Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ineos 1:59 Challenge!

• 06-05-2019 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Another kipchoge sub 2 hour marathon attempt aided by in/out pacemakers etc. To be expected but the involvement of Ineos caught my eye after the recent Team Sky takeover. This Ratcliffe guy seems to want to rival Red Bull in its portfolio of sports sponsorship. However, many see it as a further attempt of 'greenwashing' or 'sportswashing' by one of the worlds largest plastics producers and proponents of fracking.

From the BBC website.

London could host the 2019 challenge, which is being sponsored by Ineos, who formally took over cycling's Team Sky last week.
    The chemicals firm is owned by Britain's richest man, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who said Kipchoge is the only athlete who has "any chance" of beating the two-hour mark.
    "We are going to give him every support and hopefully witness sporting history," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/48167153

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Interesting. So in this attempt it seems that they will just focus on the one athlete.

Is 'later in the year' not too soon? Am I wrong in remembering that Breaking2 was 2yrs in the making? Or do they feel that they don't need to prep as long because it's just 26seconds they think they are working with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hasn’t he confirmed he’s defending his Berlin crown on 29th of September already? I know he’s the greatest marathon runner in the world, but no hope he breaks two hours if he races Berlin.

Advertisement