Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 Catches Fire

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

martinsvi wrote: »
    the videos I've seen are so grainy you cant distinctly tell whether someone is holding a bag or a jacket, you can't tell if they're slowing down because they're carrying something or because they have inhaled lots of smoke, have suffered some trauma or are of certain age where moving is difficult

You can see it pretty clearly in the video I posted in #34.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Nijmegen wrote: »

I can see that at around 25th second of the video there seems to be a pause in between otherwise very rapid evacuation and then when the flow resumes there seems to be a pax going down the slide what looks like a sizable bag flying over his/her head. At the same time evacuation is uninterrupted on the opposite slide and this is effectively fed through the same aisle. We don't know for sure whether this person actually slowed anybody down or he was one of the last ones capable of leaving and was simply in position to grab his bag without hurting anyone.

Again I want to stress this - I completely condemn this sort of action but I don't think there's enough evidence to claim that this particular passenger or any other of them slowed the evacuation down or doomed the stranded victims

There are lots of angry folk on the web shaking their heads in disgust but you never know how you would act in this sort of scenario, don't be too quick with throwing stones. As pax people are programmed to behave a certain way - you get on the plane, put your bag down, sit down, buckle up. To get out of the plane you do the same sequence the opposite way. Once you face panic, you don't think, you don't consider your belongings, your looks, whatever else, you revert to your motor memory - in this case - unbuckle, get up, grab your bag, go! Even trained professionals get things wrong during emergencies, you can't expect untrained pax to do everything correctly and in a rational way!

On a final note - I was listening to a talk by a Psychologist recently where she was discussing peoples behavior regarding road-rage. She mentioned "an office paradox" - it's a situation where if you as an individual leave dirty dishes behind on a shared lunch table, you always have an excuse - you are late for something, you got called in a meeting, you are tired, you have to take an important call etc... however once you see someone else do the same, you just assume they did it because they are lazy and ignorant! Your mistakes always have an excuse, other people mistakes come down to their personalities! I draw a lot of parallels here to this accident - you have outraged sofa people in their hundreds slamming their keyboards, but if they would face a similar situation, trust me, they would all have an excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Yeah, I've been reading a bit into it today. The BA flight into Las Vegas for example, people explicitly reported telling others to leave their bags behind and were ignored. The Emirates plane that caught fire - and a fire fighter subsequently died in the blaze - also had a lot of onboard footage of people essentially milling around not in a panic. I think it has more to do with selfishness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I'm struggling to understand why emergency services weren't on standby beside the runway. Any other country and the plane would be followed down the runway but an engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been reading a bit into it today. The BA flight into Las Vegas for example, people explicitly reported telling others to leave their bags behind and were ignored. The Emirates plane that caught fire - and a fire fighter subsequently died in the blaze - also had a lot of onboard footage of people essentially milling around not in a panic. I think it has more to do with selfishness.

I've often wondered if all the successful evacuations the last few years have made people kind of nonchalant about them and images of people getting off planes in emergency situations with their bags in hand with no fatalities lead people to think it's absolutely fine to do it. Perhaps this one will change attitudes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I'm struggling to understand why emergency services weren't on standby beside the runway. Any other country and the plane would be followed down the runway but an engine.

Indeed. And in most cases as a precaution and not needed...this was very definitely an incident where they needed instant fire assistance and it wasn’t there, sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ED E wrote: »
    Fintan Ryan is a terrrrrible radio guest. All over the shop. Surely MI could get somebody better...

Absolutely dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The idea that there were no thunderstorms just because the metars or SIGMETs didn't show them (if that's true) is wrong. Around the time of the accident the metars reported scattered Cb at 5500-6000 ft. High-based Cb like that can easily produce lightning without thunder being heard by an observer on the ground. In any case the plane was not right overhead the airport when struck so local reports are irrelevant. Satellite images show some patchy cells in a wide area around Moscow and further beyond at that time.

Advertisement