Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Ireland insurance

• 06-05-2019 8:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

So, I had a spill over the weekend and have a few days hospital stay plus out of work for probably 6 weeks. Anyone have any experience claiming hospital expenses and loss of earnings on their CI insurance? What are they like to deal with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Are you a member of a club and was it an organised training spin or race? They'll only cover you for €150/week less the first week. I'd say their policy is underwritten by a larger insurance company so should be a straight forward affair just keep a record of your expenses.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Daro crashed on the Orwell Randonee (a sportive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ya I'm in a club and the spill was on the Orwell Randonee.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Ya I'm in a club and the spill was on the Orwell Randonee.

It should hopefully be straight forward so. Heal well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Does anyone know if there is any way to "boost" the cycling Ireland insurance. It might be worth it for some Pepe who depend on their income

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    There is also an inner limit of €250 for physiotherapy expenses.
    is that a typo, or does inner limit actually mean something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cionn wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any way to "boost" the cycling Ireland insurance. It might be worth it for some Pepe who depend on their income

You can take out your own income protection insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Yep but that is up to the individual. I was more thinking of say a €50 annual cost for club members to boost up the cover from cycling Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Just make sure you open your claim within 30 days of the incident.

Keep a copy of all expenses and it should be straight forward once you fill out the forms they send.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Are you a member of a club and was it an organised training spin or race? They'll only cover you for €150/week less the first week. I'd say their policy is underwritten by a larger insurance company so should be a straight forward affair just keep a record of your expenses.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/insurance

Does that make any difference? Are you not covered if you were out on your own on a training spin??? I'm a member of a club but cycle on my own 95% of the time, I understood that I was covered even if out on my own on a training spin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Does that make any difference? Are you not covered if you were out on your own on a training spin??? I'm a member of a club but cycle on my own 95% of the time, I understood that I was covered even if out on my own on a training spin...

You are covered anytime you are cycling with a club or on your own. It covers commuting, training and racing

The reason I asked about the club is it would be easier to prove if questioned. I'd say they put that stipulation to offer them some kind of protection for lads cycling home with a few jars on them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

doiredoire wrote: »
    You are covered anytime you are cycling with a club or on your own. It covers commuting, training and racing

Policy documents are less clear-cut (my emphasis):
    Personal Accident – Features and Benefits
    (Included within Cycling Ireland Membership and valid for registered members and/or Clubs Only)
    Personal Accident covers all registered Cycling Ireland members of each affiliated Club (including committee members, coaches and officials) for a range of benefits payable in the event of an accidental injury during participation, including training and travelling to and from events or training sessions. Training is deemed to be official sanctioned training only. Travelling is only covered whilst as a member of an organised party under the direction of the Insured, and specifically excludes any travel by motorcycle.

On the other hand, they have a source that muddies this, as sanctioned training and cycling on your own (as a club member), seem somewhat mutually exclusive: http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/insurance/insurance-overview
    Am I covered for cycling on my own?

Yes, provided it forms part of your ongoing training.

This has been a discussion point on here repeatedly in the past, and I've seen it swing back and forth between interpretations over the course of a few years at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

cython wrote: »
    Policy documents are less clear-cut (my emphasis)

I was wondering too if that had changed, but never got around to checking the docs. Commuting is only covered if you're training while commuting.

I was travelling by bike to Sundrive a few years ago and had an accident. I was covered - albeit a relatively small amount for damage caused to a third party's car - without really questioning was I travelling or training or commuting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

is that a typo, or does inner limit actually mean something?

After a recent accident I requested a claim form from CI. Their brokers emailed one to me and their email included the following:

"Medical Expenses are covered up to a limit of €2,500 with a policy excess of €250.00, an inner limit of €500 for physio expenses, and an excess of €250.
    In the event that any private medical insurance have paid or are paying part of the claim, we will require a letter stating the exact amounts paid. We will then obtain payment for the balance, no excess will apply. Medical expenses cover is for 12 months from the date of the injury. Physiotherapy expenses may only be submitted where a referral from a medical practitioner has been obtained & is a direct result of sustaining Bodily Injury resulting in Broken Bones or Primary Dislocation."

As I'm retired and the only medical expense so far was the standard €100 hospital A&E charge (covered 4 physio sessions too), I have told them I won't be making a claim unless I end up going back for more medical treatment. I still don't know either what an "inner limit" is.

A clubmate who broke his collarbone in the same crash isn't too impressed with the cover. His own medical insurance covered the hospital charges and his employer allowed him 8 weeks sick leave but to get €150 a week for a couple more weeks out of work, he had to produce original receipts. As his private medical insurer already had these, it was too much hassle to get them back for the CI claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

"inner limit" means that physio expenses in excess of €500 will not be paid even if your total medical expenses are within the overall limit of €2,500. So you cannot claim physio expenses up to €2,500.

Advertisement