Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peppered Pork Chops!

Options
  • 05-05-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭

Hi!
    I sometimes get peppered pork chops at the butchers or Supervalu. Well that's how the coating is described.
    I have looked for this coating in supermarkets/shops but haven't seen anything similar/wasn't sure.
    Is this coating available in the seasoning section in the supermarket or is there a way I can mix it up?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi!
    I sometimes get peppered pork chops at the butchers or Supervalu. Well that's how the coating is described.
    I have looked for this coating in supermarkets/shops but haven't seen anything similar/wasn't sure.
    Is this coating available in the seasoning section in the supermarket or is there a way I can mix it up?

Thanks!

SuperValu in Longford used to sell tubs of it at the butcher counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

TheBody wrote: »
    SuperValu in Longford used to sell tubs of it at the butcher counter.

Yes, the butcher would give you a bit for free sometimes in Supervalue at home of you were buying pork.
    I'd just love to be able to make/buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, the butcher would give you a bit for free sometimes in Supervalue at home of you were buying pork.
    I'd just love to be able to make/buy it.
    sometimes even the stuff at the butchers counter can have ingredients listed printed on the label. Or if it is coming from a commerical tub you might be able to ask to get a photo of it. Ingredients are listed in order of greatest first, so you could have a stab at making your own.

This is tescos peppered bacon loin
    Irish unsmoked bacon eye loin with breadcrumb and pepper coating

INGREDIENTS: Bacon Eye loin (98%)(Pork, Water, Salt, Yeast Extract, Preservatives (Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Nitrate), Antioxidant (Sodium Ascorbate)), Breadcrumbs(Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast, Colour (Paprika Extract)), Ground Paprika, Parsley, Cracked Black Pepper.

Carrolls peppered roast beef
    Ingredients
    Irish Beef, Salt, Dextrose, Stabilisers: Triphosphates, Diphosphates, Polyphosphates, Carrageenan, Yeast Extract, Pepper Coating (Dried Bell Peppers, Pepper, Onion Powder, Parsley), Pork Gelatine, Modified Corn Starch, Made with 112g of Raw Beef per 100g of finished product
    The "dried bell peppers" is paprika.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Dunnes do very nice peppered pork chops in a pack of two with a sachet of nice peppercorn sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

rubadub wrote: »
    The "dried bell peppers" is paprika.

and I'd say "pepper" is ground white pepper, not cracked black

• Advertisement
Advertisement