Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door Swing Direction

Options
  • 06-05-2019 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

Ballpark what are you talking to get someone to change the swing direction of the door?

I'm not talking about changing from a left swing to a right swing, which is relatively straight forward. What I'm on about in changing the door from swinging out of a room, to swinging it in to the room.

Standard interior door and door frame.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€300-€400 maybe

Most chip pies charge €150 per door into an existing opening.
    You also may need new architrave or frames as the hinges etc will all have to swap sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

kceire wrote: »
    €300-€400 maybe

Most chip pies charge €150 per door into an existing opening.
    You also may need new architrave or frames as the hinges etc will all have to swap sides.

Thanks.

Looking at a new house and the utility room door swings out into the kitchen to hit right off the cooker hob. And if you're standing at the hob and someone wants to access the utility room you've to get out of their way.

This is a drawing of what I am on about.

Why would they swing the door outwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the frame is painted with a planted on door stop, then it's straightforward to change the swing without removing the frame, if the door has a rebated frame, then the frame and architrave has to be moved and a new frame may be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 38 james 17

should be straightforward enough for chippy,a matter of taking architrave off, unscrewing frame turning it around and fixing it again ,in pics both doors are hinged on left hand side.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Just keep an eye out to make sure when the door is changed it dosent cover a light switch .
    Seems unusall the door opens in to the kitchen and not along the utility wall .
    There could be a light switch on that wall.

Just keep an eye out to make sure when the door is changed it dosent cover a light switch .
    Seems unusall the door opens in to the kitchen and not along the utility wall .
    There could be a light switch on that wall.

I was out on site today and the foreman said it could be something to do with fire safety. The door needs to swing out into the kitchen. Whatever it is they built per the plans given to them.

The fire safety thing sounds like bullsh't, but then again I haven't a clue about these fire safety things. The guy was as sound a bloke that you'd meet. I go a lot by the cut of a guy and I couldn't fault this chap, very helpful. So I said grand, not a deal breaker. He will get one of the lads to switch it if I'm unhappy but he'd have to check there's no fire safety issue.

Advertisement