of life unfortunately :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I agree. It was only a penalty...his style of play is to be on the edge when defending. Just using is natural assets

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I agree. It was only a penalty...his style of play is to be on the edge when defending. Just using is natural assets

I'll be honest I thought it was more than a penalty given the way the game is officiated today.

However the booing was a bit stupid. Boo the incident fine, but don't boo the guy everytime he turns up on the big screen or when he leaves the pitch.

But people will do what they do I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Under the current interpretation, Aki should have been carded. No intent but there was no wrap and he hit the guy with his shoulder.

But was the booing not for the showboating as he was scoring the try?

Under the current interpretation, Aki should have been carded. No intent but there was no wrap and he hit the guy with his shoulder.

Did he not celebrate the try earlier in season with a similar chest beating?

I thought it was a carry over from that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Think it was both. I was right where he scored at the family terrace and he was roaring at the crowd.

And I thought it was only a penalty. Wouldn't have agreed with a card, but in the current climate, I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd got a yellow for contact with the head.

• Advertisement

I was afraid he was going to get sent off tbh.

I was afraid he was going to get sent off tbh.

Was never a red,.....

With some ref's in today climate anything to the head is an automatic yellow.

In my eyes it was a penalty and that was it....

Booing was out of order leaving the pitch regardless.

Still think the hit was a boarderline penalty. It was a powerful hit on a falling outhalf. Burns is so much lighter than Aki and shoulder was chest hieght, resulting in burns almost bouncing before Aki could wrap his arm. The tackle overpowered Burns before Aki had a chance to complete it.

If we as an Ulster team need players in the opposition team to be binned to win a game, we dont deserve to be in the knock out stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Still think the hit was a boarderline penalty. It was a powerful hit on a falling outhalf. Burns is so much lighter than Aki and shoulder was chest hieght, resulting in burns almost bouncing before Aki could wrap his arm. The tackle overpowered Burns before Aki had a chance to complete it.

If we as an Ulster team need players in the opposition team to be binned to win a game, we dont deserve to be in the knock out stages.

We don't, though.

But Ulster didn't need a player to be binned? Aki got away with just a penalty.

From where I was sitting, Ulster deserved the win, Connacht did well but the better team won.

From where I was sitting, Ulster deserved the win, Connacht did well but the better team won.

I agree. Ulster where the better team. Massively improved this season

• Advertisement

What I'm getting at is people complaining about not getting a yellow thinking the team needs that to win. If that's the case then we don't deserve to be there.

In the end Aki didn't get a yellow and we won, so who cares if it was a or wasn't a yellow.

Ulster did deserve the win.

What I'm getting at is people complaining about not getting a yellow thinking the team needs that to win. If that's the case then we don't deserve to be there.

In the end Aki didn't get a yellow and we won, so who cares if it was a or wasn't a yellow.

Ulster did deserve the win.

?? Scroll up. The discussion was about why he was being booed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

'got away with'?
    Never a card and the officials agreed. It was never a 'got away with'

OldRio wrote: »
    'got away with'?
    Never a card and the officials agreed. It was never a 'got away with'

Ah come on. Literally three posts further up you'd have seen some context

I presume ye were all out on the beer after the match because there are a lot of really grouchy and super-sensitive heads this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Its strange bundee was targeted for abuse reminds me of how zebo also got targeted by some ulster fans

Mod - banned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement