Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grange/Streedagh toilets, no bins grimmmm

• 04-05-2019 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Had a fab day at Streedagh. Tons of people walking, and plenty with their beloved dogs, including me.

No bins anywhere. I have recently finished chemo and did not want to have to take the dog pooh home. Why are there no bins?

Then really needed to go to the loo myself. We drove to the petrol station and filled up the tank and wanted to use the facilities. OMG, I don't think I have ever seen a toilet so filthy. I couldn't use it. A little girl and her mum also came in but I think they too turned back. I reported it and the staff were very, very nice indeed in the shop, but honestly the toilets were like a scene from train spotting. This was not just grime from today or yesterday. Shame.

Comments

• Same at Mullaghmore, ie, no bins for dog poop.

I can understand completely the responsibility for everyone to take their own trash home (especially as some people were using the public rubbish bins to dump their own household rubbish instead of paying to get it taken away), but no dog waste bins is stretching it.

Had a lovely day recently at Mullaghmore with 3 dogs and had to take the dog poop home in the car. Not very pleasant. Plenty of others didn't, with many poop bags dumped on the verges and some dog poo on the beach.

I would have liked to think that after paying for dog licences that the Co-Co could provide bins for dog waste for responsible dog owners. Not so it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

While I understand the reason Op didn't want to take the dog waste home and while bins would help with the issue I really think people need to start taking responsibility for their dogs. A lockable container in the boot of the car would be plenty sufficient to get you home and dispose of the waste.

People need to start living the 'leave no trace' attitude, not expect councils to clean up after them.

If dog owners were truly responsible they wouldn't be expecting those bins.

Not knocking you Op just that even with bins there if people don't care they won't use it anyways, that mentality needs to change.

No toilet facilities however is not acceptable, especially if you want families to enjoy the beach for more than a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

rizzodun wrote: »
    While I understand the reason Op didn't want to take the dog waste home and while bins would help with the issue I really think people need to start taking responsibility for their dogs. A lockable container in the boot of the car would be plenty sufficient to get you home and dispose of the waste.

People need to start living the 'leave no trace' attitude, not expect councils to clean up after them.

If dog owners were truly responsible they wouldn't be expecting those bins.

Not knocking you Op just that even with bins there if people don't care they won't use it anyways, that mentality needs to change. Agree

No toilet facilities however is not acceptable, especially if you want families to enjoy the beach for more than a few minutes.

I am off work currently, but have every intention of going back to work. I am happy to pay tax, but I expect my contributions to provide the basics. The council imo are wiping their hands off basic facilities. Volunteers including myself are picking up litter daily. This is a massive cop-out.

I have been to the backs and beyonds of Romania and they have no problems providing bins and decent, clean toilets.

• What is the story with Sligo Co-Co's provision/non-provision of dog waste bins? Has there been anything official published on it?

In 2017 central Gov allocated extra funding under the Environment Fund for local councils to set up initiatives to reduce/prevent dog fouling, which could include dog waste bins. Was this down to each Co-Co to firstly access the funding and then allocate it as they saw fit?

I'm aware that some provision of dog waste bins has been setup and run by voluntary local initiatives, have they been Co-Co funded?

Also whats the story with the variance of Co-Co providing general waste bins in various seaside/tourist locations? eg: general waste bins provided in Strandhill but not Mullaghmore?

I'd like to think the Co-Co has been chasing up and enforcing fines on offenders, but I haven't heard of any? Any word on that?

Advertisement