Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone experience gaming burnout?

Options
13»

Comments

• This thread really highlights what a broad church gaming is. From someone like myself who might play generally about 3-5 hours a week (which might go up to about 10 hours in a week if I'm really enjoying a game) playing single-player campaigns to the people that might play MMOs for 6 hours a night.

Spending a decade playing the same game is astonishing to me - I would never have the willpower, patience or interest to do something like that.

No messing there is a person in my friends list on xbox who has played Destiny 2 for literally 1750hours

And Destiny 1 for 2600 hours

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thats actually small hours compared to your average MMO on PC.
    Id hate to think how many hours ive put into WOW the last 14 years lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

No interest in mainstream gaming aside from the odd game like Spiderman. I've gotten into simracing on my PC and have a full rig, wheel, oculus rift and I've been using that since September 2017 and have joined a community, race regularly on iRacing.. even met the people in the community in real life.

So I've not really got burnout, just evolved from playing all the mainstream games to finding out what I really enjoy.

In saying that, I definitely play alot less, could go week or weeks without playing, but when I play and get a race in or a special event like a long endurance race of 6 hours+ then I really enjoy it and the practice building up to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Simracing rocks ,only those that never tried knock it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

Not exactly a burnout case, but I just don't play much anymore. The reason is that I like MMORPGs and you need to put in 2-3 hours a day most days of the week into a game to really enjoy it. With small children this is just not practical. I enjoy an occasional Minecraft session since all the mining and crafting reminds me of old days of grinding in my favourite MMOs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

With small children this is just not practical
    Of course it is, you don't need more than 2 hours of sleep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Even reading the word 'Grinding' in relation to gaming makes me lose the will the live. I don't know how people enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well, depends, if it's doing all side quests/missions in an area before moving to next it's because you want to get as much content as possible and have a better experience going forward (unlocking skills etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Guy I work with has 4,477 hrs in CS GO on Steam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

RopeDrink has some very good points but what stuck out to me was gaming communities themselves.

I've been apart of a few over the years with varying degrees of involvement. A few that spring to mind are:

DeathRats + Sérenity - WoW Guild back in TBC / WOTLK on Al'Akir EU Horde, My very first guild in WoW that I stuck with for years. I was very active in this guild and in WOLTK became an Officer. The guild was so big in TBC that we had to form a second one to continue recruiting. It had a dedicated raiding team which I was apart of but took on anyone that wanted to join really. Met a lot of people over the years on their teamspeak server. Biggest guild on one of the more popular EU servers at the time. Our Rivals were a Chinese guild on the Alliance side I think they were called the "Golden Dragons". Often enough what would start off with just one member ganking would turn into an open world battle between our guilds. Sadly I didn't leave on good terms with some of the other officers and guild master and the guild is dead sense Cata. I skipped Cata entirely and went back to WoW in Mists till the end of Warlords of Draenor. I bought Legion but I only played it for a total of 2 hours before uninstalling and saying good bye to WoW for good (Im lying, ill probably go back to play classic!)

29th Infantry Division - A group that is still very much alive and kicking in other games but when I joined a few years back they were focused on a mod for the game Red Orchestra called "Darkest Hour: Normandy 1944"
    These guys had 100's of members and took things very seriously with a fully fleshed out rank system. When you joined you had to go through basic training and then you were assigned to a squad in a platoon. I had fun in this group but I didn't stick it as they took it a bit too seriously for my liking and you would be constantly spammed if you decided to play something else instead of coming on for training etc. What was crazy was how well structured it was though, You were a member of a squad, part of a Platoon, part of a company of 5 or 6 in the division. The scale of it meant that you would probably never even meet some other members.

The 87th Royal Irish Fusiliers - A group that had the command structure of a Regiment back during the Napoleonic era that play a Mod for Mount and blade Warband called Mount and Musket which a few years later got its own stand alone DLC called Napoleonic Wars. They didn't take themselves too seriously but we engaged in training and "line battles" a few nights a week both for NA and EU players. I spent 3 years with this group and still game with people I met in it. I believe its still alive but Im not sure what they are playing now.

I have been a part of loads more and of course these days we have 1000's of discord servers but the three I mention above I probably put the most time and effort into.

When you are a part of one you could be all playing the same game or type of game for years and not get sick of it because you find yourself coming on just to have a laugh with each other etc.
    Id imagine leading one of these communities would give you a sense of duty to be on too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭KerryGoat

I think when you play a game with a competitive edge to it burnout is only natural, people play these games professionally for money, so when you think about it like that you could easily understand how someone can be burntout playing a game.

Just my two cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think nix is after mentioning something that is most likely my current cause for burnout. As mentioned, when the boredom or burnout starts with the SP games, I usually jump into a MP game. Every year, with the exception of 3 years since CoD MW, I've had my CoD to go to. Didn't have it the year Ghosts came out, as it was terrible (think I got into BF IV that year, what a game). Same with WWII and this years BlOps 4. I've no interest in the current BF, and while Titanfall 2 is still relatively active, it's just not scratching that itch.

I did get BlOps 4, and I was enjoying it, but I traded it in for some reason, and while I think I will get it again, i'm not rushing to buy it. I reckon my burnout will be gone before it, but when MW4 drops I don't think I'll be experiencing burnout for a while, as I'll have that in between my SP games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Overwatch or rainbow 6 sound like an obvious choice for you

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Overwatch or rainbow 6 sound like an obvious choice for you

I'm forever forgetting to clarify my tastes, I play MP games solo. I've tried playing in teams a few times, and unless I have teammates that are the same as me, it's a mess. Only a few times have I enjoyed playing with others, and I'm pretty sure that's because we had 4 tvs and 4 consoles in the same room in a square, drinking and playing online. So I play solo, and try to play objectives even if no one else is (and usually default back to TDM).

Overwatch doesn't interest me in the slightest, tried it a few times but too team based to enjoy by myself. Rainbow 6 seems too tactical for my liking too. I just enjoy the pick up and play of the CoD games, and unlike most others, I loved IW and AW, so BlOps felt like a bad copy to me. Even the most recent one, it feels stale and is missing something. No interest in BR or zombies either.

I'm a fickle f*cker. And I'd love to get into Apex, but there's still no solo mode, and by the time they introduce it I'll be too far behind skill wise to enjoy it. And I detest fort****e. I won't even capitalise it. Would have enjoyed it except for the building I reckon.

I'll be grand again on Tuesday, as long as RAGE 2 lives up to the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Its the way we game needs to change as its gone stale. Turning on a console grabbing a remote that act in itself is not enough anymore.

Graphics are getting better that is all nothing else is changing. Something new needs to hit the gaming world.

For me, it's VR once they figure out a proper movement system, and I'm hopeful that the 3D Rudder will do that. In the meantime, aside from God of War last year, nothing has blown me away quite like Astrobot, Superhot VR and Beat Saber. I reckon Beat Saber is my most played game these days, and it would be longer but my body won't keep up with me, have to stop after 90-120 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 was "current gen". What's changed is the type of game I like.

A lot of modern games follow the same mechanics that were established in the PS2 days, and that doesn't interest me much any more.

I've drifted into flight sims like DCS/Falcon4 BMS. Incredibly detailed, spending 8 minutes on the ground flicking switches before being able to get the Warthog or Hornet into the air. It's not for everyone, but I find it relaxing.

At the moment I'm trying Senua in VR, and I like it a lot. It's the story-telling rather than the hack-slash.

I'm also coding a game in assembly for one of the older 80's systems, and trying to implement a speech-synthesis expansion card to go along with it. Just because I find it interesting, it keeps the mind active.

The wife and kids can tune into the Great British Bake Off or something similar, but it's not for me. I can do my own thing sitting alongside them.

So yeah, gamer for life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll have nothing bad said about the great British bake off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

^ lol

One thing that always ends any born out I may experience is watching a let's play.. Every single time I start watching one I end up just playing the game.

Advertisement