Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mary Lou on RTE at the moment. She looks tired and "disappointed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sinn Fein look like they are being wiped out in many council areas, although hard to get a full picture. They lost so many members, councillors and especially canvassers, it put them in real trouble. Think Mary Lou McDonald will be gone with 12 months at this rate.

I agree.

Pearse Doherty will be leader of Sinn Fein within the next 18 months I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sinn Fein look like they are being wiped out in many council areas, although hard to get a full picture. They lost so many members, councillors and especially canvassers, it put them in real trouble. Think Mary Lou McDonald will be gone with 12 months at this rate.

SF gone from topping the poll in Dundrum ward last time round to bottom candidate this time round, based on the tallies. That's a hell of a drop;

https://twitter.com/FrankMulqueen/status/1132255830890426370

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sinn Fein getting their deserved vote after spending the last year talking about a border poll that nobody wants and refusing to take their seats in Westminster to have some sort of influence on the UK brexit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Below aontu AND eirigi is pathetic for SF even in one single ward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Sinn Fein's , criticism of everything and solutions to nothing, finally catching up with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thurles had a SF rep on Tipp coco for years and years. David Doran. He worked hard I must say for the welfare class in the town, put in the hours and the effort. He quit SF last year when he was told that Mary Lou was not going to allow him to run as a TD at the next GE. Women only I believe he was told.
    He’s run this time as an independent and it looks like he’s lost his seat. The girl that ran for SF is not going to get anywhere near enough votes either. So that’s worked out badly for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein getting their deserved vote after spending the last year talking about a border poll that nobody wants and refusing to take their seats in Westminster to have some sort of influence on the UK brexit
    none of this is hardly a shock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭blackwhite

SF gone from topping the poll in Dundrum ward last time round to bottom candidate this time round, based on the tallies. That's a hell of a drop;

Ní Chormaic doesn’t actually live in Dundrum LEA either (despite what the address on her election nomination says). Got the impression that she was going SFA since the last election and it would appear that plenty in the area thought the same thing

blackwhite wrote: »
    Ní Chormaic doesn’t actually live in Dundrum LEA either (despite what the address on her election nomination says). Got the impression that she was going SFA since the last election and it would appear that plenty in the area thought the same thing

I live near enough to the area, and I'd follow DLR Council matters fairly closely, but I swear I haven't heard any mention of her name since she got elected. She seemed late putting up posters too, and only a small number of them.

• Advertisement

Shane Ross linked independents getting hammered - including Kevin Daly that was as the forefront of the stepaside Garda station campaign. Likely 2 of 3 will miss out

A sign of things to come for Ross in the constituency?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

ricero wrote: »
    I agree.

Pearse Doherty will be leader of Sinn Fein within the next 18 months I feel.
    As someone from a solidly Sinn Fein background I agree he is the stand out. Mary Lou should have replaced Adams 5 years ago. At this rate she is old news. They also need to listen to members and voters, they nearly treat it like an army with top down command! Irish people don't want to be dictated to by anyone these days they usually rebel against that. Which is why SF have lost so many members and now council seats.

I live near enough to the area, and I'd follow DLR Council matters fairly closely, but I swear I haven't heard any mention of her name since she got elected. She seemed late putting up posters too, and only a small number of them.

Was going by her house early this week and she was unloading a load from her car. Seemed very late to be getting them up alright.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Thurles had a SF rep on Tipp coco for years and years. David Doran. He worked hard I must say for the welfare class in the town, put in the hours and the effort. He quit SF last year when he was told that Mary Lou was not going to allow him to run as a TD at the next GE. Women only I believe he was told.
    He’s run this time as an independent and it looks like he’s lost his seat. The girl that ran for SF is not going to get anywhere near enough votes either. So that’s worked out badly for them.
    Sinn Fein had a great young councillor in Cavan called Eugene Grennan. Mary Lou McDonald then brought in her silly gender quota and stopped him running for GE instead running an unfancied woman. Grennan quit Sinn Fein and politics altogether, resigned from the council. Real shame as he was one of the only councillors Cavan town had of any party. His replacement on the council has lost his seat today.

Sinn Fein in fact may lose every single councillor in Cavan, where they usually do well. Totally wiped out with members too with really counts for canvassing etc. Mary Lou also using the whip for the Abortion vote lost loads of members and activists. FF/FG gave their people a free vote. Mary Lou didn't. I think Sinn Fein and Mary Lou reaped what they sowed today. She should resign but she will hang on until they take more losses in a general election.

Actually my local SF Cllr - who is gone according to someone at the count centre but no tallies are online so I dunno - also had bog all posters up and weeks later than others.

They were recycled from her 2016 GE run mostly too. No money from HQ?

To top the humiliation they finish below Aontu ( who wouldn't exist only for Mary Lou) and even Eirigi! :pac:

Ironically Mary Lou's sister was one of the founding members of Eirigi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Sinn Fein had a great young councillor in Cavan called Eugene Grennan. Mary Lou McDonald then brought in her silly gender quota and stopped him running for GE instead running an unfancied woman. Grennan quit Sinn Fein and politics altogether, resigned from the council. Real shame as he was one of the only councillors Cavan town had of any party. His replacement on the council has lost his seat today.

Sinn Fein in fact may lose every single councillor in Cavan, where they usually do well. Totally wiped out with members too with really counts for canvassing etc. Mary Lou also using the whip for the Abortion vote lost loads of members and activists. FF/FG gave their people a free vote. Mary Lou didn't. I think Sinn Fein and Mary Lou reaped what they sowed today. She should resign but she will hang on until they take more losses in a general election.

Yeah reading the Anglo celt online the tallies seem to say SF could be wiped out of all Cavan council. Border county in theory should be their stomping ground

Sinn Fein had a great young councillor in Cavan called Eugene Grennan. Mary Lou McDonald then brought in her silly gender quota and stopped him running for GE instead running an unfancied woman.
    Are you referring the Government's statutory gender quota, or does SF have a more rigorous version?

My local SF will be gone on the second count

She got a quota last time, didn't top the poll as 3 got quotas. No aontu or anything against her and indeed the PBP candidate who got a fairly decent vote isn't even there this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

SF have had a bad day, as someone said earlier, self inflicted in many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

L1011 wrote: »
    My local SF will be gone on the second count

She got a quota last time, didn't top the poll as 3 got quotas. No aontu or anything against her and indeed the PBP candidate who got a fairly decent vote isn't even there this time!

That's a pity. I thought she did a decent job for her term. Any idea how the rest of it is looking?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Unfortunately the SF candidate here looks like he'll top the poll. On the plus side, the Green candidate looks like he has a chance of the last seat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Anyword on the 3 money grabbers shown on prime time willing to accept bribes?

That's a pity. I thought she did a decent job for her term. Any idea how the rest of it is looking?

I see on Facebook she's 8th out of 9 based on tallies. 2 Ff, 2 FG & the Labour candidate in the top 5 so far.

FF 1-2, FG, Labour, FG, Green, Murray, SF and the other Independent who I've forgotten existed

If Cronin transfers cleably to Murray it could catapult her back in but I suspect there'll be a scattering across all Maynooth candidates and non transferable.

Actually she'll be eliminated on 1 if the figures are right as she can't catch Murray even with every vote in play

L1011 wrote: »
    FF 1-2, FF, Labour, FG, Green, Murray, SF and the other Independent who I've forgotten existed

If Cronin transfers cleably to Murray it could catapult her back in but I suspect there'll be a scattering across all Maynooth candidates and non transferable.

Actually she'll be eliminated on 1 if the figures are right as she can't catch Murray even with every vote in play

Tally sheet from Ó Cearúil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Blueshoe wrote: »
    joe queenan 11% second after the first tally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sinn Fein's collapse is hard to read for me, is it the fall out of no grizzled hard men at the top? Has it alienated the aging traditionalists while not getting in new votes who this time have gone to the Greens?

Sinn Fein's collapse is hard to read for me, is it the fall out of no grizzled hard men at the top? Has it alienated the aging traditionalists while not getting in new votes who this time have gone to the Greens?

The bullying scandals will have had a lot to do with it, also nobody admitting that their polling figures have actually been quite (comparatively) bad ever since 2014.

The Maynooth candidate didn't get in on a hardman vote for one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Blueshoe wrote: »

Rte on their website are saying the three look like they'll get elected.

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/2019/0525/1051677-prime-time-councillors/

Advertisement