Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to put between bedding and lawn?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Please don't spoil it with anything. Get a half moon spade and just cut a clean serpentine edge to the lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The only thing I'd consider would be some nice coloured natural stones if you could find enough the right size and the same size but it's easier all round to just make a nice curved edge and keep it clean with edging shears. If you start adding those pesky mini fence railings or the like they just fall over, get bent, look tatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'd put a mowing strip (small bricks set in a trench for example) in. Otherwise, unless you're diligent with maintaining the edge, the grass will inevitably creep into the bed. Also makes it easier to mulch the bed if you get the levels right, without it spilling onto the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Former Dublin BlowIns

We have bricks between ours. If going for same you'll need to think of something to block the grass going through the holes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

479570.jpg

Ok thanks for the advice! What about this area now, will I just do the same and any ideas on what to put on top as in decorative Stone or Mulch?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I use wood chip mulch, often over waste cardboard. Bark is common, and looks a fair bit darker. Fallen leaves in late autumn.

It can look a bit sterile, so a better long term plan is to plant creeping, mat forming ground cover plants.

You can use weed block membrane under the mulch, but it is in the long term interest of the soil to allow natural processes to work.

What is the ultimate height and spread of that plant you've put in the border?

Advertisement