Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive post from previous tenant

Options
  • 05-05-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I bought a house recently. I am receiving a lot of post for the tenant who use to live there. I don't have a forwarding address.

What Is the best way to ensure the senders update their mailing list?

Should I put not at this address, return to sender or is there something else that can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I’d like to know the answer to this too. I checked An Post’s website but their FAQ only mentions receiving mail with the wrong address on it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Put 'not at this address' and put it back in the post box. Then at least anyone sending important stuff will know they have lost contact. Nothing else you can do. If the house was owned by someone a neighbour might be willing to pass it on, but a tenant is probably just one of many, and may not want to have been contacted, so you really can't do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Buying house2020

Just write 'not known at this address' and put in post box, eventually an post will stop sending their post to that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Gormal

'Not known at this address' or 'return to sender' and dump in the post box, eventually it will stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Write "gone away" on the envelope and put it back into a post box. It will go back to the sender and they will sort it out. I had to do this with over 100 pieces of mail going to an accountants former office from the Revenue. It stopped coming after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

If they were the previous owners, you could contact the estate agent and communicate through them.
    I did this in the weeks after we bought our house, just to be nice.
    After that I just wrote not at this address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Agreed, elvis said it best

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Simple as that I’m afraid. I got some stickers printed out online for a few quid so it was less of a chore. But that’s all you can do.

I got stickers with:
    Not as this address
    Return to sender
    Please remove from mailing list

The post reduced soon enough but it took maybe 6 months to stop completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Simple as that I’m afraid. I got some stickers printed out online for a few quid so it was less of a chore. But that’s all you can do.

I got stickers with:
    Not as this address
    Return to sender
    Please remove from mailing list

The post reduced soon enough but it took maybe 6 months to stop completely.

Took about the same here also

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When we moved recently we did mail forwarding, but at €100 for 3 months (or thereabouts) you would be pretty quick at notifying everyone you had moved - unless you did not want to be found.

Edit, just remembered - after setting it up and moving we got a notification from An Post telling us it had been put in place. We also got a phone call from our solicitor saying that the new owners had left in some registered mail addressed to us. I asked him to open it and it was another notification from An Post to tell us that they were forwarding mail to the new address! I can see the security implications, but it seemed a bit daft at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depending on what mood the local post office is in; you can sometimes get them to give you the official pink return stickers that let you tick the box for a reason (I had gone away and deceased to deal with). I've since run out of them but my problem is down to one repeated demand from a finance house for someone who probably left the house a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Been in this situation before where I have got peoples bank details being sent; share dividends, mortgage statements, savings plans..... its mad really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

looksee wrote: »
    When we moved recently we did mail forwarding, but at €100 for 3 months (or thereabouts) you would be pretty quick at notifying everyone you had moved - unless you did not want to be found.

A few years back when selling, we gave the postman €50 and a few hundred labels and we got the odd bit of post for that house for at least a year :D

Having recently moved again despite best efforts a lot of post still goes there. For a while they would let us know and we would pick and rectify now they just mark as not at this address and throw it back in the post box. That triggered a few stragglers to contact us via email or phone to fix the address. Im pretty sure its all sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

OP, This is a standard problem which you move into a new house.
    Just return everything to sending as previously described on this thread.
    The quantity of post will gradually start to decline.

I bought a house 2 years ago with this issue and did it this way. After about a year we pretty much stopped receiving anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I went to the post office. Told them the names of the people who live in the house and they don’t deliver previous residents post anymore. I don’t know what they do with it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Dublindamo wrote: »
    I bought a house recently. I am receiving a lot of post for the tenant who use to live there. I don't have a forwarding address.

What Is the best way to ensure the senders update their mailing list?

Should I put not at this address, return to sender or is there something else that can be done?

Had the same issue. Resolved with patience posting back every envelope with RTS stamped on it. After a while all previous tenant post was gone.

Advertisement