Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 4 "The Last of the S" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The CGI for them cost too much. That's it.

Always thought the CGI direwolves were an unnecessary expense. Large huskies or trained wolves for film would cost less and look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dexter.

Haha Dexter is on a whole other planet for spectacular fails.

bigslice wrote: »
    Was everyone happy with the lighting on this one though?

People are strange.

I thought Kings landing looked too bright. It looked really weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

derfderf wrote: »
    Did Euron not wonder how Tyrion knew about the baby?
    Good episode i thought, much better than last week.

My thoughts also. I expected a cut to Euron's face in that scene, showing his confusion (and adding potential for another layer of scheming).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

titan18 wrote: »
    They did. Benioff was cowriter on X-Men Origins Wolverine. There's a terrible Deadpool in that.

Ah ok. I was thinking of the two recent Deadpool movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I’m now thinking Rhaegal isn’t dead.

The scene where Cersei asked Euron if he was sure about the dragon seemed a little out of place for me if we were to naturally assume the dragon was, in fact, definitely dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

I thought Kings landing looked too bright. It looked really weird.

Yeah crazy weird, you could see what was going on :confused: Its like... "Hello! i have an imagination over here" right? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I thought the episode was good. Too many 'cut away at crucial moment' but I'm used to that now. The happy celebrations at the start went on for too long though, and all that wood for the pyres would have come in handy for the battle last week. Euron is a bit too cartoon-villain for me.

But good scenes with Danaerys and Jon, good scenes with Tyrion and Varys. Euron discovering (maybe) that the baby isn't his.

I do like the idea that with 2 episodes to go, there are still a number of different possible alliances/switches/schemes that could pan out. With the Night King, it was basically everybody on the same side against him, and you know the living will win, so it wasn't a case of 'what will happen' as it is a case of 'how will it happen'. Now, there are more possibilities, more possible schemes and intrigue.

Only 2 episodes left though...not enough time for the schemes/intrigue to be played out fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

RickBlaine wrote: »
    Ah ok. I was thinking of the two recent Deadpool movies.

AKA: The Good Ones.

This guy literally made a character called "The Merc With A Mouth" physically have no mouth.

A hack of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can anyone explain why this season was shortened to 6 episodes?

Surely given the popularity, the budget could have been there to extend it to 8 or 10 episodes.

I'm enjoying it but think there is too much happening which is not shown onscreen. Various characters have disappeared for too long and we're left with what feels like watching the extended highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

At least Dany walked away there. They're making out like she's some kind of hothead. When Jon was faced with almost exactly the same situation in the Battle of the Bastards he charged right at the enemy absolutely entirely by himself, the mad bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

gogo wrote: »
    Joe.ie had a good theory about the dire wolfs.. they all have the same fate as their owners.. Rickon’s died been chased. Aryas was released and has gone her own way same as Arya. Rob’s was caged and killed. Suggests there may be more to Jon’s story up North. Though it was a good theory..
    gogo wrote: »
    I get that, GOT have confirmed that, but still liked the theory .. correct up until now, they have all had the same fate.
    They didn't though. Lady and Summer died ages ago but Sansa and Bran are still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Surely given the popularity, the budget could have been there to extend it to 8 or 10 episodes.

I'm enjoying it but think there is too much happening which is not shown onscreen. Various characters have disappeared for too long and we're left with what feels like watching the extended highlights.

There's going to be cheapo spin-offs/prequels with no-name actors that will get most of the main series viewers off the back of the main series.

Keep the pricey one short and have 12 episodes of the bargain basement replacement instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so danerys wants to break the wheel but her plan was always to gain the throne first.... (contradictory but that was her plan) its still her plan to break the wheel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I'm also wondering how long it's going to take for the penny to drop for Euron when Tyrion is referencing Cersei's pregnancy. Tyrion hasn't seen her since before Euron and her had sex...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

E: A homing scorpion bolt that Sansa fired all the way from Winterfell that destroys his entire fleet in one hit.

She does have good aim...

qmOH7Zi.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Enjoyed that episode quite a bit. Good to see that 'type' of episode after a battle though a battle is a coming again.

My only big issue was Brienne's total character change in crying for Jamie leaving. Sure they got together and all that but she's hardly going to crumble that quickly into a blubbering mess.

Otherwise nicely paced. Had a feeling one of the dragons was going to get pinged out of the sky when they looked happy flying around but had no idea it would come from Eurons fleet.

Enjoying seeing Dany get emotionally incensed, really going to kick off now. Sad that Missandrei was offed as war bait but she has been a bit in the background lately so hardly surprising. Thought Tyrion was toast too.

Interesting final near three hours til the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Mousewar wrote: »
    I'm also wondering how long it's going to take for the penny to drop for Euron when Tyrion is referencing Cersei's pregnancy. Tyrion hasn't seen her since before Euron and her had sex...

How did Tyrion know though?

Asus X540L wrote: »
    How did Tyrion know though?

That she was preggers? He was in her chamber at the end of the last series and found out. Was a pretty key scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

That she was preggers? He was in her chamber at the end of the last series and found out. Was a pretty key scene.

So it's not the crow's eye's?

• Advertisement

Asus X540L wrote: »
    So it's not the crow's eye's?

No, he found out in person when he offered Cersei a drink and she refused it and was stroking her stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Because D&D had no clue how to end it and were too proud to ask for outside help so fireworks :pac:

Doesn't really feel like plot anymore.. Just stuff happening in order to cause other stuff. That sounds like what plot is but what I mean is is the writers have set pieces in mind and just write in something that could cause them.

The Night King tricked Dany into flying North to rescue Jon resulting in an undead dragon? No. The entire reason Jon even went North was to give the NK that dragon.

Missendei dies and Dany goes insane? No. We need Dany to go insane so let's sacrifice her last friend who isn't important to the story.

Cersei has morals so that's why she didn't kill Dany when she's in front of her? No. We need two more episodes.

The whole thing is backwards and that's why absolutely anything could happen yet none of it has meaning anymore.

I didn't even react emotionally or care about Jon's dragon randomly dying. "They did that so the enemy would be stronger." is all I thought. Gripping stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Doesn't really feel like plot anymore.. Just stuff happening in order to cause other stuff. That sounds like what plot is but what I mean is is the writers have set pieces in mind and just write in something that could cause them.

The Night King tricked Dany into flying North to rescue Jon resulting in an undead dragon? No. The entire reason Jon even went North was to give the NK that dragon.

Missendei dies and Dany goes insane? No. We need Dany to go insane so let's sacrifice her last friend who isn't important to the story.

Cersei has morals so that's why she didn't kill Dany when she's in front of her? No. We need two more episodes.

The whole thing is backwards and that's why absolutely anything could happen yet none of it has meaning anymore.

I didn't even react emotionally or care about Jon's dragon randomly dying. "They did that so the enemy would be stronger." is all I thought. Gripping stuff.
    Agreed, the more I think about it, when Jon went north of the wall to kidnap a wight, that was the real jump the shark moment. Out if 4 episodes this season, only last weeks was any good (tinternet disagrees with me there though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Why did Daenerys just fly off and leave them all at sea? Why didn’t she just fly around behind them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

HBO actually wanted it to be 2 normal length seasons. Benioff and Weiss wanted the two shortened seasons. GRRM himself thought it should have been more.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Another pile of steaming horse sh!t .... The weakest season by some distance. I dont think it can be rescued at this stage and wouldnt be surprised to see Jon suddenly realizing he has the ability to fly and shoot lazer beams out his eyes in the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It really shows what you're dealing with when people are quoting joe.ie as a reputable source for plot points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The show has been going around in misery circles for a long time now...

Very boring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What has happened to King's Landing? Seems to be in a desert now. Really jarring as it looked more like one of the cities in Essos like Qarth.

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They didn't though. Lady and Summer died ages ago but Sansa and Bran are still alive.

I think the dire wolves were symbols of that characters relationship with the Stark family.
    Lady was killed because of treachery, Sansa was also treacherous.

Summer died when Bran became the 3 eyed Raven, cutting further ties to the Stark family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Why did Daenerys just fly off and leave them all at sea? Why didn’t she just fly around behind them?

Same reason why she was unable to see the ships until they opened fire. Same reason why the Iron Fleet was able to hit a flying, moving target from a moving firing point with its first shot. The writers feel secure in the knowledge that people will watch to the end regardless. With "out of shot" equals "can't be seen by characters" nonsense, they've reached Walking Dead levels of naff.

Was a pity. I actually thought the rest of the episode was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I really enjoyed it but at the same time I really didn't.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Presumably Kings Landing has been moved because there’s going to be a battle on that set in one of the next episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Why wouldn't she? Check out any supercut of the Jaime/Brienne story and it's quite clear she's very fond of him, but much like how she quietly admired/loved Renly (although different seeing as she knew he was gay), and the fact she was at least semi-aware of Jaime x Cersei, means she'd never have dared try anything with Jaime and was never hesitant to admit she couldn't imagine barely anyone liking her. Even when he was there playing the obvious "It's hot in here, get your kit off" spiel, it takes her ages to register what he means. Next thing they're sleeping together and set to stay together at Winterfell while the Iron Throne shenanigans happens (and it wasn't a once-off occurance - they obviously slept together multiple times, or at least twice as they had that moment and later cut to similar situation while he's preparing to sneak away).

So, how does he brush her off? Admits he's going back to his sister and telling her that she was pretty much wrong in thinking/vouching for the 'good Jamie' who was happy to do X, Y and Z 'not so nice Jaime' things out of love for Cersei, and buggers off leaving Brienne behind. In short, she finally gets to be with someone she actually likes after fighting to save the world, not long after he's basically saying "imma go back to my old crush. PS. you were wrong about me, haha" and off he trots (even though I believe he's only saying it to dissuade her from following him to KL and getting into trouble, but I feel she will anyway and something will happen to her).

Don't get me wrong, I can understand someone thinking the blubbering was a bit too strong, but again, take the time to re-enjoy their dual-arc sometime - to me it was totally justified given all they had been through and how she was so blatantly pining for him on the quiet.

Just to add to this.. He’s the first man she’s ever been with and while she’s a noble knight, she is still human at the end of the day. She so believed he was good and for him to try and sneak off without saying a word and then telling her he’s going back to his sister it’s no wonder her heart was broken.

She’ll probably pick herself back up next week and act like it’s nothing but I think the immediate reaction was justified taking everything into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Mousewar wrote: »

It might not be a secret anymore. Euron doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that wouldn't brag about being the father of the queen's baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Giggernaut

Maybe it's obvious but how did Euron and the lads know Dany was en route to Kings Landing.

Seems like the decision to head south was made pretty quick post Winterfell battle.

Do we think there's a rat in Danys crew?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Have you honestly ever ridden on the back of dragon before? You obviously have no idea what a difficult manoeuvre that is.

People who have never ridden on a dragon before should not be allowed post such things. It is very unfair on Daenerys Targaryen's riding abilities. Until you know how difficult it is you should just keep your opinions to yourself, ok ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What's really noticeable at this stage is that there's weeks passing by between scenes. One minute they're in Winterfell, the next Dany and her crew are approaching Dragonstone by ship, then after a brief stay there, they are at the gates of King's Landing..... that's a number of weeks (a month or more even) just passing by in the space of a few scenes. It makes it all feel ridiculously rushed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Maybe it's obvious but how did Euron and the lads know Dany was en route to Kings Landing.

Seems like the decision to head south was made pretty quick post Winterfell battle.

Hard to see how they can work that into the story now with only two episodes left but you'd never know..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

In earlier seasons the plotting seemed glacially slow, now it's the opposite. I wish they could have found a happy medium between the two but once the final season was announced as 6 episodes I knew it would be an issue. In earlier seasons Cersei handing Bronn the crossbow and sending him to look for her brothers could have lead to some cool ****. Now it just leads Bronn to show up at Winterfell to basically announce that he's retiring. It's frustrating to watch, they've built this incredibly rich story and they're flying through the ending marginalising the (imo) more interesting characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

This show has really gone to sh*t.

It's sickening to see :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

nc6000 wrote: »
    Hard to see how they can work that into the story now with only two episodes left but you'd never know..........

I'd bet it'll never be even be mentioned in the show.

Read a good theory on Reddit about how it was Sansa who let King's Landing know Dany was heading south.. No Northmen are with Dany, it weakens both of Sansa's enemies etc.

And then the reality hits that the chances of the clowns writing this ever even considering using Sansa's newly forced intelligence to do something so smart is slim. If they do, it'll be great to have some intrigue again and it could save the season; The North can fight the broken winners of KL or something.

And this write up about cause and effect is good: https://old.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bld2j5/spoilers_extended_how_surprise_does_and_doesnt/

Stupid question alert.....

Who IS the father of Cersei’s baby if not Euron?

• Advertisement

Giggernaut wrote: »

Qyburn told Cersei in the first episode about the fall of the Wall, so he probably has spies in the region. If so, they would also have told him about Dany's fleet and dragons setting off, and Dragonstone would be the most logical destination.

Stupid question alert.....

Who IS the father of Cersei’s baby if not Euron?

The guy who broke Brienne's heart.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The guy who broke Brienne's heart.

Ah ok, that’s what I thought but with the timelines all over the place I wasn’t sure.

Ah ok, that’s what I thought but with the timelines all over the place I wasn’t sure.

You're right. She should have given birth to Jaime's by now but isn't even carrying a bump. So this new baby could be anyone's.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

It showed Cersei telling Jaime in the "previously" thing at the start of the episode

• Advertisement
Advertisement