Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dogs & camper vans

• 04-05-2019 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi, we are thinking of buying a camper van so we can travel around with our 2 labs. I’m looking for tips from anyone who does this already, what dog friendly bits & pieces should we look for in a camper van? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Not a camper van but we go caravaning with our dog, she likes being in the caravan with us, not so keen on having to be tied up when we're hanging out at campsites. (She gets walks etc but the rules generally require dogs to be tied up - sometimes when we arrive she huffs and sits in the car boot for as long as it's left open. She's telling us she wants to leave I suppose.)

But not sure what dog friendly things you need - space for them to stretch out when travelling perhaps?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I know a lady in England who was buying a camper-van and had it built to specification, to include two large dog crates, in which her dogs could comfortably travel with her.

PS A solo lady van-dweller feels much safer with dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I live in the UK now and its a lot more liberal that Ireland in attitude to dogs but even so all dogs have to be in a lead and under control on any site I know off. Either buy a stake with a few metres rope attached, I have two barely used (bought them for my departed lurcher who liked to wander) or get those beach windbreaker thingies to make an enclosure and then keep them on the lead outside of your 'home'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Seat belt harness or safety carrier is a must thing that you should carry in your camper van. I would also recommend the dog’s bed, food, medicine and supplements. Additionally, you must have cone or alternatives of the cone if your dog has licking or bitting habit around his neck or other parts of the body.

CamperVan_7.jpg

xmanuelll_grandcanyon.jpg?q=70&fit=crop&crop=entropy&w=808&h=500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

I spent a few months converting a VW TRANSPORTER To a camper for this very reason! Two huskies - myself & the wife.

I naively thought the dogs could sleep in the van... and while they fit... and we have done it... we opted to buy a few bits to make the whole experience a bit better for all 4 of us.

I re-used 2 of the original 'van' cargo hooks (in the floor) to connect the dogs harnesses to. With the amount of hair coming from them, this was quickly abandoned - and we used their 2 'folding' fabric crates for travel.

As van windows were higher up than the car, they naturally were jumping up to see out. So the crates put a stop to this. Better all round.

After our 1s trip, we decided to buy a drive-away awning, from VanGo. An extra room, for us, for them.., and especially for sleeping.

However, unlike the tents we were used to (before the van purchase), the awning had no sewn-in floor (it's detachable) so... plenty of room to escape IF the dogs fancied it.

The fabric crates (previously used in our tent) were upgraded to a GIANT metal crate. This fits (only just!) in the van when traveling.., and attaches to thr floor via the 2 'cargo' hooks mentioned earlier.

As the dogs are now outside the van, it allows me to add pad-locks, for extra security. The fabric crates would make it too easy for the dogs to be taken.

We usually stake a long bungee into the grass/ground, so the dogs can chill outside (and as most campsites will want dogs not running loose).

And we bought those travel friendly bowls - for storing food. They each open up to form 2 bowls. Top half for water, bottom for food. And a sealed container inside. Great yokes!

The vw transporter was perfect for us. Small enough to park anywhere. Fits under the 2m barrier you find in a lot of beaches. And I use it as my daily driver.

Hope this info helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

b36de6d0-19cf-4e05-8960-687be843e801.jpg
    64b90e00-acde-47c5-affc-2d5189863b34.jpg
    e45b197f-f934-44b6-a505-582065579811.jpg
    7f083a72-225e-4d6e-b8b9-5b7f144dddcc.jpg

Pics to go with above reply.

Advertisement