Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How are they still counting in Longford? 4 seats to play for in one area I heard there on radio? Something seriously wrong there if it goes to nearly 5 days counting a few thousand votes

That area started yesterday at 930 and is on a recount. So its bad but not THAT bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

if they have a vote and are still getting presenta off santy claus theyve been taking you for a ride a lot longer than since last Friday tbh

yes...yes... i know i jest. but still...with FGs housing policy they'll be with me for a very long time. actually i can see the next FG slogan now, "FG, KEEPING FAMILIES TOGETHER FOR LONGER!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

From Gavan Reilly, final LE seat totals
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1133486147915669504

Flies in the face of the media narrative hollering about it being a bad election for FG.
    Absolute disaster for SF.

FF 279 (+12)
    FG 255 (+20)
    SF 81 (-78)
    Lab 57 (+6)
    Greens 49 (+37)
    SD 19 (new)
    Sol-PBP 11 (-17)
    I4C 3 (new)
    WP 1 (nc)
    Aontu 3 (new)
    Renua 1 (new)
    Others 3 (-1)
    Independents 187 (-6)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Social Democrats best new party, and rightfully so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

1 Renua councillor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That is some **** up for SF.

First time anyone has won anything running as Renua, which I thought might never happen. Easy enough to fund a campaign when you have state funding for the 2% vote from '16 and only one serious candidate!

SF have lost almost as many councillors as Labour did in 2014 which lead to a leadship change. S/PBP have lost as many or more % wise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

retalivity wrote: »
    1 Renua councillor.

John Leahy in Offaly, he was already a councillor. Apparently more a personal than a party vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Danzy wrote: »
    That is some **** up for SF.

Major autopsy needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Major autopsy needed.

They need to get outsiders to do it, same will not deliver.

Much of it will be uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

wl3q0fxbt6211.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Thats an unbelievable loss for Sinn Fein, considering they weren't in government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Mary Lou is looking at the axe. Matt Carthy interview was candid regarding leadership taking a hit. This is absolutely catastrophic and I'd be worried if I was a potential SF TD

It's a pretty terrible result for Labour, especially outside Dublin.

Mary Lou is looking at the axe. Matt Carthy interview was candid regarding leadership taking a hit. This is absolutely catastrophic and I'd be worried if I was a potential SF TD
    Who would you replace Mary Lou with? Needs to be someone from the South, I think also a man. Pearse would be favourite. Jonathan O'Brien maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Can't they use the Nutting Squad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Who would you replace Mary Lou with? Needs to be someone from the South, I think also a man. Pearse would be favourite. Jonathan O'Brien maybe.

Never gonna be JOB, Pearse or Declan

Never gonna be JOB, Pearse or Declan
    Michelle O'Neill needs to go too could have Kearney deputy. I like Finucane the new Belfast mayor but hes not experienced enough yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As much as I'm not a fan of listening to Mary Lou, Michelle O'Neill takes it to another level.

An absolute dose to listen to. Always sounds angry, harsh, aggressive. What was Martin thinking recommending her for the top job in the North?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thats an unbelievable loss for Sinn Fein, considering they weren't in government.

They were the largest party on Dublin City Council. Maybe their voters worked out that objecting to everything only gets you so far. They failed to deliver housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Manuel Sharp Thinker

Do you think FG bringing FF to prominence after having us 'practically eating out of bins' played a small part? I do.
    I'll leave you to your blather. You seemed to understand my comment well enough to respond.

You've said this eating out of bins thing a few times, what the hell are you talking about?

Do you really think FF, the party who have been the largest in the State for its entire history up to the 2011 election, need help with their profile? Bizarre stuff.

Otherwise, It has been wonderful to see SF and PBP decimated in the locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Do you think FG bringing FF to prominence after having us 'practically eating out of bins' played a small part? I do.
    I'll leave you to your blather. You seemed to understand my comment well enough to respond.

Again, you repeat the same point about bringing FF to prominence.
    What do you actually mean by this?

When you answer, bear in mind that FF since the 1930's has dominated Irish politics. They are not blow ins, far from it in fact. So the prominence issue is nonsense.

If you actually want to point fingers at the rise of FF, look no further than SF and the rabble of the Looney Left, who have been decimated in this election.

It appears from the Local elections and the Euro elections that the public has voted to replace the opposition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

My local council area had a SF councillor, by all means they were prominent and active in the community etc. and usually people vote for local reasons rather than political reasons and they came near the bottom. I was very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

They were the largest party on Dublin City Council. Maybe their voters worked out that objecting to everything only gets you so far. They failed to deliver housing.
    did the council have the staff and resources to deliver housing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

not really. they hoovered up the unhappy FF voters the last time. this time the same voters went back to FF (standard Irish voting technique). Quite healthy for SF in fact.

maccored wrote: »
    not really. they hoovered up the unhappy FF voters the last time. this time the same voters went back to FF (standard Irish voting technique). Quite healthy for SF in fact.

UK Labour have just expelled their best spin doctor if you're looking for a job...

This election is an absolute disaster for SF. FF have not made the gains to tie up with what you suggest. The protest vote has evaporated instead.

Do you think people have "felt the recovery" more than is made out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

As predicted by some, we have reached peak SF as a political force, at least this side of a major social or economic event.
    In the short term, SF will be fighting it out to try and stay be the biggest party outside of the big two and trying to keep the SD's, Greens and Labour at bay. Quite a turn as some thought they would be bigger than FF by the next GE...!

Im surprised Labour did so poorly but their brand has been destroyed and it will be a while yet before they can get back. They also have an image problem. Full of backroom old men, good at doing 'deals' with Unions and the like but totally removed from the public. That is where the SD's and Greens have stolen a march on them. The SD's are really Labour without the baggage.

Greens are interesting. Its more of a movement than a party and that is very very irresistible for people not to buy into, especially the young. But they will need to focus on actual practical green issues, like bike lanes, public transport, sensible development, EV's, single use plastic... Stuff like that. They could be what Ireland needs like what the PD's gave us in the 80's and 90's. Some common sense policies from the continent rather than the same ol same ol we have had for decades. E.g. they should be for a sensible high rises in Dublin, sensible water charges...etc.. Also, they need to go easy on the social justice stuff if they want to capture more of the centre ground, as they could be a major force in Irish politics in the coming decades. If they go down the PBP-SOL route of megaphone angry politics then they won't get anywhere fast.

Which brings me to PBP-SOL. Is anyone surprised really? People get tired at being heckled at, and that is all they are good for. Clare Daly saw the writing on the wall years ago and jumped, and she is jumping again. The Paul Murphy, RBP brigade need to put down their megaphone and reevaluate their message and world view, but they won't do that, as its all, FIGHT DA MAN stuff from them. Teenager angst stuff from them.

Food for thought for FF and FG, there is good and bad for both. I would not be surprised if we go to 2021 for an election, as neither of them really want it. After that though, do we really need ANOTHER minority government.

I just can't take Labour seriously with Howlin at the helm. Seeing him criticise the government for things that they went with themselves when in power.

Like that VAT increase for supplements...I saw Howlin on an ad on facebook complaining it'll cost jobs etc. If he was in with FG they'd be at the same thing!

• Advertisement

But they lost seats absolutely everywhere. In fact they had an even worse time outside Dublin. In all fairness, FF/FG/Lab were objecting to planning far more than Sinn Fein, and much of it comes down to the department. The councillors really have very limited powers, it's not up to them to deliver housing. That is Fine Gael and the city managers, council chiefs etc.

Advertisement