Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2019

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Danzy wrote: »
    That screams out crisis but few will listen.
    Sinn Fein HQ have done a good job destroying themselves in Cavan Monaghan Meath Louth Offaly and many other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    So are we going to do this for nursing too? Or Bin collecters? True gender equality for each role and job in society is an unrealistic pipe dream and is only going to embolden the fringes of both the right & left alike
    I dunno, I'm not in charge. There's a big difference between TDs/Senators/Councillors and nurses or bin collectors in fairness. But if you think it's important, maybe you'd like to start doing something about it yourself, like get a campaign going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Gender quotas are bull****. I don't care if my candidate is male or female. I care that they appear competent enough to get my vote.

Another Sinn Fein twitter mouthpiece Sarah Holland looks like losing her seat. She is on the Ard Comhairle also, total disaster for Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I dunno, I'm not in charge. There's a big difference between TDs/Senators/Councillors and nurses or bin collectors in fairness. But if you think it's important, maybe you'd like to start doing something about it yourself, like get a campaign going.

Unfortunately disagreeing with gender quotas lends to accusations of bigotry.

When it was done for business' in Switzerland you could see many very qualified women holding positions on numerous boards just to make the quota. It didn't actually help bring more women into these boards, just the same few, but instead of being on 1 board, they were now on 5-6 boards.

In terms of politics, because it should be representive does that mean does that mean all parties should have people of African, Asian & Espanic descent and Muslim, Buddhist, Athirst and Christian faith too...it's a slipperly slope into to ridiculous.

If parties are just putting females up for elections because of their gender and not their talent isn't that just a huge backward step for equality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

devlinio wrote: »
    Gender quotas are bull****. I don't care if my candidate is male or female. I care that they appear competent enough to get my vote.

You don’t even care about that, as long as they’re FG they’ll get your vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

bren2001 wrote: »
    They should equate to the first preference votes. You've a number of people standing over each box marking down each ballot. Take several hours for the boxes to be counted and a few more for them to be inputted in a spread sheet. Typically, all the parties work together except SF. They work by themselves.

Do SF really not work with others on the tally work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

What videos are you talking about?

But if you're going to quote from another site, you really should reference that site. Here's the 'Pro' list from the site where you found the 'Con' list that you copied above;

https://www.idea.int/data-tools/data/gender-quotas/quotas

I actually didn't like the ideas of quotas myself, until I looked the evidence showing that the actually work, and they're the only thing that actually works to improve gender balance of public representatives.

The 3 candidates who are current councillors were secretly filmed during a prime time investigation and said they would act in the developers favour in return for cash and or work for their own companies.
    The clips were replayed last week with the candidates being approached for comment since they were running for election. One in particular was a nasty pos.

Looks like they have all been elected again in spite of them being shown up as corrupt parasites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ForestFire

So the green party have about 8.4% of the national vote and conveniently the government will use this to push through carbon taxes on the actual majority (the 91% that did not vote green) . Saying we are ready to accept it.... Eh... No thanks... I'm paying enough taxes, thanks very much.

I mean give us a break. If you want carbon taxes, just do it yourself and stop claiming there is a clear message from the voters.... 8.4%... Really.

Are they going to take all the policy's of any party that has at least 8%?

No I'd doubt it very much... Jeuses... the healy Ray family probably have close to 8% on their own in kerry :-)

Let's listen to them........

By the way I'm all for green policies, but instead of taxing everything, that will have little effect, except raise money, that is not spent on anything green, maybe the message is, to give us grants and incentives to insulate our homes, convert to cleaner energy??

ForestFire wrote: »
    So the green party have about 8.4% of the national vote and conveniently the government will use this to push through carbon taxes on the actual majority (the 91% that did not vote green) . Saying we are ready to accept it.... Eh... No thanks... I'm paying enough taxes, thanks very much.

I mean give us a break. If you want carbon taxes, just do it yourself and stop claiming there is a clear message from the voters.... 8.4%... Really.

Are they going to take all the policy's of any party that has at least 8%?

No I'd doubt it very much... Jeuses... the healy Ray family probably have close to 8% on their own in kerry :-)

Let's listen to them........

By the way I'm all for green policies, but instead of taxing everything, that will have little effect, except raise money, that is not spent on anything green, maybe the message is, to give us grants and incentives to insulate our homes, convert to cleaner energy??

That costs money. The government only want money coming in not out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Aska wrote: »
    Anyword on young Lowry in tipp? Michaels son I assume, saw all the 'team Lowry' posters around the place down there

He’s topping the tally. By a long chalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's a lot of wild crying that green policies are all about tax. Educate yourselves people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The 3 candidates who are current councillors were secretly filmed during a prime time investigation and said they would act in the developers favour in return for cash and or work for their own companies.
    The clips were replayed last week with the candidates being approached for comment since they were running for election. One in particular was a nasty pos.

Looks like they have all been elected again in spite of them being shown up as corrupt parasites
    So there are three corrupt councillors, and yeah, there's probably a few more that haven't been caught yet. But it's a big leap from there to 'they're all corrupt and brown envelopes', which the same as the oul 'all priests are paedos' and 'all Gardai are on the take'. It's just nonsense.

Most politicians are decent folks, doing their best to improve the country according to their values. Councillors pay is pretty crap, so they get next to nothing for the chance of being hounded by their constituences for the house or the planning or the pothole.

But if you don't like the idea of corrupt councillors getting re-elected, there's one thing you can do to reduce the chances of this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

ForestFire wrote: »
    , maybe the message is, to give us grants and incentives to insulate our homes, convert to cleaner energy??

You mean like these ones ??

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/insulation-grants/

McIlvanny the Monaghan councillor from Prime Time probably got re elected but there was only 7 candidates running in a 6 seater I think.

So there are three corrupt councillors, and yeah, there's probably a few more that haven't been caught yet. But it's a big leap from there to 'they're all corrupt and brown envelopes', which the same as the oul 'all priests are paedos' and 'all Gardai are on the take'. It's just nonsense.

Most politicians are decent folks, doing their best to improve the country according to their values. Councillors pay is pretty crap, so they get next to nothing for the chance of being hounded by their constituences for the house or the planning or the pothole.

But if you don't like the idea of corrupt councillors getting re-elected, there's one thing you can do to reduce the chances of this happening.

Who said" they're all corrupt and brown envelopes" ?
    Who are you quoting?

That's why I specifically mentioned the three and only the three. I asked about any news about them. Heard that they all looked like being elected. Gave out that they were re-elected. Didn't mention anyone else.

Outrage bot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone's about to be elected twice to the same council (Meath) which means she'll have to resign one seat immediately and hope her suggested replacement is coopted.

Someone had asked if this had happened before and I don't think it had!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

L1011 wrote: »
    Someone's about to be elected twice to the same council (Meath) which means she'll have to resign one seat immediately and hope her suggested replacement is coopted.

Can you explain the situation mate.

Can you explain the situation mate.

Candidate believes her electoral base is split over two LEAs and runs in both.

She has now won a seat in both.

She needs to select which one to actually take and resign the other. If she was in a party they would nominate someone to take the other; but she's Independent so in theory the whole council decides the replacement. Convention is they do accept the suggestion

Most candidates who run in multiple areas are cranks but it would appear not here

It also looks like the ex-FG Kevin Callan could do the same in both Drogheda LEAs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    So are we going to do this for nursing too? Or Bin collecters? True gender equality for each role and job in society is an unrealistic pipe dream and is only going to embolden the fringes of both the right & left alike

It's on its way to the Supreme Court. Could be struck down yet but our court is weak on these issues, especially when it appeals to the D4 class.

Only chance is Dónal O'Donnell imposes some sense on the Supreme Court and the other judges follow suit. He already corrected an outrageous legal error by the Court of Appeal on standing to bring the case. Whatever about 30%, the 40% which will be in for all elections after 2022 is a ridiculous straight jacket. Smaller parties with say seven men four women running would lose half their funding. It's farcical.

Parties of that scale don't get Electoral Act funding. You need to have got 2% of a national poll

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Candidate believes her electoral base is split over two LEAs and runs in both.

She has now won a seat in both.

She needs to select which one to actually take and resign the other. If she was in a party they would nominate someone to take the other; but she's Independent so in theory the whole council decides the replacement. Convention is they do accept the suggestion

Most candidates who run in multiple areas are cranks but it would appear not here

Right right sorry I'm not familiar with that at all.

Does that not give her an unfair advantage due to being offered a chance of 2 electorates.

Right right sorry I'm not familiar with that at all.

Does that not give her an unfair advantage due to being offered a chance of 2 electorates.

Everyone is free to do it so its not unfair in that way. It's expensive if you actually campaign in both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Parties of that scale don't get Electoral Act funding. You need to have got 2% of a national poll
    Well if you want to make it even more farcical go with 13 men and 8 women. The point is sampling variance alone with relatively small numbers could have parties falling foul of the 40% de facto requirement.

The sentiment might be well-meaning but it's a move of the sort of simplistic minds that would need supervision on a swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Do SF really not work with others on the tally work?

No, not true.

How are the smaller parties doing? eg Soc Dems, Renua, Aontu, Solidarity, PBP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I think she said she might take legal action to be able to take both seats.

SocDems - some gains. Gannon's old seat is gone but he should be fine in his new one

The rest are flat or down really. S/PBP even possibly losing seats in DL which is the only Dail seat they are expected to retain

• Advertisement

I think she said she might take legal action to be able to take both seats.

It'll absolutely and utterly fail

Does she want the two votes or the two salaries or what?

Advertisement