Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 4 "The Last of the Stark" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

duffman13 wrote: »
    Varys and then even Tyrion considering the possibility of treason, shoe horned in. The only indication Varys had doubts was him giving her a strange look at dinner and is no ready to commit treason.
    Varys turning on Dany is actually 100% what his character would do. He has always said he serves the realm and I expected last week that this would become an issue for him. Varys remembers the mad King. He knows what the Targaryen's are and how dangerous they can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

It was an ok episode. More character development and closing off story lines. However it is starting to suffer from the insane decision to just have 6 episodes. They now have to accelerate through the politics of the thing and hence we have Varys and others suddenly starting to plot treason. With just two episodes left I fear they are just going to continue to race through plot development and we'll have to read the books (if GRRM lives long enough to finish writing them) to get a proper understanding of the events and the thoughts of the characters.

In terms of what happens then, we have Arya disappearing again into the wilderness so it would seem that potentially she will emerge to protect Jon from Danys and kill her. Jaime will kill Danys and his unborn child to redeem himself from everything that has happened. Jaime and Tyrian are now on Bronn's hit list.

As for Bran, we don't know what he told Sansa and Arya, we just assume we know. I don't think it was just what we thought it was. That should've been a significant event, Arya and Sansa finding out that information as well as their reactions but we did not get to see it. Arya then wandered off with the hound. There is definitely more to that then we might think.
    My read on it is that Arya is off to kill Cersei (still has that list to finish) and the Hound is after the Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

DeepBlue wrote: »
    dJTwzMq.png

After 8 seasons how has Tyrion not learned that he's so, so wrong about this? :eek: :pac:

He for some reason thinks that her Children will always redeem her....even though she's never once done anything positive with that love. If anything it has just made her even more twisted.

I've no idea what they're trying to do with Tyrion anymore. It feels like their angle is that family guilt (over Tywin, Myrcella, even Sansa) has destroyed him. He's no longer capable of seeing things as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

DeepBlue wrote: »
    dJTwzMq.png

After 8 seasons how has Tyrion not learned that he's so, so wrong about this? :eek: :pac:

I burst out laughing at this.

She murdered a bunch of people by blowing up the Sept, locked Sandsnake mom away with her daughters dead body and gave the head nun that shamed her to Zombie Mountain to do "whatever" with her and she's willing to let the innocent people of KL get murdered by Dany to try to muddy the waters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I have one question for people defending this show. Do you think it is still the same quality as it was in the earlier seasons? If you do fair enough but I am genuinely curious.

Nothing anyone can say will excuse Euron's ridiculous stealth fleet. Nothing. And who needed to see Sansa and Arya get the news about Jon? Well me for one. I want to see what they say to Jon. Do they say he needs to declare it? Do they say they can't keep that to themselves? Do they say that he is still a brother to them regardless? So many possible reactions that would tell us so much about where we are with these characters but nah who cares. We don't need to see any of this.

Ned Stark kept Jons secret for 18-ish years, including from Jon himself because he was a trustworthy, honourable man.

Sansa couldn't keep it for 5 minutes despite allegedly being totes really smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

It was a rushed episode, but I've just come to the conclusion that this is just TV, that they have a timeline and budget. Like GRRM has said he has 1,800 pages of manuscript written for just TWoW alone so the books should flesh out the character arcs more.

I think the episode is setting up Dany's third betrayal. The one for love. I think the Benioff and Weiss have done a reasonable job in making it hard to predict the impending traitor.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Ned Stark kept Jons secret for 18-ish years, including from Jon himself because he was a trustworthy, honourable man.

Sansa couldn't keep it for 5 minutes despite allegedly being totes really smart.
    Telling Tyrion was smart. Jon was an idiot if he thought that would stay quiet. He's a good general and people would follow him into battle but he's not suited to sit on the throne. He has the same problem Ned had - he's too honourable and thinks other people are too. He simply does not have the cunning to play the game. There are only two people smart enough to rule who also truly care about the subjects - Tyrion and Sansa. Cersei and Dany are terrible rulers - both are power mad and willing to sacrifice the little people to get and keep that power. Sansa told Tyrion because she knows what type of person Dany is and wants to stop her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    @leggo Dany losing her dragon was badly done. Conveniently Jon had a conversation with Tormund explaining why he wouldn't be riding the dragon - it needed to recover strength from the battle. What a crock of sh!te. Drogon was stabbed multiple times yet he's magically better. It was simply a way to kill one of the dragons without losing Jon, to even up the odds with Cersei.

Dany not seeing the fleet is a huge issue. I'm sick and tired of her getting her dragons hurt because she is too stupid to fly high and scout ahead. She lost Viserion to the NK. Fair enough it can happen once but we saw twice in the battle last week she put Drogon in danger by being two low. Having Dany make the same mistake over and over is lazy writing and just makes her look stupid.

Like I don’t disagree with much of your assessment, but I’d get mad at Dany rather than at the show itself. Ned and Robb were stupid at times too, I didn’t get mad at GRRM or Benioff & Weiss. I’ve no problem with the scorpions being established as an equaliser (they haven’t killed a dragon yet, if they did so in the final battle it’d come across as weak), no problem with Jon not being there given they established why they were travelling separately and it fit with the overall vision, and I’m totally fine with accepting the ambush. One criticism of it already showed that the lad giving out just didn’t understand how it happened. You have to work to criticise it (even you’re saying “Dany should’ve flown ahead and scouted”, which didn’t particularly occur to or bother me until you said it. And even then I’m like “The Queen probably shouldn’t scout on her own, that seems dumb”) and I’m not interested in working to criticise stuff I like, coming up with alternate plans for how the operation could’ve been successful then slating the writers for not doing the thing I imagined should’ve been done.

I mean at this stage it just seems like a determination to conclude the show is bad, criticising a character flaw as “lazy writing” is lazy criticism to me. Characters are supposed to be flawed, that’s what creates tension and conflict, it’s scriptwriting 101. Characters who aren’t are two-dimensional and boring. If you’d have come at it from a standpoint where it seemed like you were in any way interested in acknowledging the show’s positives too, I’d be more receptive. But you’re falling into the lazy “It lost its way when it went off the books” style of criticism (that started in S5, oddly when it was still following the books) where you’ve clearly made up your mind before the show begins and are looking to view everything through that lens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

leggo wrote: »
    But you’re falling into the lazy “It lost its way when it went off the books” style of criticism (that started in S5, oddly when it was still following the books) where you’ve clearly made up your mind before the show begins and are looking to view everything through that lens.

Leggo, meet Leggo.

The issue seems to be that people are desperate to find an issue tbh. What is the main thing the majority of people here are criticising? Plot armour, not enough people died, convenient timing for main characters to be saved etc.

And what has changed aside from GoT being more popular? People like to play the "It got bad when they ran out of source material argument"...but BoB and Hardhome weren't in the books and people loved them. It's just the band people liked 'before they were cool' tbh. Now it's the biggest show in the world, you've got the few weirdos who are like "Oh this thing that's the same as it was when I loved it is bad now because the important thing is that I have a different view to the majority."

Not even going to get into plot holes or "it would have been better if ..." My gf and I are emotionally checked out.

Like I don’t disagree with much of your assessment, but I’d get mad at Dany rather than at the show itself. Ned and Robb were stupid at times too, I didn’t get mad at GRRM or Benioff & Weiss. I’ve no problem with the scorpions being established as an equaliser (they haven’t killed a dragon yet, if they did so in the final battle it’d come across as weak), no problem with Jon not being there given they established why they were travelling separately and it fit with the overall vision, and I’m totally fine with accepting the ambush. One criticism of it already showed that the lad giving out just didn’t understand how it happened. You have to work to criticise it (even you’re saying “Dany should’ve flown ahead and scouted”, which didn’t particularly occur to or bother me until you said it. And even then I’m like “The Queen probably shouldn’t scout on her own, that seems dumb”) and I’m not interested in working to criticise stuff I like, coming up with alternate plans for how the operation could’ve been successful then slating the writers for not doing the thing I imagined should’ve been done.

I mean at this stage it just seems like a determination to conclude the show is bad, criticising a character flaw as “lazy writing” is lazy criticism to me. Characters are supposed to be flawed, that’s what creates tension and conflict, it’s scriptwriting 101. Characters who aren’t are two-dimensional and boring. If you’d have come at it from a standpoint where it seemed like you were in any way interested in acknowledging the show’s positives too, I’d be more receptive. But you’re falling into the lazy “It lost its way when it went off the books” style of criticism (that started in S5, oddly when it was still following the books) where you’ve clearly made up your mind before the show begins and are looking to view everything through that lens.
    Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. I have been one of the shows biggest supporters and even up to last week was staunchly supporting the show and the direction they took it. It's you who has fallen into a lazy way of criticism, telling people they're wrong and only looking to find fault.

There was huge problems in this episode and Dany getting ambushed by Euron was one. In the after show discussion, one of the guys said that Dany forgot about the Iron fleet. What a stupid thing to come out and say. Someone on the open seas forgets all about their highly skilled enemy? They were taking the p!ss saying that so don't tell me the show is still fabulous and the writers above criticism. "She forgot about her biggest threat" :rolleyes: What a fcuking joke :rolleyes: But I'm sure you'll find a way to defend such nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. I have been one of the shows biggest supporters and even up to last week was staunchly supporting the show and the direction they took it. It's you who has fallen into a lazy way of criticism, telling people they're wrong and only looking to find fault.

There was huge problems in this episode and Dany getting ambushed by Euron was one. In the after show discussion, one of the guys said that Dany forgot about the Iron fleet. What a stupid thing to come out and say. Someone on the open seas forgets all about their highly skilled enemy? They were taking the p!ss saying that so don't tell me the show is still fabulous and the writers above criticism. "She forgot about her biggest threat" :rolleyes: What a fcuking joke :rolleyes: But I'm sure you'll find a way to defend such nonsense.

Stop just wanting it to be bad!

It's clear that certain people in this thread have made up their minds about the show being above all criticism and any criticism is seen as contrary and to be edgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

If Benioff and Weiss really wanted to go for the unexpected then they should have done the absolute expected and fired every arrow and bolt at Dany's paltry force and Drogon.

It's what any ruthless leader would have done given that scenario.

Like the tactics used in last week's episodes, there are somethings being done in this show that make no sense at all.

Falthyron wrote: »
    If Benioff and Weiss really wanted to go for the unexpected then they should have done the absolute expected and fired every arrow and bolt at Dany's paltry force and Drogon.

It's what any ruthless leader would have done given that scenario.

Like the tactics used in last week's episodes, there are somethings being done in this show that make no sense at all.

Nah, man. Cersei would never do something like that, she's a purely honurable fighter.

I mean, it's not like she had 10 of the superweapons she used to kill another dragon pointing at Danys only remaining dragon as it sat motionless on the ground.

And she surely couldn't have just had a couple of hundred horsemen come out of the front gate of KL and mow down Dany and her 50-odd unsullied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

In terms of what happens then, we have Arya disappearing again into the wilderness so it would seem that potentially she will emerge to protect Jon from Danys and kill her. Jaime will kill Cersei and his unborn child to redeem himself from everything that has happened. Jaime and Tyrian are now on Bronn's hit list.

Bronn has hedged his bets, the only way he loses is if all 3 die.
    One survives and he's getting one castle/.

Nah, man. Cersei would never do something like that, she's a purely honurable fighter.

I mean, it's not like she had 10 of the superweapons she used to kill another dragon pointing at Danys only remaining dragon as it sat motionless on the ground.

And she surely couldn't have just had a couple of hundred horsemen come out of the front gate of KL and mow down Dany and her 50-odd unsullied.

True. Sure, she has paid good money for Bronn to kill him. She would much rather ask one man with a crossbow to kill her little brother and pay him handsomely than ask one soldier beside her to do it for free. What was I thinking?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As a fan of Tyrion in the early series and in the books, it really annoys me what they've done to him. They've turned him from a clever, astute and politically savvy man into a fool. Tyrion almost fell into the same trap he did in the last season when he tried to reason with Cersei by appealing to her love for her kids while trying to spare the people of Kings Landing. Cersei does not care about the common people and never has. She's also murderous, manipulative and treacherous. Why would Tyrion think that he could reason with her? "You're not a monster"? She's probably the biggest monster in the whole series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Didn't realise balista type siege weapons could have machine gun rates of fire?! I mean I know its a fantasy show but come on they could at least try to make it realistic, those things would need a serious reload time to be that poweful.

Cant help but feel this is all just to try and make Cersei and her tiny army a worse threat than literal death in the white walkers and zombies etc.

Really annoying episodes in general.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    As a fan of Tyrion in the early series and in the books, it really annoys me what they've done to him. They've turned him from a clever, astute and politically savvy man into a fool. Tyrion almost fell into the same trap he did in the last season when he tried to reason with Cersei by appealing to her love for her kids while trying to spare the people of Kings Landing. Cersei does not care about the common people and never has. She's also murderous, manipulative and treacherous. Why would Tyrion think that he could reason with her? "You're not a monster"? She's probably the biggest monster in the whole series.
    It's about as believable as the Hound riding to KL to have a reconciliation with the Mountain. Tyrion was always the anti-thesis of Jamie. Someone who couldn't fight but used his smarts to get out of many situations. He out witted everyone he came up against and was brilliant as the Hand in KL and he enjoyed it. Having him try to plead with Cersei again was beyond lame. It served no purpose other than as a plot device to let Euron know the kid isn't his.

Falthyron wrote: »
    True. Sure, she has paid good money for Bronn to kill him. She would much rather ask one man with a crossbow to kill her little brother and pay him handsomely than ask one soldier beside her to do it for free. What was I thinking?!

Yeah, the entire Bronn thing is absolutely ridiculous.

Him walking right into Winterfell unhindered and sort of just wandering into the room that two of Danys most valuable allies are in was just silly.

Even sillier was him being bought off so easily. He saw nothing new to suggest that Dany was going to win the upcoming war and, in fact, would probably have noticed that her military might was considerably diminished.

Mokuba wrote: »
    Stop just wanting it to be bad!

It's clear that certain people in this thread have made up their minds about the show being above all criticism and any criticism is seen as contrary and to be edgy.

I criticise it all the time. Feel free to go back over my posts. In the past week alone on here, I slated last series’ episodes 5&6 based around the capture the wight plan, hated them.

Last week: hated Lyanna killing the giant.

This week: hated Jon just abandoning Ghost for no reason, hated when they spelled out the Hero’s Journey in Tyrion and Varys’ conversation. I slept out the episode and, when I watched it this morning, was okay that this was the episode I slept out.

But I can hate these moments/episodes then step back and view episodes/seasons/the show as a whole as a net positive. I’m also not arrogant enough to assume that just because I had issues with aspects that it’s bad or that everyone else should hate it. I have biases, I have my own specific personal taste, some things aren’t for me. I can look at the one part of Endgame that I hated (no spoilers but ‘the girls’ for anyone who’s seen it) and admit it’s not for me and may have worked for others. I try to be fair and take my word seriously.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think Tyrion will have a moment of clarity in the next episode.

The way the season is panning out I now believe that the best thing that can happen to GOT would be if Cersei wins. At this point if she does lose then there isn't a real successor that any of the fans will be happy with.

John - too naive, like Ned, to rule. Doesn't want it but might take it to save everyone from Dany.
    Dany - too likely to turn out like her dad
    Sansa - a good choice but unlikely to provide the close-out that fans will want
    Tyrion - will never be accepted by the people to really be taken seriously as king.

If they pull off the biggest twist and let Cersai win then at least they will have shown up the other to be the idiots they are. Heck, even Euron would be a better winner than John or Dany at this stage. Maybe Not :)

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I think Tyrion will have a moment of clarity in the next episode.

The way the season is panning out I now believe that the best thing that can happen to GOT would be if Cersei wins. At this point if she does lose then there isn't a real successor that any of the fans will be happy with.

John - too naive, like Ned, to rule. Doesn't want it but might take it to save everyone from Dany.
    Dany - too likely to turn out like her dad
    Sansa - a good choice but unlikely to provide the close-out that fans will want
    Tyrion - will never be accepted by the people to really be taken seriously as king.

If they pull off the biggest twist and let Cersai win then at least they will have shown up the other to be the idiots they are. Heck, even Euron would be a better winner than John or Dany at this stage. Maybe Not :)

Dany has spoken about 'Breaking the Wheel' and I can't be the only one who interpreted this as removing monarchy and replacing it with some sort of democracy/republic or even a council. I think this is the only way forward for Westeros and it can deliver a bittersweet ending - everyone dies, but Westeros will move on without an iron throne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No chance is she looking at democracy all she keeps saying is no one will keep her from her throne. Medievalist society is unsuitable for democracy the people are uneducated and seek guidance from above their station oligarchy works to the extent of keeping control to a small council, democracy opens the gates to climbing the ladder next thing a butcher is king and we all know how that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

I personally enjoyed the episode. Am I p!ssed we didn’t get to see the immediate aftermath of Arya killing the NK and the fact he’s just gone and nothing more was said about it? I sure am but I’m not letting it take away from the fact that these are the last few episodes and the last few times we’re going to see the characters we’ve been watching for the past eight years.

Squeeled like a giddy school girl when Jamie and Brienne hooked up, Jamie is harbouring some serious guilt over everything he done for Cersai and I reckon he sees Brienne and how honorable she is and that helped him make the decision to go after Cersai. I don’t think he’s turning back to bad Jamie.

Also enjoyed Tormunds comedic relief, it was needed in an episode where everything else had gone so serious.

Surprised Gendry said nothing to Arya not wanting to be a lady, he always knew that about her and loved her anyway so a bit shocked he didn’t say that?

In the godswood when the Starks were talking, I loved how Sansa called Jon a Stark. She has completely changed from S1 and even the talk she had with the hound was a touching moment.

Emilia Clarke is a brilliant actor too, Rhegal had to die. You can see it in her face each time she loses someone close to her, leaving her with nobody around her she can trust. I can imagine she’ll get wind of Tyrion and Varys’ treason and just completely lose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Not even a pat on the head for poor Ghost.

Who the **** warned you that there was a wight in LC Mormont’s room? GHOST
    Who found the dragon glass at the Fist? GHOST
    Who stood vigil at your dead body?GHOST
    The symbol of house Stark and u send him off with a wildling???

Don't like Jon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think everyone missed the worst thing. They moved Kings Landing on the map. Watch the credits again. City fecking moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Folks the reason tyrion talked to cersei in the manner he did was to avoid the impending carnage and slaughter of innocents.

Baffling that went over people's head considering the conversation tyrion and varys had earlier in the episode.

• Advertisement

TheSkunk wrote: »

Emilia Clarke is a brilliant actor too

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

LOL :D

For me she's really grown into the role of Dany. I did think she was fantastic in this episode. The actors and the character dynamics are what's keeping me holding on until the end as I've resigned myself to the ending of this story pissing me off.

But yes beyond GoT, she hasn't been great. Woefully miscast as Sarah Connor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

That was a really good episode in my opinion. Good politics and the old school GOT tension. Growing frustrated reading so many posts picking holes in every episode. They had so much to pack into two short seasons, and it is extremely rare for a show of this popularity and scale to go to 9 seasons. Overall in seasons 1-8 they've done an incredible job.

A few things I think I've picked up. I sadly believe Jon is going to die. The goodbyes in Winterfell to Sam and Thormund seemed a bit too obvious for me, along with the naming of the baby as Jon. I hope I am wrong but I can see in the last episode during Jon's funeral a switch to Ghost howling in the North beyond the wall as a fitting way to go.

Dany is brown bread too in my opinion. Show is going in that direction with all the politics in that episode. With me expecting Jon to die now I just don't see how they could line her up with anyone else at this stage in Westeros with her as queen.

Don't be fooled by the show. Jaime is going to kill Cersei, not to join her, but if he isn't I will be astounded as that just makes his repdemtion a total waste! I think he'll be pushed over the edge by Cersei killing Tyrion or maybe threating to blow up the city, thinking the latter as I am changing my mind on Tyrion's survival chances as the episodes go on. He's becoming relevant again after a few seasons of just doing Dany's will.

Clegane bowl is on, and maybe Ayra will save the hound near death by knocking the Mountain off her list. Either way, it's going to be pretty epic and the nerd in my cant wait. :D

As for the throne, what about Gendry? Now legitimized and the rightful heir to Robert. "You have a daughter, I have a son" etc etc. Seems a little more plausible after that episode doesn't it?(it was what Ned wanted too) Hard to believe him being named Lord of Storm's End was just to propose to Ayra, or maybe she just goes for that option in the end.

Jon: "I need to tell you something.........Ok bran you say it"

/cut to the next scene

I got the Jon dying vibes myself, then again they faked us all out with Greyworm so who knows if they’re trying to get us thinking that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I got the Jon dying vibes myself, then again they faked us all out with Greyworm so who knows if they’re trying to get us thinking that?

Yeah true, but it felt a bit different.

He didn't say goodbye to Sansa though so maybe there is hope. The Ghost thing just has me confused. Why keep him in the series until the end if it isn't for some sort of purpose...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Jesus. I'm not sure what's more stupid. The characters that the writers are turning into idiots, or the expectations they have from us as an audience.

I'm not even sure I'm going to bother watching the last two episodes. This is beyond farcical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZCICwJ0E4

This scene took place outside of Kings Landing.

Last nights final scene apparently had Kings Landing teleported to where Mereen used to be.

Kunkka wrote: »
    Yeah true, but it felt a bit different.

He didn't say goodbye to Sansa though so maybe there is hope. The Ghost thing just has me confused. Why keep him in the series until the end if it isn't for some sort of purpose...?

I hated it tbh. Now, having said that, Ghost’s little whimper as he watched Jon leave was actually the first moment ever in GoT that made me cry, but I’m also just a sucker for dogs. I think the logic would be they’re giving Ghost a farewell and letting us know he lives happily ever after when we don’t see him again, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZCICwJ0E4

This scene took place outside of Kings Landing.

Last nights final scene apparently had Kings Landing teleported to where Mereen used to be.

I agree, it was like Dany rocking up to Meereen to take it over rather than Kings Landing. All we were missing was a pissing Daario Naharis. I remember at the conclusion of Season 7, winter had reached Kings Landing but now a few episodes later...we're back to sand and sun.

Also, Varys talking about 'serving the realm' once again and his hopes for the common people. That's welcome, but - It would be nice to actually see the 'common people' or what exactly our heroes are fighting for. It feels like ever since Cersei's walk of shame, normal Westerosi inhabitants don't really exist. The show is now our main characters and battle extras, and the world of Westeros has taken a major back seat in these past 2 seasons.

As Cersei stood on the wall of Kings Landing, you didn't actually get the feeling that there was much life or activity in that huge city behind her. Unlike in earlier seasons where Kings Landing genuinely felt like a real city populated with a million people.

• Advertisement

I agree, it was like Dany rocking up to Meereen to take it over rather than Kings Landing. All we were missing was a pissing Daario Naharis. I remember at the conclusion of Season 7, winter had reached Kings Landing but now a few episodes later...we're back to sand and sun.

Also, Varys talking about 'serving the realm' once again and his hopes for the common people. That's welcome, but - It would be nice to actually see the 'common people' or what exactly our heroes are fighting for. It feels like ever since Cersei's walk of shame, normal Westerosi inhabitants don't really exist. The show is now our main characters and battle extras, and the world of Westeros has taken a major back seat in these past 2 seasons.

As Cersei stood on the wall of Kings Landing, you didn't actually get the feeling that there was much life or activity in that huge city behind her. Unlike in earlier seasons where Kings Landing genuinely felt like a real city populated with a million people.

Od12QDH.jpg

This was a shot of Kings Landing from one of the earlier seasons.

It's a desert now because of reasons.

There were those last season who make light of the magical teleporting ability and lack of actual time passing now. It's beyond silly at this point.

Cersei is pregnant mid-late last season. Since then:

- They've sailed up to the wall from King's Landing.
    - Gone north of the wall, to capture an undead.
    - The Wall is destroyed and the Night King marches his (very slow) army south toward Winterfell.
    - Captured an undead. Sailed it back to King's Landing.
    - The Council of ~~Elrond~~ King's Landing happens.
    - The armies march north to Winterfell.
    - The Battle of Winterfell.
    - They sail back to King's Landing and here we all are. They even say it'll take weeks for the army to arrive.

Cersei doesn't even have a mild bump. In previous seasons, all the above would have taken years. Now, it's apparently maybe a week or two?

Still going to defend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Didn't realise balista type siege weapons could have machine gun rates of fire?! I mean I know its a fantasy show but come on they could at least try to make it realistic, those things would need a serious reload time to be that poweful.

Cant help but feel this is all just to try and make Cersei and her tiny army a worse threat than literal death in the white walkers and zombies etc.

Really annoying episodes in general.
    I was annoyed how quick Brown reloaded the crossbow.

I was annoyed how quick Brown reloaded the crossbow.

That whole scene was just idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That was absolute tripe.

I'm hardly going to stop 2 episodes before the end of a a 7 season show, but I certainly wont miss it when it's gone.

It'll be interesting to see what the legacy of this show will be. I suspect very little of the last couple of seasons will live long in memory. It'll still be referencing back to Bean, Addy and Dance, the Red Wedding and the Battle of castle black, but probably nothing since.

That whole scene was just idiotic.

You mean how he just waltzed into that room with a crossbow and no one else in Winterfell blinked an eye?

It'd be something if we knew Bronn visited Winterfell before and was familiar with the layout of the place, but the fact that he just managed to walk into the one room Tyrion and Jaime were in is typical of the show at this stage.

You mean how he just waltzed into that room with a crossbow and no one else in Winterfell blinked an eye?

It'd be something if we knew Bronn visited Winterfell before and was familiar with the layout of the place, but the fact that he just managed to walk into the one room Tyrion and Jaime were in is typical of the show at this stage.

It's literally just teleporting people around the map to have "moments" of pure fan service for people who still somehow think that this show hasn't turned into absolute Marvel-esque ****e.

I don't care who wins now because the characters/scenes are being written to be whatever the fans on social media want.

Not just that, but as you say, that's idiotic.

The dialogue was off-point. The characters were decided out of character and acted like they didn't actually like each other at all. These are characters with serious history together. I don't care how much of a merc you think Bronn is, and he is, that scene was badly put together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

Maybe they should have done a 5 minute montage of Bronn asking for directions to the two boys and occasionally narrowly missing them, and just when it looked like he was never going to find them he suddenly smiles and goes directly to where they are. That Bryan McFadden song with Delta could've been the music.

Advertisement