Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman Loses Job for Holding Gender Critical Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a formerly suppressed group is now in the ascendancy and is seeking revenge.

good healthy revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    No one was fired. A contract wasn’t renewed. They are different things and require different levels of justification.

Still no clue as to the potentially derogatory part of the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

It’s not f**king censorship. What you want is freedom of speech AND protection from consequences. You are only entitled to the former.

Freedom of speech implies protection from consequences. We are not talking about any right to hate speech. But protection from the consequences of speaking freely (ie thinking freely) in general is precisely what the freedom means. What else? :confused:

The church has come on my hairy arsehole.

The law now prevents discrimination on those grounds, it’s not a principled step forward the church took.

Mmm. I’m not really implying that the church has come on, more that we have regressed.

Originally Posted by KikiLaRue
    The church has come on my hairy arsehole.

What a quote

:D:D:D hahaha too much ...gotta go back out to the gardening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

klaaaz wrote: »
    The writer of the article is actually the provoking one, throwing insults.
    It really isn't. That is some bizarre definition of throwing insults. People should let go of the need to look liberal (or conservative) all the time and just think for themselves.

She doesn't take issue with individuals being trans, she is talking about a far bigger picture to do with language and science and distortion of reality.

If a man transitions, he is not a woman, he is a trans woman.

Sex is not a social construct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Candamir wrote: »
    Still no clue as to the potentially derogatory part of the article.

I understand that you don’t see anything said in it as offensive. I understand why other people might find it very offensive. I’m undecided.

I’m not going to explain it to you point by point, I’m sure both sides of the debate are being explored in detail on Twitter.

I understand that you don’t see anything said in it as offensive. I understand why other people might find it very offensive. I’m undecided.

I’m not going to explain it to you point by point, I’m sure both sides of the debate are being explored in detail on Twitter.

Not even one point. Ok so.

Zorya wrote: »
    Freedom of speech implies protection from consequences. We are not talking about any right to hate speech. But protection from the consequences of speaking freely (ie thinking freely) in general is precisely what the freedom means. What else? :confused:

It really, really doesn’t and I’m not going to engage with you any more on this until you do some research on it.

At its heart, freedom of speech is about protecting individuals and the press from government interference with their right to voice opposing, anti-government views.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It’s not f**king censorship. What you want is freedom of speech AND protection from consequences. You are only entitled to the former.
    how about the consequences resulting from claiming you are a different gender to that of your body?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Ah so she didn't lose her job. Her contract wasn't extended.

Not even one point. Ok so.

Why would I bother? Going to read that article again to highlight the points that might be contentious just so you can reject it? You’ve said repeatedly you don’t think it’s derogatory so I doubt I can change your mind.

From memory, the woman got very few retweets and replies and decided to make her tweets steadily more controversial until she provoked a debate.

So she consciously decided to be provocative, was warned by her employers that many would find it offensive, told them she was going to continue regardless and is now somehow surprised that being a pain in her employer’s hole had resulted in her contract not being renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Hang on, the writer of the article, that you haven’t read, is provoking and throwing insults?

And the Labour party’s women’s officer - who is responding to an article where she raises the issue of women’s rights - tells her to go fuçk herself, and that’s ok??
    It really isn't. That is some bizarre definition of throwing insults. People should let go of the need to look liberal (or conservative) all the time and just think for themselves.

She doesn't take issue with individuals being trans, she is talking about a far bigger picture to do with language and science and distortion of reality.

If a man transitions, he is not a woman, he is a trans woman.

Sex is not a social construct.

She did take issue with transgender people with her bias. She called trans women as transgender males, like cis men and trans men.

I'd agree with the first comment in reaction to the article
    479556.PNG

No wonder mainstream womens organisations want nothing to do with the fringe element.

Hardly throwing insults.

No pay wall. You might have to sign in with an email address. Believe me in my embarrassed financial state, I don't pay to read any shagging newspaper :pac:

Just because you sign up to a foreign newspaper, don't expect the rest of us to do likewise just to read your articles.

It really, really doesn’t and I’m not going to engage with you any more on this until you do some research on it.

At its heart, freedom of speech is about protecting individuals and the press from government interference with their right to voice opposing, anti-government views.

She worked for a non profit organisation ''Think Tank''. Think Tanks do research and advocacy and lobbying to influence govt policy making. They are supposed to encourage diverse thinking. CGD is ranked in the top 15 global Think Tanks. It receives funding from among others, governments. Various governments involvement is central to the CGD.
    As an aside it's home base being in Washington may make it amenable to first amendment protection rights.

These Think Tanks working to effect policy changes at government level globally should at the very least be subject to the UN declaration of human rights, to have any sort of credibility.

Article 18.

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

She did take issue with transgender people with her bias. She called trans women as transgender males, like cis men and trans men.

I'd agree with the first comment in reaction to the article
    479556.PNG

No wonder mainstream womens organisations want nothing to do with the fringe element.

Yes, I agree that referring to trans women as transgender males (and I think the use of male and not men is important) was wrong. She explains the use of it in her reply to the comment you posted - she was trying to describe a biologically male body, and that there are situations where it’s relevant and important to make that distinction, and that the word male should not be ring fences and off limits.
    So that explanation makes sense in context.

Just because you sign up to a foreign newspaper, don't expect the rest of us to do likewise just to read your articles.

The article wasn’t behind a paywall. The Times discussion of it may be, but you don’t need someone else’s notes to have your own discussion do you?

Dem fordeners tuk owr nuuus :mad:

Why would I bother? Going to read that article again to highlight the points that might be contentious just so you can reject it? You’ve said repeatedly you don’t think it’s derogatory so I doubt I can change your mind.

From memory, the woman got very few retweets and replies and decided to make her tweets steadily more controversial until she provoked a debate.

So she consciously decided to be provocative, was warned by her employers that many would find it offensive, told them she was going to continue regardless and is now somehow surprised that being a pain in her employer’s hole had resulted in her contract not being renewed.

Not so I can reject it - so I can see where you’re coming from.
    What’s the point in shouting discrimination when you won’t tell me where I’m going wrong?

Is it not that what she said wasn’t so terrible after all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

She worked for a non profit organisation ''Think Tank''.

With all the political correctness backlash, it nearly seems that employing any trans is a serious minefield in any companys culture and everyone would need to walk on eggshells to avoid some form of incident.
    And that's not even including the possibility that they are equal and subject to normal judgement and dismissal based on their performance alone.

But being fired for holding the traditional opinion on sex and gender is ridiculous.
    You can see why the likes of Trump got voted in in America, why normal people have to draw a line in the sand on ridiculousness. When opposing views are being forced on them through legal means, politically, commercial sabotage and name and shame policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Poppycock.

If I employ someone and I find out that their political ideology of choice is that of ISIS, and that they advocate their views online regularly, I should be well within my right to terminate their employment.

Free speech is a right. Free speech with no consequences is not a right.

When you sign a contract with an employer, you agree to abide by their rules. If you break those rules, you might be terminated.

I especially like how you conflate to position that 'there are only 2 genders' with that of a terrorist organization.

You're definately suited to HR with your proportionate and measured strawmanning.

rgodard80a wrote: »
    With all the political correctness backlash, it nearly seems that employing any trans is a serious minefield in any companys culture and everyone would need to walk on eggshells to avoid some form of incident.
    And that's not even including the possibility that they are equal and subject to normal judgement and dismissal based on their performance alone.

Be nice and respectful to people, and everyone gets along.
    rgodard80a wrote: »
    But being fired for holding the traditional opinion on sex and gender is ridiculous.
    You can see why the likes of Trump got voted in in America, why normal people have to draw a line in the sand on ridiculousness. When opposing views are being forced on them through legal means, politically, commercial sabotage and name and shame policies.

The person did not get fired, their contract was not renewed. Trump got in based on conservatism just like some posters here with their conservative views. Who are those normal people, the conservatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hang on, the writer of the article, that you haven’t read, is provoking and throwing insults?

And the Labour party’s women’s officer - who is responding to an article where she raises the issue of women’s rights - tells her to go fuçk herself, and that’s ok??

I remember from before you seem to have issues with links!

The article the woman wrote is linked in the OP and it’s not behind a pay wall.

I'd hazard a guess that telling someone to go fcuk themselves is pretty much against the Labour Party's policy too.

So she should be sacked also. Am I doing this correctly?

Be nice and respectful to people, and everyone gets along.
    Oh absolutely, but to some, the definition of nice and respectful is walking on eggshells.

Oh absolutely, but to some, the definition of nice and respectful is walking on eggshells.

Well then for those who cannot hold back their anger at getting offended in the workplace at the sight of a transgender person working with them in their office, perhaps they should get anger management classes and counselling for the upset caused to their sensitivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yes, it is censorship. It's censorship through the back door.

It's the shutting down of opposing views by removing the livelihood of those with the opposing views.

Once again, I'll repeat.

I'm not against consequences for people who promote illegal views such as kill Jews, burn the blacks, rape the Irish. By all means throw the book at those people.

But sacking people for saying that they think people with a penis are male and people with a vagina are female, that's ridiculous.

It also seems to mean denying material reality.

No regular person is going to be an arsehole, I would rarely be rude to someone. Though believe me I will be as rude to a trans dickhead as I will be to a non-trans dickhead. :D
    But I am not going to say things that are not true.

This whole thing of waiting until we find out that sex is in the brain is bullcrap too. We will be a long long long time waiting until we map the brain and all its wonders and in the meantime we should go with the Occam's razor approach regarding DNA, chromosomes and sex genotype.

People are looking to support psychic powers in the brains mechanisms too, have been for a long time, even at the highest levels of state sponsored shenanigans. Should we in the meantime reorder the workings of the world on the basis that we might all be proved someday to be prophets?

People are looking for God in the brain too - they might get there faster than finding definitive male and female sex is in the brain, what with those mysterious microtubules. That'll be a fun day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well then for those who cannot hold back their anger at getting offended in the workplace at the sight of a transgender person working with them in their office, perhaps they should get anger management classes and counselling for the upset caused to their sensitivities.

Who has done this? Certainly not the woman in question here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,383 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I did in my first point on the topic. The rights of the individual trump the rights of the business. As I said you can put out in the public arena that you do not support your employees views.

What if you can't record proof?

Regarding proof - again, you know the law as well as I do.

You said "tough". But then you ignored the idea that the business owner might be an individual - what then? One individual's right versus another individual's right? The only distinction being employee and employer? Why should the employee have his rights to free speech taken away from him? What if he fundamentally disagrees with the employee and that the relationship has broken down to the point that he can he feels he can no longer work with them?

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you to an extent: what views you have and how you express them off the clock should be yours and yours alone - but my point is that it's simply not possible to give ultimate freedom of speech to every individual.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement