Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disc Brake Upgrade - Help Required

• 06-05-2019 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

All,

Need to upgrade my disc brakes from Avid BB5 mechanical to something much better and hydraulic. Looking to spend about maybe 300 or so. Will that get me a decent upgrade and can anyone say what kind of disc brakes will be compatible in this case? All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Has your bike Sram or Shimano groupset?
    Is it 10 speed or 11 speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is a follow on to this it would seem?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105924608

Hands up I'm no expert on hydraulics but I suspect you'd need new shifters for cabled -> hydraulic so thats €500 for a pair of Ultegra 8020 Hydraulics. Thats before any of the actual braking kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

11 speed Shimano.

I have ultegra shifters so do I just need to by disc calipers? I guess I can keep the same rotor?

11 speed Shimano.

I have ultegra shifters so do I just need to by disc calipers? I guess I can keep the same rotor?

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »
    11 speed Shimano.

Same rotor should do, but you'll need new shifters and callipers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

11 speed Shimano.

No - you'll need levers/shifters too! Your existing rotors may be ok.

You'll probably need a couple of adapters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Will the cable routing work for hydraulic lines?

Lumen wrote: »

If the bike is disc compatible, cable routing shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Lumen wrote: »
    If it's routed internally, take the OUTER casing out, leaving the inner in place.
    Push the new hydraulic casing over the inner for easy routing.
    Then remove the inner brake cable.

Plenty of info on this conversion online. Instructions are easy to follow once you have all you need on hand. Read the instructions over until its clear in your head
    I've done this a few times - if you need any help and are near Bray I'll be happy to give you a hand

BTW, last I checked merlin has great prices on hydraulic components

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    No - you'll need levers/shifters too! Your existing rotors may be ok.

You'll probably need a couple of adapters too.

Thanks. Is this totally certain? My bike already has ultegra shifters/levers. Can they not be re-used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks. Is this totally certain? My bike already has ultegra shifters/levers. Can they not be re-used?

Can the ESB man fix your toilet? Totally different system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

No,
    In a full hydraulic setup the levers have a hydraulic resovoir built into them.

Sell your old levers to offset the price of new kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

You can get converter systems if you wish..
    https://road.cc/content/review/93070-hope-v-twin-hydraulic-disc-brake-converter

I've seen one on a bike in a LBS which had a reservoir on the forward face of the stem, brake cables went in and hyd hoses out to the calipers. Not the most pleasing to the eye solution, but a possiblity

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect the cheapest option would be TRP hy-rd - which retain cable actuation but are hyraulic at the brake itself. would be backwards compatible with your brake levers, but not as much of an upgrade as going full hydraulic. should be about €250 for the pair, maybe worth reading the first review here as it was someone who upgraded from BB5s also:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/trp-hy-rd-caliper/rp-prod150518

I think I'll go for the 105s. I just can't afford an ultegra upgrade and it will still be a serious upgrade on bb5s.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-r7025-hydraulic-disc-brake/

That should work shouldn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think I'll go for the 105s. I just can't afford an ultegra upgrade and it will still be a serious upgrade on bb5s.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-r7025-hydraulic-disc-brake/

That should work shouldn't it?
    Is that the price for a single caliper and lever?

Is that the price for a single caliper and lever?

Yes,I think so.

Advertisement