Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering Irish car in UK

Options
  • 04-05-2019 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am moving to UK next week, and I am trying to read up about registering my car over there, and I'm finding it incredibly complicated.

One issue I have just ran into is paying VAT.

I bought my car for 4500 from a private seller who worked at a dealership. However, it was his own car and I paid the full amount directly into his bank account. At the time I didn't even consider VAT.

The form I have to fill out requests an invoice number, which I don't have. This dealership has since ceased to exist and I can't seem to get hold of one.

I am just worried that I will be caught out to pay VAT charges on my car if I bring it over. I am wondering if anyone has been caught in a similar situation and can help me please?

I have to explain why I don't have an invoice number. Is it worth saying that I bought from a private seller? Or will that just get me in trouble?

Please, any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Just a few more notes;

I bought the car second hand. So obviously it was bought originally and someone paid VAT on it in Ireland at some stage? ie; 2009 when it was first registered.

So by this logic I'm wondering if I'm covered. As, on the GOV website it says;

If you’re importing a second-hand vehicle, you will not have to pay VAT if all the following apply:

VAT has already been paid in any EU country including the UK
    the vehicle has been in use for more than 6 months
    the vehicle has done more that 6,000km (about 3,728 miles)

It doesn't specify that I had to be the one who paid VAT.

Once again, any help would be massively appreciate to put my mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does your car have mph clocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

1. Don't worry about VAT. It will be no issue.
    2. As Colm mentioned, if Speedo is not in MPH you'll need to modify/swap your speedometer
    3. Check potential value of your car on Vrt export calculator. If worth anything, make booking for export inspection before you take it out of Ireland, and imonce registered in UK send the proof with a form and few other docs to revenue and you'll get a refund of Vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Clocks don’t need to be in mph once over 10 years old btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You need to get a certification from vosa, then you can request plates from dvla. As regards the Speedo, am pretty sure it had to read in at least mph and kmph.

There's no vat liability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.
    I didn't think I'd have to pay VRT either. How much could that be?

My clock is digital so I can change it to MPH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I dont mean this to sound cheeky - but is it worth it for a car at this price point?

You probably would like the convenience of being able to drive your stuff over there, but could it be that it would be easier to sell here and but something over there?

Also - no you dont have to pay VRT - but you might just get a VRT refund (Thats the point CiniO was making!)!

JoeyBuddy wrote: »

My clock is digital so I can change it to MPH.

You mean your main speedometer is digital. When I was going to do same was told, there has to be a permanent mph availability. If it's switchable by the driver it doesn't count and won't pass vosa certification

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If it's switchable by the driver it doesn't count and won't pass vosa certification

I'm not sure what you mean by that, because cars with digital speedometers in my experience always have a button for switching between MPH and km/h, and the same goes for UK spec cars. The setting is persistent, e.g. turning off the car won't reset it back to km/h.

It was a few years ago. But I was bringing an Irish A6 over and could not get certified with the speedometer as was. And the digital one didn't count as it wasn't permanently viewable. But maybe that was the actual issue. Sorry I can't remember exactly

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass#speedometers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Oh, I'm talking about when there is just one speedometer and it is digital. Anything supplemental and not permanent is not going to count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Might be cheaper to sell the car in Ireland and buy a car in the UK instead.
    Most cars are a lot cheaper in the UK than Ireland.
    That was what I did when I moved to Northern Ireland.
    I got a car that was 3 year newer in Northern Ireland for the money I got from selling my car in the south of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It was a few years ago. But I was bringing an Irish A6 over and could not get certified with the speedometer as was. And the digital one didn't count as it wasn't permanently viewable. But maybe that was the actual issue. Sorry I can't remember exactly

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass#speedometers

If it's an EU vehicle it doesn't need IVA, just needs a European Certificate of Conformity and if LHD a Certificate of Mutual Recognition
    https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/mutual-recognition

Advertisement