Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from soccer forum

Options
  • 05-05-2019 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭

I wish to appeal a ban received on Wednesday by moderator thanx 4 the fish.

I made a tongue in cheek post which he issued a yellow for. This resulted in a ban for ten days.

I have reached out to the moderator in recent days but he has refused to address my point that my post was tongue in cheek and has upheld the ban based on his interpretation of the post.

I spoke with another moderator who agreed that my post was tongue in cheek and banter in the usual back and forth manner of the soccer forum.

If you need further information please let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Any progress here?

This was posted on Sunday and I believe it's 48 hours is normal response rate.

I see another dispute for a ban from the same moderator T4TF to another Manchester United supporter has been resolved in the last day.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We're struggling on availability of Sports CMods at present. I'll therefore make the same offer as I did in the other thread that moved on yesterday. I can look at this if no Sports CMod gets to it by this evening

Firstly could you forward your PM exchange with the mod when you attempted to resolve this (or post it here)

Thanks

No thanks beasty I'd prefer to wait for a cMod as you always side with T4TF in these matters.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, well our only available CMod feels conflicted on this particular appeal. You can wait for Steve to come back online, or ask for this to go straight to an Admin if you do not wish me to take the CMod role on this

Beasty wrote:
    OK, well our only available CMod feels conflicted on this particular appeal. You can wait for Steve to come back online, or ask for this to go straight to an Admin if you do not wish me to take the CMod role on this

Thanks beasty, didn't expect you to do anymore on it but fair play to you. I spoke with another soccer admin prior to appealing eho said he could see that there was banter in the post I was carded for. I spoke very civilly with a few Liverpool lads later in the thread and enjoyed a bit of a laugh. When I raised this with T4TF he ignored the point as he also did with my explanation of the offence he carded me for that it was a tongue in cheek post. I've no problem forwarding the DM chain if needed.

• Advertisement

Could you forward the PM exchange to me

Thanks

Thanks for the PMs. I'll try and get back to you later this evening

Beasty wrote:
    Thanks for the PMs. I'll try and get back to you later this evening

Fair enough beasty

Firstly I will re-emphasise something the mod said to you in the PM exchange

Your ban of 2 weeks is for picking up 3 yellow cards during the current "season" (as explained in the forum charter)

In this case you were issued with a yellow card for a post in the Barcelona v Liverpool match thread The post was
    Will there be a day off mourning and a closure to the Liverpool super thread tomorrow to mourn tonight's defeat.....

That is a very clear reference to the "tradition" that has been established in recent years of closing the Liverpool Superthread to posting on the anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy.

Essentially that was equating a defeat to an occasion when 96 Liverpool fans died. Whatever you may wish to claim in terms of suggesting this was "banter", surely you can see that some Liverpool fans would be extremely offended by such a comment?

As it was your post was reported and the mod issued a yellow card for "trolling". I could see a very strong argument that would support a harsher penalty being applied for such an insensitive post. Equally a "harsher" sanction did follow due to the totting up process with the 2 week ban you are now challenging

I note your comments above suggesting I always side with the mod who issued these sanctions. Whether that is true or not can be debated, but I will say that in prior discussions with the mod when I was a Sports CMod he would regularly take onboard comments I may make on dealing with issues. Equally perhaps the reason it appears that I do often "side" with the mod is he actually gets his decisions "right" most of the time (and I put right in quotes because that is really a subjective view of the application of forum and site rules)

In this case I can find no fault in the mod's actions, and am upholding the card. You have previously been pulled up for trolling Liverpool fans (including a yellow card and thread ban from the Liverpool Superthread earlier this year). It may well be that some posters would see such comments as "banter" but in my view they were very antagonistic comments towards many Liverpool regulars who would be posting in and reading that particular thread very closely

As I've already mentioned I am stepping into the CMod's role here (and I do that with a reasonable understanding of what goes on in the Soccer forum, both from my time as a Sports CMod, and indeed spending some time in the forum over the years)

If you want a further review at Admin level that is absolutely your entitlement, and indeed you may then get a view from someone who is a little more detached from the forum than I am

No response from OP = marking resolved

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement