Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of purchasing near a chipper

Options
  • 04-05-2019 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

We've just found a semi-d which is ideal in every way... or so we thought after a couple of daytime viewings (incl. garden). Walking past it tonight I noticed a definite smell from the chipper which is a couple of doors (approx 50m) away. Walked past the house another couple of times, and didn't get the smell, but twas definitely there the first time.

Noticed that chipper's extractor fan is pointed in the general direction of our prospective house.

Any idea how much something like this would have the potential to spoil enjoyment of living in such a property?

Many thanks
    P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If it's near a chipper the smell wouldn't be my only concern. Is there a pub/s nearby aswell that would probably cause an issue with people spilling out to the chipper after the pub closes on Friday/Sat night and potentially causing trouble litter would be another concern. I used to live near a chipper and we had this problem although it was more just a nuisance than anything else altough it wasn't such an issue for me as I was a good few doors down for it so I'd imagine it would be worse closer the chipper where there'd be more hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭pj9999

Stephen15 wrote: »
    If it's near a chipper the smell wouldn't be my only concern. Is there a pub/s nearby aswell that would probably cause an issue with people spilling out to the chipper after the pub closes on Friday/Sat night and potentially causing trouble litter would be another concern. I used to live near a chipper and we had this problem although it was more just a nuisance than anything else altough it wasn't such an issue for me as I was a good few doors down for it so I'd imagine it would be worse closer the chipper where there'd be more hanging around.

Fair points - yes there's a pub close by, so we'll have to consider that. On the smell though... would you say it was something that you found a nuisance?

Thanks
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

pj9999 wrote: »
    Fair points - yes there's a pub close by, so we'll have to consider that. On the smell though... would you say it was something that you found a nuisance?

Thanks
    P

I was at the other end of the same street as the chipper to be effected by it really so can't comment on that issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Thanks
    P

I worked right next door to a chipper for a long while. Couldn't open the windows in summer because of the smell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Had a place near a pub (and chipper).

Chipper was least of my worries as beer garden backed onto apartment block (wasn't there when we bought).

The noise was horrendous both while the pub was open (smokers etc) and after closing. Thursday - Sunday nights obviously the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I live close to pub, off licence & chipper - it's ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Drive/walk by late at night on a weekend night and see how busy/noisy it is. I'd say you'd get used to the smell, but that kind of noise could drive you soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

Thanks
    P

The apartment block we currently live in has a restaurant and the fryer exhaust points towards our apartment. We can only open the windows for a couple of hours in the morning before they open due to the smell. Can’t even leave the window vents open.

Another thing we’ve noticed is that there’s a layer of grease on the windows/walls/ground where the exhaust air passes.

If it was me buying, the chipper would definitely put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I live close to pub, off licence & chipper - it's ideal.

Living close is one thing.
    Living directly into the 'smell zone' is another.
    I was in a similar position. Lovely house, but when viewing it noticed the smell of cooking oil in the front. Can't imagine opening windows or enjoying time out through back with it.
    Lots of teenagers tend to gather around them in late evenings too, which would be a factor for noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

We've just found a semi-d which is ideal in every way... or so we thought after a couple of daytime viewings (incl. garden). Walking past it tonight I noticed a definite smell from the chipper which is a couple of doors (approx 50m) away. Walked past the house another couple of times, and didn't get the smell, but twas definitely there the first time.

Noticed that chipper's extractor fan is pointed in the general direction of our prospective house.

Any idea how much something like this would have the potential to spoil enjoyment of living in such a property?

Many thanks
    P

You could talk to the chip shop owner about your stumping up to have a duct raise the outlet to a high level where the wind will whip the smell away above your head. Maybe the neighbours and the chipper owner would contribute.

In the scheme of buying a house, the cost wouldn't be immense.

But if stuck with it (talk to neighbours about the frequency) then no way. The smell of grease extract will make you physically sick. No sitting out in your garden, smell blowing in your vents. Ugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I lived close enough to a chipper once. Not within the smell zone.

Had to walk past it on the way home from pints tho!!!

Awe ladz, would ye stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Used to live within 50 meters of a chipper/Chinese/shops combo. Every week I filled a black bag from people chucking their trash into the garden. The first 10 houses all had this problem. Drunk people and food waste are annoying as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Used to live within 50 meters of a chipper/Chinese/shops combo. Every week I filled a black bag from people chucking their trash into the garden. The first 10 houses all had this problem. Drunk people and food waste are annoying as hell.

Hope you handed the trash back to the shops....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Chippers attract drunks like flies to sh|t.

Are there bins next & nearby the chippers? If not, your garden becomes a dumping ground.

If you ever have kids, they'll smell the chipper all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Wind changes direction too so it may be more of a problem than the OP realises if it happened the wind direction was different to the usual on the days they visited

Advertisement