Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman Loses Job for Holding Gender Critical Opinions.

Options

Comments

Takes a bull and a cow to make a calf. The bull is male, the cow is female.

We're mammals too. This isn't complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I honestly wouldn't fire someone for refusing to use the wrong pronouns. I'd be tempted to fire them for being a jerk to another employee though (and no, I wouldn't consider it trasnphobia). How hard can it be to call someone what they want to be called, be it Bob or Robert or Roberta?

Where do you draw the line though? What if I wanted to be called a word that you find offensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I care deeply about women's rights. Take a look at my posting history if you don't believe me.

I said I don't care about sports scholarships. As applying to BOTH men and women.

You like to manipulate my words as much as definitions.
    Why have yiu still not given a definition of biological sex that indicates the brain plays a role? You are a dishonest poster.

You keep saying I have manipulated definitions, yet have given no proof. Dishonest poster.

Sports scholarships in this context will only affect women. Women sports in this context will only be affected. Any female-only bursaries will solely be affected.

What's the point in saying you care about women's rights if you don't care for the rights of all women?

You don't care about women, you just pretend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

It's really not. I haven't heard anyone accuse the celebrities who defrauded the American college system and caused students to lose out on places of being human rights abusers. Anyone who did would rightly be viewed as being a little hysterical.

Female sports is a protected category for a reason.

So it is a woman’s right to be protected within that catagory. It’s not hard to grasp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Takes a bull and a cow to make a calf. The bull is male, the cow is female.

We're mammals too. This isn't complicated.

that's homophobic, the bull might want to stick it somewhere else

• Advertisement

Hey.... Hey identifies that he cares for women. That's good enough despite the evidence showing the opposite. You bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I agree that allowing for biological sex can be relevant in some situations. Medical mostly. But its relevance in certain scenarios is not an excuse to extend it to every scenario. I disagree that it affects womens rights.

How can it not when those rights are on the basis of biological sex? I mean, why are there even legal protections for women in the first place if not because of biology?

So for example, according to the UN, females have the right to single sex accomodation in prisons. Housing a biological male with them is therefore a violation of that right isn't it, regardless of how they identify?

I'm struggling to find this UN right. Can you link to it?

LLMMLL wrote:
    Yes. Although I'd be a bit worried that a trans person such as yourself has such negative feelings about yourself. Perhaps some counselling would help you?

So, you truly believe that it is OK for a person with all the appendages of a male to use an all female open changing room solely because said person tells you they are a female?

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I care deeply about women's rights. Take a look at my posting history if you don't believe me.

I said I don't care about sports scholarships. As applying to BOTH men and women.

You like to manipulate my words as much as definitions.
    Why have yiu still not given a definition of biological sex that indicates the brain plays a role? You are a dishonest poster.

You keep saying I have manipulated definitions, yet have given no proof. Dishonest poster.

Sports scholarships in this context will only affect women. Women sports in this context will only be affected. Any female-only bursaries will solely be affected.

What's the point in saying you care about women's rights if you don't care for the rights of all women?

I don't care about sports scholarships. It's not a human nor women's rights issue.

But of course your little temper tantrum about this overrides the majority of my posts which have been about supporting women's rights to the extent that on this site I'm generally considered an EXTREME feminist (I disagree with this but how and ever).

Do you disagree that female prisoners should be housed separately to male prisoners? (Whether it’s a right bestowed by the UN or not?)

• Advertisement

LLMMLL wrote:
    It depends how you use the word feel. I would say identify. The way you put it makes it sound like they woke up on Monday and felt like a woman and on Tuesday they might wake up and feel like a man. Obviously that's nonsense.

Nonsense???? Plenty of people currently say this is how they feel.

You are not very understanding of gender fluidity

I don't care about sports scholarships. It's not a human nor women's rights issue.

But of course your little temper tantrum about this overrides the majority of my posts which have been about supporting women's rights to the extent that on this site I'm generally considered an EXTREME feminist (I disagree with this but how and ever).

Scholarships aside (but I do think they’re important, as much for their support of elite athletes as the benefit of a college education bestows on a woman), do you think women have a right to compete in women’s only categories in sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

https://www.hrw.org/legacy/advocacy/prisons/un-smrs.htm
    8. The different categories of prisoners shall be kept in separate institutions or parts of institutions taking account of their sex, age, criminal record, the legal reason for their detention and the necessities of their treatment. Thus,

(a) Men and women shall so far as possible be detained in separate institutions; in an institution which receives both men and women the whole of the premises allocated to women shall be entirely separate;

khaldrogo wrote: »
    LLMMLL wrote:
    Yes. Although I'd be a bit worried that a trans person such as yourself has such negative feelings about yourself. Perhaps some counselling would help you?

So, you truly believe that it is OK for a person with all the appendages of a male to use an all female open changing room solely because said person tells you they are a female?

Yes. This has all been raised before in a thread a year or two ago. The only examples of changing.room troubles that any of those concerned about trans women in female spaces could actually find were cis men dressed as males entering department store changing rooms and cis men dressed as men demanding entry to female spaces saying they identify as trans but not actually entering those spaces because all they were trying to do was make a silly point.

https://www.hrw.org/legacy/advocacy/prisons/un-smrs.htm
    8. The different categories of prisoners shall be kept in separate institutions or parts of institutions taking account of their sex, age, criminal record, the legal reason for their detention and the necessities of their treatment. Thus,

(a) Men and women shall so far as possible be detained in separate institutions; in an institution which receives both men and women the whole of the premises allocated to women shall be entirely separate;

That makes no mention of biological males or females.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

A male skeleton is clearly male a female skeleton is clearly female, a man can not be a woman, a woman can not be a man, these are simple facts...since when has any of this been considered controversial? If a man wants to become more like a women by taking hormons or getting things removed then go for and vice versa for women who want to become more like men but a man can have a bay and a woman cant make sperm and I think a tiny minority should not expect the majority to change to facilitate them, They should also stay out of sports if they are not biologically that sex. Oscar Wild once said "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."

Candamir wrote: »

Scholarships aside (but I do think they’re important, as much for their support of elite athletes as the benefit of a college education bestows on a woman), do you think women have a right to compete in women’s only categories in sports?

I can see both sides and truly do not have an opinion nor care enough to research more and form one.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    LLMMLL wrote:
    It depends how you use the word feel. I would say identify. The way you put it makes it sound like they woke up on Monday and felt like a woman and on Tuesday they might wake up and feel like a man. Obviously that's nonsense.

Nonsense???? Plenty of people currently say this is how they feel.

You are not very understanding of gender fluidity

Sigh. I am solely talking about trans people. Trans people are not gender fluid.

Do you disagree that female prisoners should be housed separately to male prisoners? (Whether it’s a right bestowed by the UN or not?)

Jesus wept! We’ll have to get the UN to hurry up with that definition that you seem to think is a long way away.
    Your reading of it makes the entire point, and yet another woman’s right, moot.

Ok. I’ll rephrase my question.

Do you disagree that female bodied prisoners should be housed separately to male bodied prisoners.

(‘Bodied’ pertaining to primary and secondary sex characteristics)

Jesus wept! We’ll have to get the UN to hurry up with that definition that you seem to think is a long way away.
    Your reading of it makes the entire point, and yet another woman’s right, moot.

Ok. I’ll rephrase my question.

Do you disagree that female bodied prisoners should be housed separately to male bodied prisoners.

I believe trans women should be houses with other women.

• Advertisement

And you don’t believe that this is an infringement of a female prisoners right to be house separately to male bodied prisoners, and could put female prisoners at risk?

Why have you still not given a sourced definition of biological sex that in anyway refers to it depending on the brain?

Is it because one doesn't exist?

You are extremely delusional if anything.

And you don’t believe that this is an infringement of a female prisoners right to be house separately to male bodied prisoners, and could put female prisoners at risk?

No I don't

No I don't

So clearly another right and protection for women that you really don’t care much about.

Shall we go on?

(Edit to add: Do you think sex segregation in prison nor anywhere else is necessary at all?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I think the word "sex" is the giveaway that they are in fact referring to biology but ok.

Sorry if their language isn't specific enough for you. This convention was adopted in the 1950s so I'm pretty sure the thought that females would one day be imprisoned with male sex offenders in a developed country wouldnt have even occured to them.

No I don't

So clearly another right and protected ruin for women that you really don’t care much about.

Shall we go on?

Big manipulation. I said their right was not being violated. Not that their right was violated and I was OK with that. Are you capable of debating without manipulating my words?

I think the word "sex" is the giveaway that they are in fact referring to biology but ok.

Sorry if their language isn't specific enough for you. This convention was adopted in the 1950s so I'm pretty sure the thought that females would one day be imprisoned with male sex offenders wouldnt have even occured to them.

I don't think either of us know the intention but I would hazard a guess that they hadn't considered trans issues and the intent is to deal with cis men being kept separate from cis women.

Big manipulation. I said their right was not being violated. Not that their right was violated and I was OK with that. Are you capable of debating without manipulating my words?

You might call it manipulating words, but the reality of your world order is that rights are infringed.

And you are ok with that.

He's not manipulating anything. You don't care about women, you just pretend to. You engage in some serious mental gymnastics in order to keep the pretence up for yourself.

I'm sure you'll, wrongly, accuse me of manipulation (yet again). Still no definition, and still no proof of how I supposedly manipulated the definition I gave.

I wonder why that is...

• Advertisement

I don't think either of us know the intention but I would hazard a guess that they hadn't considered trans issues and the intent is to deal with cis men being kept separate from cis women.

Why should cis men be kept away from cis women, in your opinion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement